NAB 2016 Post

How does video pano differ from just panning manually?
Does photo pano just means it gives you on-screen markers/instructions or does it actually stitches/corrects the exposure for you....?

For the people that bought Solo "$800" in the past 4 months, must be impressed with all the Major monthly Updates!

& For those of us who been enjoying Solo for almost a year "$1200" must also appreciate all the consistency, in Promises, Durability & Future adaptability.
Go 3DR!

We can agree Solo's value proposition just went up a bit...but we'll have to see the AR and new smart shots in action first.

Many of us pre-ordered at $1400 US...waited 4 months for the gimbal many of which had jello/limp issues...and we weren't even able to control the gopro for the longest time.

There were many growing pains with Solo...I have to say these smart shots are great but I feel like they will fully redeem themself for early adopters like myself if they release a weight adapter for the existing gimbal once the next Hero cam is released.

Don't really get the point of a tethered quad. how long is the tether?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
The tether is 200' and the price will be in the $1300-$1500 range. This thing is great if you mostly use the Solo for low altitude tracking shots like I do. One of the cool things about the tether (besides never needing to change a battery) is the module it uses weighs exactly the same as the stock Solo battery.

Attachments

• IMG_20160418_102352.jpg
    IMG_20160418_102352.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:
The tether is 200' and the price will be in the $1300-$1500 range. This thing is great if you mostly use the Solo for low altitude tracking shots like I do.
did you add a 1 by accident? I dont see the value on this over $500 max

Two main advantages - unlimited flight time (within reason), and the ability to use commercially without all the FAA requirements.

Tethered is still covered by FAA requirements. in order to be exempt from FAA requirements, there must be a cover OVER the drone, ie; tent. The unlimited flight time is a major benefit.

[edit- rich beat me to it]

Last edited:
sorry @Fluxley , I didnt doubt you, I just think that price point is rather absurd for a consumer...I can buy an entire Solo kit ++ for that price..basically a dummy battery AC adapter, a pelican case, and a 150-200 ft thin extension cord...oh well , good luck to them, will prbly sell to govt entities that dont care about price when spending taxpayer funds...

Reactions: Adimuzio513
Jumping in this huge thread as I saw you talked about the Solo updates. How cool is that? Cannot wait :)
I am really curious about the Follow updates though:
"Solo will also account for altitude changes (available on iPhone 6 and above) when following a subject climbing or descending slopes."

Only available on iPhone? What the heck? What does the iPhone has where Android doesn't?

Jumping in this huge thread as I saw you talked about the Solo updates. How cool is that? Cannot wait :)
I am really curious about the Follow updates though:
"Solo will also account for altitude changes (available on iPhone 6 and above) when following a subject climbing or descending slopes."

Only available on iPhone? What the heck? What does the iPhone has where Android doesn't?
Barometer. Lot of android phones don't have it.

@Lybior Hmm just did a search and all recent flagships from Samsung, LG and HTC has the barometer.
Well I will have to try it when the update comes.

We can agree Solo's value proposition just went up a bit...but we'll have to see the AR and new smart shots in action first.

Many of us pre-ordered at $1400 US...waited 4 months for the gimbal many of which had jello/limp issues...and we weren't even able to control the gopro for the longest time.

There were many growing pains with Solo...I have to say these smart shots are great but I feel like they will fully redeem themself for early adopters like myself if they release a weight adapter for the existing gimbal once the next Hero cam is released.

I counter that, maybe you feel they owe you more.
As an early adapter myself, they have delivered and more

Tethered is still covered by FAA requirements. in order to be exempt from FAA requirements, there must be a cover OVER the drone, ie; tent. The unlimited flight time is a major benefit.

[edit- rich beat me to it]

That was me who said that, and I stand corrected. I thought I read in another post that a user claimed the FAA said as long as it was attached to the ground or flown free under a roof, commercial operation was ok.

The govt. sure covers all the bases... except when it comes to corporate tax collections! ;)

I think Pano is more of a stills thing, dont believe it has a video application
You have to stitch in post

That was me who said that, and I stand corrected. I thought I read in another post that a user claimed the FAA said as long as it was attached to the ground or flown free under a roof, commercial operation was ok.

The govt. sure covers all the bases... except when it comes to corporate tax collections! ;)

In Canada, you're correct. For now. Canada is a bit behind the curve, and the draconian measures they're proposing will come out well after the US Part 107 is implemented. It's likely they'll place Tethered in the same category as the US currently does.

I think Pano is more of a stills thing, dont believe it has a video application
You have to stitch in post

Yea, I would be very surprised if it did anything beyond take stills at intervals while it panned. Just no need for it to do anything else, there's plenty of programs that will automatically stitch together stills into a panorama.

Microsoft has a free program that'll do panoramas and more: Image Composite Editor - Microsoft Research

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado