mRobotics M8N GPS

Many months ago I installed the M8N from RTF quads and have been getting all the benefits mentioned here.

Yes, I did have to cut the wires but I have had no problems at all.

Aside from no wire cutting, is this one any different?

Reactions: Coastwise
I just attempted to order one of the M8n and it shows free shipping. When I check out with PayPal it wants to charge me for shipping.
Anyone else run into that? I ended up canceling my order.

I just attempted to order one of the M8n and it shows free shipping. When I check out with PayPal it wants to charge me for shipping.
I believe to get free shipping there is a minimum order amount and the M8n doesn't meet the minimum amount. I had the same prob but chose USPS shipping and is wan't all that much.

I bought a Solo at BB the other day and having not had one for a long time did not keep up on everything Solo much. This GPS is interesting as mine from last year did act glitchy at times, although more annoying waiting than anything. This latest one peters out at 12 sats, but will drop to 9 while flying. That makes me a bit nervous, so I ordered the mRo R2 because it is a direct replacement.

BTW, there are rumors the Solo controller can send the incorrect home point to the Solo effectively causing it to fly to never never land, whereas using Tower won't do that. Is there any truth to the controller doing this?

I believe to get free shipping there is a minimum order amount and the M8n doesn't meet the minimum amount. I had the same prob but chose USPS shipping and is wan't all that much.
Not sure what the minimum is but the ad shows that it qualifies for free shipping. On another note, if I install this unit and have a crash that's totally unrelated 3dr won't cover it under warranty. I guess I'd better wait til next June.

mRo GPS u-Blox Neo-M8N (Release 2)

BTW, there are rumors the Solo controller can send the incorrect home point to the Solo effectively causing it to fly to never never land, whereas using Tower won't do that. Is there any truth to the controller doing this?
No. The controller is not used for any position data as it does not have a GPS or any other ability to determine a location. You are referring to a bug in the 3DR app only in regards to using the Return To Me feature. IF you don't set it to RTM, then there is no issue. Better yet, use the Solex app. I quit using the 3DR app over a month ago.

I noticed that, but found somewhere that the free shipping only comes into effect on an order of $199 or above. Other companies do the same thing - something qualifies for free shipping, but the free shipping depends on something else. It wasn't enough of an issue for me to cancel the order, I just chose USPS shipping and it crossed the country in 2 days and was delivered on Saturday. There's also a FREE5 discount code for 5% off your first order.

Just sent Jordi an email to see what satellite systems he would need to configure into the board to work effectively here in Australia, if any changes are needed. Also if he will ship to Australia too. Will see what he says I guess.

If you use the stock shield, you need to include a 1.25" square or so piece of cardboard to "prevent shorting". This is from the install video that Jordi put out. I used the new shield and did not include the cardboard.

Reactions: SARDG
Not sure what the minimum is but the ad shows that it qualifies for free shipping. On another note, if I install this unit and have a crash that's totally unrelated 3dr won't cover it under warranty. I guess I'd better wait til next June.

mRo GPS u-Blox Neo-M8N (Release 2)

I just ordered 2 M8n for my 2 Solos...
If anything wrong happen, can the flight log register that the GPS board installed is not original?
I do no think so... but better ask...

I just ordered 2 M8n for my 2 Solos...
If anything wrong happen, can the flight log register that the GPS board installed is not original?
I do no think so... but better ask...

I don't think it can detect that the GPS unit isn't stock... but that can be determined fairly easily by the fact that it will register 20+ satellites.

I don't think it can detect that the GPS unit isn't stock... but that can be determined fairly easily by the fact that it will register 20+ satellites.

So do you recon that in this case 3DR guarantee would not cover an eventual problem arguing that the GPS' lock is too good?!

So do you recon that in this case 3DR guarantee would not cover an eventual problem arguing that the GPS' lock is too good?!
They can use whatever they want to refuse warranty service.
I contacted them asking if using Solex would void warranty. Their answer was yes it would.

In the past, if the problem was clearly unrelated to a mod, they wouldn't take an issue with it, but given the financial situation, they seem to have become more likely to refuse service with any reason they can find.

I guess we all take our chances, personally, I think the improved GPS performance is worth the risk.

Reactions: SARDG
They can use whatever they want to refuse warranty service.
I contacted them asking if using Solex would void warranty. Their answer was yes it would.
Don, you have to remember and realize how SW on the Solo works, and also that NO software is required/needed to fly the Solo. Here are 3 scenarios with probable outcomes:

A) Your flying Solo and using Solex to fly a Cablecam. Solo crashed and you were unable to stop it. Likely cause is possible motor failure or EKF errors that were bad enough that Solo lost orientation. You send in the logs to 3DR. They look them over and determine that the crash was not pilot error and they contact you for your replacement.

B) You are flying Solo in manual and having a blast burning holes in the Sky. No tablet/phone being used at all, just the controller and the Solo. Solo crashed and you were unable to stop it. Likely cause is possible motor failure or EKF errors that were bad enough that Solo lost orientation. You send in the logs to 3DR. They look them over and determine that the crash was not pilot error and they contact you for your replacement.

C) Your flying Solo and using Solex to fly a Cablecam. Solo crashed and you were unable to stop it. Likely cause is possible motor failure or EKF errors that were bad enough that Solo lost orientation. You send in the logs to 3DR. After sending in the logs, you immediately contact 3DR through Chat to let them know "Hey before you look at the logs, just wanted to let you know that I was using a 3rd party app when it crashed". Now 2 possible outcomes;
1) They look at the logs and determine that is was an equipment failure and honor the warranty anyway since the crash was unrelated to any SW. (Likely only because history has shown they are very good at honoring warranties when their equipment is at fault).
2) They don't honor the warranty or even bother looking at the logs since they have an out.

Solo logs do not register SW being used, if any. It will only show the Mode it was in while in fight; ie; Guided (smart shots, RTH, Tower missions, etc) or non guided modes like 'Fly, manual, stabilize, acro, drift, etc.. If you are in any mode and simply fly into an object through pilot error, the logs will show that Solo was being commanded and executed those commands as requested with no errors or equipment faults, and therefore no warranty.

Reactions: Perry Lawrence
Don, you have to remember and realize how SW on the Solo works, and also that NO software is required/needed to fly the Solo. Here are 3 scenarios with probable outcomes:

A) Your flying Solo and using Solex to fly a Cablecam. Solo crashed and you were unable to stop it. Likely cause is possible motor failure or EKF errors that were bad enough that Solo lost orientation. You send in the logs to 3DR. They look them over and determine that the crash was not pilot error and they contact you for your replacement.

B) You are flying Solo in manual and having a blast burning holes in the Sky. No tablet/phone being used at all, just the controller and the Solo. Solo crashed and you were unable to stop it. Likely cause is possible motor failure or EKF errors that were bad enough that Solo lost orientation. You send in the logs to 3DR. They look them over and determine that the crash was not pilot error and they contact you for your replacement.

C) Your flying Solo and using Solex to fly a Cablecam. Solo crashed and you were unable to stop it. Likely cause is possible motor failure or EKF errors that were bad enough that Solo lost orientation. You send in the logs to 3DR. After sending in the logs, you immediately contact 3DR through Chat to let them know "Hey before you look at the logs, just wanted to let you know that I was using a 3rd party app when it crashed". Now 2 possible outcomes;
1) They look at the logs and determine that is was an equipment failure and honor the warranty anyway since the crash was unrelated to any SW. (Likely only because history has shown they are very good at honoring warranties when their equipment is at fault).
2) They don't honor the warranty or even bother looking at the logs since they have an out.

Solo logs do not register SW being used, if any. It will only show the Mode it was in while in fight; ie; Guided (smart shots, RTH, Tower missions, etc) or non guided modes like 'Fly, manual, stabilize, acro, drift, etc.. If you are in any mode and simply fly into an object through pilot error, the logs will show that Solo was being commanded and executed those commands as requested with no errors or equipment faults, and therefore no warranty.
Hi Jubaiir,
I totally get that and agree. I'm just stating what 3DR told me.
I chatted them up and specifically asked if they would honor warranty if I used Solex.
Of course, they said no.

I agree the app isn't changing anything in the code and therefore shouldn't be an issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M