Roland,

Put in an app at 3dr, I think they might hire you. It'd be a lot of fun anyway it went. Your work is greatly appreciated even if I don't understand most of it!

Jerry
Thanks Jerry,
Id be up for that, I could even work remotely. How about it @Vu.3DR ? LOL.

Reactions: J R
Thanks Jerry,
Id be up for that, I could even work remotely. How about it @Vu.3DR ? LOL.

Roland,

The "word" is already in, just keep doing what you're doing. Keep helping guys like me and Pyrate. Straight up. Put an app in, don't wait for them to call you. Following my drift?

Jerry

Thanks for the kind words guys. The more we know and share, the better the end result will be for all of us. <- snip ->

Careful @RichWest you may start an avalanche. I offerred something similar a few years ago in the RC car community and ended up with a hobby "modding' business that lasted a few years.
These days I prefer to "teach a man how to fish" but i understand about being neighbourly and I think you are very generous, especially for our special needs cases, LOL.

No worries here, these people couldn't afford my rates...;) And yes, teaching is a good thing, no doubt.

I can't wait to give this mod a whirl!!!!!

This work is amazing Roland, thanks for your efforts.
I'm in Perth as well - do you reckon I could hire your services and test-rig one evening in the near future please? I've all but given up on my Solo at the moment and I don't have the time nor skills to get rid of the vibrations. I'd be keen to either balance the stock kit or attempt to get some Axi motors onto the Solo. Even if we could just get an Axi on your test rig that'd be great to see how a $100 motor stacks up with the cheaper options.

OK, going to jump in here. Although Ive posted in the past I think this has some "bearing" on the discussion lol. Replaced the bearings in mostly new 3DR motors with Boca Bearings and a significant difference in flight sound and frankly seems smoother although that could be the result of SOLO updates. My point is after the bearing replacements I am very pleased with the video quality I am getting now. I did a short test a few days ago in 15-20 mph wind. I have balanced the props (all stock) and a PPro Nd 8 filter counterbalanced with a nicklel. Here is a 2 min clip and if you watch it note the palm trees blowing around and the canvas around the courts. For reference points watch the straight lines on the nets and fences. I was watching SOLO getting bumped and tossed around in the wind but that was what the test was about. I think it's performance was very, very good.

https://vimeo.com/148488944

OK, going to jump in here. Although Ive posted in the past I think this has some "bearing" on the discussion lol. Replaced the bearings in mostly new 3DR motors with Boca Bearings and a significant difference in flight sound and frankly seems smoother although that could be the result of SOLO updates. My point is after the bearing replacements I am very pleased with the video quality I am getting now. I did a short test a few days ago in 15-20 mph wind. I have balanced the props (all stock) and a PPro Nd 8 filter counterbalanced with a nicklel. Here is a 2 min clip and if you watch it note the palm trees blowing around and the canvas around the courts. For reference points watch the straight lines on the nets and fences. I was watching SOLO getting bumped and tossed around in the wind but that was what the test was about. I think it's performance was very, very good.

Very nice David. That looks very good to my old eyes! You are right, the lines and netting makes for great reference.

These are the Boca Bearing P/N's for SEALED bearings: SR2-LL/C3C and SR2-5UU3. I apologize for the previous P/N/s but these are correct for sealed bearings. They will run you about $16 per pair,,but to me they were worth it as a bearing failure in flight,,well, guess I don't need to elaborate.

http://www.bocabearings.com/

Reactions: dml931 and J R

Thanks @David Weston, that was my point in post #76, that you may be able to get away with a good enough fix just by changing out noisey bearings, (and balancing the props) and in your case you got a good result just by doing this.

Reactions: RichWest and J R
Thanks @David Weston, that was my point in post #76, that you may be able to get away with a good enough fix just by changing out noisey bearings, (and balancing the props) and in your case you got a good result just by doing this.
I agree, that was my experience as well and very good advice for others to try bearing replacement first.

Motors arrived, buttery smooth in hand for the box I opened. Thanks again Roland for the excellent thread and knowledge on the subject.

Be another week or two before I'll install on my bird. I'd like to get the gimbal vibration down further using the original motors, hoping that I can help others that would not upgrade. I've made interesting progress this week.

Reactions: J R and RolandS888
Finally got my motors spun up in MP. Made me want to cry. They all sound like banshees.
Been there. Thats what started me down this road in the first place. Shocking and disappointing. Have a play with the bearings if you are able, it will most likely solve most of your issues.

Motors arrived, buttery smooth in hand for the box I opened. Thanks again Roland for the excellent thread and knowledge on the subject.
Be another week or two before I'll install on my bird. I'd like to get the gimbal vibration down further using the original motors, hoping that I can help others that would not upgrade. I've made interesting progress this week.
They are a good motor, and no problem Rich, Im always happy to help.
Let us know your progress. If you can get it done in a week I think you are doing well, given the time of year and all

Thought I'd post a pic of how it finished up.
The APC 1045MR(ST) props have been dyed black in RIT for an hour and I think they look better that way. More like stock.
I changed the nuts for stainless after one started to show signs of corrosion, and they are CA'd in place and were clamped for 5 minutes to dry.
Then they were rebalanced again, and I got fussy on them this time.
As far as practicality and convenience is concerned, this setup is identical to stock in so much as props are removable and setup time has not changed.
Vibes and noise are largely gone, my last flight I (gently) grabbed hold of one of the legs while it was hovering (being VERY careful - I do not suggest or recommend anyone do this - ever) and there was some very minor vibes, but I know I had one prop that was not balanced.
That should be corrected now.
Video is smooth, I will post vids in time. Most of the video I am doing at the moment is bog boring, its all flight tests.

Video smoothness is assisted by using a ribbon cable (same as relish type) for the HDMI board to gimbal link, and
I have also rewired the gimbal data cable in 32AWG silicon wire with a loop. so there is no force being conveyed into the gimbal from wiring at all..
The gimbal now is totally isolated from the fuselage, if any movement is seen in the video it is because I moved the craft too quickly and the balls are too soft.
All up weight with the mods done is 1.90kg (4.19Lb) Im not sure how much weight was added, I am assuming from literature that a stock Solo weighs 1.8kg.
At this point I am happy with the result.

IMGP4651.JPG

Last edited:
But...
I think I am not totaly finished with this project.

Tonight I was playing with a motor/prop combo that was showing efficiency numbers which would give over 20 minutes flight time (to empty)
So you may see another thread coming for that one.

Last edited:
Reactions: J R

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig