My Solo Crashed HARD = Always keep an eye on that battery level, period!

yes it's easy to armchair pilot and hindsight is 20/20...but criticism is healthy overall in the right dosage for the entire community.

If I messed up like OP did, Id gladly take these criticisms.

My post was in regards to the tone of your post. Discussion is welcome, but do it in a nice way. We aim to ensure that the forum is an enjoyable place that people want to visit repeatedly. The 3DRPilots Forum should be a virtual reflection of how we all hope the community of 3DR enthusiasts would act in the real world. Treat each other with respect just as you would if you were meeting in person for coffee before enjoying a day of flying together in shared airspace. This is a community of friends and partners who are collaborating to encourage and support a growing 3D Robotics community.
Welcome to the forum moderator. Have to agree with the above and have used the same analogy regarding meeting in person. On a side note; you appear to have your very own groupie or 'mini-me' following you around. He even likes your post in the classifieds when you inquire about sold items. Must be a huge fan..
Fly Safe..
Jubal

On a side note; you appear to have your very own groupie or 'mini-me' following you around. He even likes your post in the classifieds when you inquire about sold items. Must be a huge fan..
Fly Safe..
Jubal

Haha... fake it till you make it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum moderator. Have to agree with the above and have used the same analogy regarding meeting in person. On a side note; you appear to have your very own groupie or 'mini-me' following you around. He even likes your post in the classifieds when you inquire about sold items. Must be a huge fan..
Fly Safe..
Jubal
June eh? Welcome yourself noobie. :)
Hey what can I say? I'm just a likable guy. :)
I've been modding this family of forums here for almost 2 years now.
thumbs_up-3334.gif

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UPDATE:

After contacting 3DR, and on the phone for an hour with 3DR support, which by the way was very professional and helpful, the problem was determined to be caused probably by a Controller/link failure. I meant to make mention, the battery was at 60% after the climb, then the Controller display back-light turned orange and the displayed data froze. Also, on the tablet the telemetry data fields went to what I can describe as garbled although still receiving telemetry from Solo. I immediately hit Home and Solo did not respond right away, so I held down the Fly button to Land Now. We are not sure just what happened, but Solo finally responded and came to the vertical home point, probably by initiating an auto RTH, and by that time the battery level had just dropped, I had no control - even tried Manual to no avail.

Then, after powering off Controller and hooking it up to the charger all I got was blank/white display - not even a battery charge indicator. Pulled Controller battery and re-installed, same thing. After I got home I pulled the Controller battery overnight and re-connected battery, now it's LCD flickered some data then came 'up'. Controller still does not accept a full charge as shown on the 'charger connected' icon, nor will the Controller COMMUNICATE with Solo even after a full reset. So there you go. 3DR is going to inspect the Controller. I'm sure that was the issue as I've read about Controller failures elsewhere.

Should have suspected something with the Controller as I have had a temporary 'link lost' warning before with Solo just 100ft away LOS a few times in the past then the problem went away.

FYI: Since no communication can be made between Controller and Solo, even after reset, I could not even SSH into either device to attempt to retrieve the flight logs, dang it. Also during the flight I was using Alpha antenna's and had 3 bars of link signal. And yes, local ATC was notified and we flew in the exact time period we were required to, in fact the 4 days we were there, we did not observe one aircraft flying in the airspace over the private airfield.

So off it all goes to 3DR, I'm sure they will be able to figure it out. Will keep you all posted.

BTW: Did I say it was a pleasure dealing with 3DR support? I called them late at night from Florida. Within 10 minutes of the call I had an email containing exact shipment instructions, a FedEx shipping label, and a Solo repair packing list indicating exactly what to ship back. Can't beat that kind of service. The email from 3DR was sent at 9:11PM, CA time. 24/7 support, where else are you going to experience that?

Cheers

Last edited:
yes it's easy to armchair pilot and hindsight is 20/20...but criticism is healthy overall in the right dosage for the entire community.

If I messed up like OP did, Id gladly take these criticisms.

I your read my UPDATE, I did not mess up. Enough bashing here until you know all the FACTS. I joined this forum to share and for HELPFUL input from fellow Solo owners, NOT to be criticized. If this is not the case, then I will cancel my forum membership here period, and move elsewhere.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Miss me with the politics. Like I said in my post, if a serious injury would have occurred this conversation would have been a completely different discussion. If the OP wants to banter back and forth and only accept and openly receive sympathetic responses then he should DM his friends about his loss.

Nothing about my post was disrespectful nor unfriendly. If I'm not free to voice my opinion, re-using the adjectives that he stated himself, let me know. If you're comfortable with having "pilots" violate the BASIC rules of UAV flight; let us all know.

The guidelines and safety of all UAV flights whether imposed by the FAA or recommended by the manufacturer are in place for a reason and when they're broken or ignored, there's actually no place for friendliness.
Bro. You have the tact of a sledgehammer. I hope you don't talk to people like that in person. Because your trolling for a beating. That being said. I disagree with nothing you said in your post.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

UPDATE:

After contacting 3DR, and on the phone for an hour with 3DR support, which by the way was very professional and helpful, the problem was determined to be caused probably by a Controller/link failure. I meant to make mention, the battery was at 60% after the climb, then the Controller display back-light turned orange and the displayed data froze. Also, on the tablet the telemetry data fields went to what I can describe as garbled although still receiving telemetry from Solo. I immediately hit Home and Solo did not respond right away, so I held down the Fly button to Land Now. We are not sure just what happened, but Solo finally responded and came to the vertical home point, probably by initiating an auto RTH, and by that time the battery level had just dropped, I had no control - even tried Manual to no avail.

Then, after powering off Controller and hooking it up to the charger all I got was blank/white display - not even a battery charge indicator. Pulled Controller battery and re-installed, same thing. After I got home I pulled the Controller battery overnight and re-connected battery, now it's LCD flickered some data then came 'up'. Controller still does not accept a full charge as shown on the 'charger connected' icon, nor will the Controller COMMUNICATE with Solo even after a full reset. So there you go. 3DR is going to inspect the Controller. I'm sure that was the issue as I've read about Controller failures elsewhere.

Should have suspected something with the Controller as I have had a temporary 'link lost' warning before with Solo just 100ft away LOS a few times in the past then the problem went away.

FYI: Since no communication can be made between Controller and Solo, even after reset, I could not even SSH into either device to attempt to retrieve the flight logs, dang it. Also during the flight I was using Alpha antenna's and had 3 bars of link signal. And yes, local ATC was notified and we flew in the exact time period we were required to, in fact the 4 days we were there, we did not observe one aircraft flying in the airspace over the private airfield.

So off it all goes to 3DR, I'm sure they will be able to figure it out. Will keep you all posted.

BTW: Did I say it was a pleasure dealing with 3DR support? I called them late at night from Florida. Within 10 minutes of the call I had an email containing exact shipment instructions, a FedEx shipping label, and a Solo repair packing list indicating exactly what to ship back. Can't beat that kind of service. The email from 3DR was sent at 9:11PM, CA time. 24/7 support, where else are you going to experience that?

Cheers
Hey Chip, Glad to hear 3DR is working with you on this. Regarding the logs, they should also be on your tablet. Would be an interesting one to see if you can find it. Post it up if you get a chance.. And thanks for posting!

Jubal

Reactions: Chip Luck
UPDATE:

Cheers
After reading your update Chip..it seems like 3DR is saying that the Controller screwed up and cause your solo to come falling down..?
So if that's the case..will they be replacing everything that was damage for free..? Or is it to early to tell?

Just curious ..

I your read my UPDATE, I did not mess up. Enough bashing here until you know all the FACTS. I joined this forum to share and for HELPFUL input from fellow Solo owners, NOT to be criticized. If this is not the case, then I will cancel my forum membership here period, and move elsewhere.

