mRo question

not that one, I think it adds compass to the GPS which Here already has
Going to dump my MRO for a second here and donate my MRO to Rich

I don't think this does add a compass or at least I couldn't see a mention of it. I think the difference is that it brings it up to the same level as the HERE gps and they added the two extra holes so it fits into the solo better (the previous MRO only had two screw holes as far as I remember).

I did get three of the previous revision MRO's and found them to be waaaaaaay better than the Rev A board that was on my solo (I bought 2 more solo's, hence the MRO upgrade). Then again fixing a map in front of the solo's camera would be a better GPS alternative than the Rev A board.

I then went and bought a HERE system to see if it was better than the MRO. The results were.... maybe.... Look at it this way, I did an indoor test of the sats and hdop and across the board, the results were pretty much the same. In fact one of the MRO 's actually got a better signal than the HERE system, then again, one of the MRO 's couldn't get a lock at all (remember, this was indoors, on a rainy cloudy day, in a house that's on the side of a hill surrounded by tall thick tree's... can't even get a tv signal here). Point being, I did this lame ass test in the worst conditions possible and still managed to get a pre arm sat lock on all but one drone (all tested at the same time, same location, 3 MRO's and 1 HERE). As soon as it stops raining in the PNW I'll do an outdoor test (ie next May).

I like the HERE because it looks awesome, it moves the GPS up and away from the body and it's got a compass installed, so you can retire the compass from the leg too, so no more "magnetic interference" messages when taking off from that big pile of scrap iron..... or so my theory goes... o_O

Reactions: brianuc4
yeah indoor tests are kind of irrelevant, none of them were designed to work like that.
But yeah I agree with that assessment

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
IrishmanPDX-

I agree the HERE looks pretty damn cool. Also getting rid of the leg compass has me leaning more toward the HERE rather than mRo.

yeah indoor tests are kind of irrelevant, none of them were designed to work like that.
But yeah I agree with that assessment
I should have slipped something in like "doing the test indoors just shows how sensitive the gps is as I didn't think I'd get a signal at all through all the tinfoil lining the walls..." and just left it at that... :p

i tend to stick with what works, nothing I have bought from Hex has caused me any heartburn. Hooks up and works as expected.
Just wish they mad gimbal controllers. now that is hot mess trying to decipher

i tend to stick with what works, nothing I have bought from Hex has caused me any heartburn. Hooks up and works as expected.
Just wish they mad gimbal controllers. now that is hot mess trying to decipher
Ok Brianuc4 just made me think of something. One of my birds had a bad compass leg, so pulled it out and replaced it, total of 4-6 minutes (hey, putting the connector back in was a pain in the butt!). Any chance of the compass in the HERE going bad? Totally different type of compass so nothing to worry about? Because lets face it, replacing a compass leg is currently cheaper than replacing a HERE.

No problems with the Here, just asking a theoretical question. But aye, I adjusted the parameters for the Here using the package in Solex. Had just installed open solo a few weeks before the newer version came out, installed the here and then upgraded to the newer version of open solo and did the here parameters package at the same time. No issues.

Reactions: pyrate
I got the "purple" one about a month ago, the said they changed the attn. for better sat. acquisition and it seems it faster and picks more sats. then my old mro's

Reactions: morris
I installed the purple one about a month ago as well, and have had no issues. It's way faster than the Rev A (original Solo GPS), and the first time out it had acquired about 15-17 satellites. At the time I installed it, I did the cardboard upgrade as well since there had been reports on that issue. I may upgrade to the HERE at some point, but for now the mRo is working fine.

I have the purple mRo, and tonight while flying, noticed that I had 21 satellites with a 0.5 HDOP. :)

I have the purple mRo, and tonight while flying, noticed that I had 21 satellites with a 0.5 HDOP. :)
Looks like I'll be upgrading my GPS sooner than expected, my measly 8-10 sats is getting old!

Both the HERE and Mro work great. It depends if you want the original form factor on the Solo or if you want to ditch the leg compass. I use both and am very satisfied with the two of them.

Reactions: DJMc
I bought the purple one 2 weeks ago. Installed it and im still getting 7-9 satellite's but now with 0.7 HDOP instead or 2.5 HDOP and im getting it at about 1/3 of thime it took the stock one. Also did tge cardboard upgrade.

I bought the purple one 2 weeks ago. Installed it and im still getting 7-9 satellite's but now with 0.7 HDOP instead or 2.5 HDOP and im getting it at about 1/3 of thime it took the stock one. Also did tge cardboard upgrade.
That doesn't sound right, you should be getting more sats than that. Did you get in touch with mRobotics?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44