Thank you.
Glad everything worked out. :)
As far as issues here, if you see something out of place or someone acting out, feel free to smash that report button and the staff will handle it. There's no reason for good members to leave, we'll make sure the bad one do. ;)

Glad everything worked out. :)
As far as issues here, if you see something out of place or someone acting out, feel free to smash that report button and the staff will handle it. There's no reason for good members to leave, we'll make sure the bad one do. ;)

Luv,

Ease up a bit. This is also a place to relieve a few frustrations. As long as people don't get "too" loose, let 'em roll! Nothing in this thread thus far warrants any "moderating" intervention. Mostly, a very informative discussion. JMHO, of course. Where is Earl when we need him?

Jerry

Reactions: Acroduster
Luv,

Ease up a bit. This is also a place to relieve a few frustrations. As long as people don't get "too" loose, let 'em roll! Nothing in this thread thus far warrants any "moderating" intervention. Mostly, a very informative discussion. JMHO, of course. Where is Earl when we need him?

Jerry

"This is also a place to relieve a few frustrations. As long as people don't get "too" loose, let 'em roll!"
I respect your opinion Jerry and I agree with you And for the record, I am very easy to get along with. I would hate to think you are okay with members berating other members as that is what happened in this thread. And as it turns out, it was not operator error as most suspected.

There are rules here that every member agreed to when joining the forum, and I am here to back those up. I understand many people don't like rules or structure but if we weren't here doing our job it would not be a nice place to visit for everyone, just a few. When the PhantomPilots grew and was left to it's own policing it turned into a circus. Several mods including myself have cleaned it up and made it a great place to hang out and there are over 35,000 members and its still growing. I am not here to hassle anyone, or target anyone... I am here to keep the peace and hopefully make some friends along the way.

It is unfortunate if some members here don't appreciate the staff and all we do here. If a member here receives a warning or there is a public request made by a mod, please respect that.

TJ

"This is also a place to relieve a few frustrations. As long as people don't get "too" loose, let 'em roll!" TJ

Wow, lot's to absorb there. I don't have any issue with any moderator, I think it's a good thing. I applaud and respect anyone willing to take on that responsibility as long as good people aren't chased away. I wouldn't do it. I'm a Marine, I understand structure and the need for such.

Every now and again, not frequently, but every now and again, a rigid structure leads to communism. It's a bit more noticeable in these small social environments. Somebody gets their nose out of joint and all hell breaks loose.

IMHO, this forum is for learning and communicating many different thoughts about a single, common objective. People do many different things to perpetuate a positive outcome. Sometimes they are successful, many times (American or global interjection) they are not as fruitful. Frustration, and in some cases, anger and resentment supersedes logic and the voice of reason is silenced.

In this particular thread that has not been the case. Many have gotten upset and angered but no post within this thread has been cause for any sort of major concern. Interjecting or warning of such is not necessary. As far as I can tell everyone has held temper. They have expressed ignorance, denial and even anger and frustration but nothing that merits censor or admonition.

This is a place to learn for me. It won't succeed if the "watchers" are "watching" and admonish those with opposing positions and sometimes unjustified temperament.

Sometimes you just got to let 'em fight it out! Not very new school, I understand, but extremely effective. I would think a good moderator would be like a good ref, stay out of the way unless your presence is warranted. Don't see it here but I've been wrong a zillion times before.

Big fights on tonight. Rousey is taking on a traditional boxer. It will be interesting to see how she fairs against a traditional boxer. A boxer and a fighter are two entirely different things. I hope you'll be watching.

As many say here...Cheers!

Jerry

Last edited:
I know that I'll be watching it !!!! Rousey is one incredible UFC athlete !

Sorry for being off topic.. It's just Rousey is soooo sexy..:) lol

I swear I wont say anything more. Sexy ain't got a thing to do with it, the "B" is a fighter, not a boxer. Maybe the best ever. Arm bars from Mom since she was six.

No more, this is a Solo site, damnit!

Jerry

Reactions: Del

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig