Mas props best way to hold on

Reaction score
Read a few posts here and what is best way to attach these props, just tighten down nut maybe teflon tape? Just don't want to lose a prop and then probable the drone, just a head count please on those ho like and those who don't and why. Thanks and any help would be appreciated as always One Love
Paul

Read a few posts here and what is best way to attach these props, just tighten down nut maybe teflon tape? Just don't want to lose a prop and then probable the drone, just a head count please on those ho like and those who don't and why. Thanks and any help would be appreciated as always One Love
Paul

Just like the Solo original propellers, the Master Airscrew are self tightening. Thread them on and they are done. No need to torque them down. No Teflon tape. Don't put anything on the threads.

Because the nuts are separate from the propellers, it is possible to install the propellers incorrectly and cause your Solo to stay on the ground or flip. Glue the nuts into the proper propeller when you first get them using two or three small drops of superglue and you will never lose your nuts or accidentally install the propellers in the wrong locations. Match the proper colored nut to each propeller, apply the glue, and put propellers on the Solo to tighten down the nut within the propeller so that it pulls down and dries straight. The glue is holding the nut to the propeller, not the motor shaft.

If you are going to use your Solo to take videos, be sure to balance your propellers AFTER you glue the nuts in place.

I like these over the stock propellers because they are more quiet, help the Solo stay more stable, and hold up to small impacts better.

The Solo factory props are impressive and messing around with different props might spell disaster. I have messed with many different props
on the X380 and the best were the 9450 carbon fiber props but every one of them had to be balanced and that can be a headache. I might add,
the carbon fiber props were better than the cheap factory props sent with the quad. Just be careful using carbon fiber props on these quads they
are dangerous and they are NOT AS BRITTLE as people say! I found that they are more stable in flight and faster than the stock props on my
X380. I doubt if I will ever use a alternative prop on the Solo since the stock ones seem to work great.

Paul

Tighten the props down tight by hand and the only way they could come off would be because they were loose to begin with. Full throttle with
reverse direction could cause a prop to come loose if it was not tighten down. The motor will reverse and spin on sudden changes in direction.
I suspect that is why the race quads are not using self-tightening props. NEVER NEVER use LOCTITE on props! Loctite will melt the plastic
on props along with some oils.

Reactions: Pauls007
The motors NEVER reverse on SOLO. They change speeds or slow down, but never reverse direction.

And I doubt if there is enough mass (and thus inertia) to self loosen even on the most drastically allowable change in speed even on ArduPilot Master

I love the MA props. To install, I hold the nut and prop with one hand, and turn the motor with the other hand until the nut is pulled into the hex hole in the prop. I only turn the motor until I feel a LITTLE resistance. Tighter than that is not needed, since they are self-tightening. There is no danger of them falling off unless the nut is not seated in the prop's hex-shaped hole correctly.

i also love the MA props way tougher than stock...look great with the green and orange, i have glued the nuts to the prop with some crazy glue careful to not get into threads and on correct prop , Black on Reversed prop ,silver on regular prop,
and when installing simply put onto motor pod ,spin on till comes snug then give an extra little tension not tight just snug then your good to go!

Becareful using any kind of chemicals on plastic! I found out the hard way thinking LocTite would be good on my X380 so I added a little to
the motor shaft threads for the prop nuts and went to fly the quad and I noticed that a prop was bent? It was a good thing that I noticed what
was going on. The LocTite will melt plastic and I could just pull the blades off of the shafts! I ended up using lacquor cleaner to remove the
LocTite so I could put the DJI props on the quad.

The motors NEVER reverse on SOLO. They change speeds or slow down, but never reverse direction.

And I doubt if there is enough mass (and thus inertia) to self loosen even on the most drastically allowable change in speed even on ArduPilot Master

Some of the complaints with crashes on the X380s were caused by props flying off and what I found with that craft was operator error,
forgetting to tighten down the prop nuts. Even putting the props on the motors wrong! :D

I only use the MAS props. In my opinion, they are better than the stock props. Easy to put on, and the quad performs better with them. I hold the nut on the hub and spin the motor by hand to attach the prop.
John Hopper posted a Youtube video where he tested the MAS props vs the stock props on a workbench apparatus. He showed that, at the same level of thrust (250 grams), the MAS props required less power draw, proving that the MAS props are more efficient that the stock props. Over time, there is less wear on the motors. Also, the MAS props are balanced at the factory, so you should not have to balance them at all out of the box.
I did not glue the nuts to the props. I store my quad in the backpack, and I have to remove the props at the end of each flight session. I keep the nuts on the shafts when I place the Solo in the backpack as protection for the tips. When I install the props, I always use the one silver stock prop as a reference to ensure proper placement.

I only use the MAS props. In my opinion, they are better than the stock props. Easy to put on, and the quad performs better with them. I hold the nut on the hub and spin the motor by hand to attach the prop.
John Hopper posted a Youtube video where he tested the MAS props vs the stock props on a workbench apparatus. He showed that, at the same level of thrust (250 grams), the MAS props required less power draw, proving that the MAS props are more efficient that the stock props. Over time, there is less wear on the motors. Also, the MAS props are balanced at the factory, so you should not have to balance them at all out of the box.
I did not glue the nuts to the props. I store my quad in the backpack, and I have to remove the props at the end of each flight session. I keep the nuts on the shafts when I place the Solo in the backpack as protection for the tips. When I install the props, I always use the one silver stock prop as a reference to ensure proper placement.

You might want to review his 2nd test at a higher rpm he stated that the difference was "minor".
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Another thing, the MAS props use a nut to secure it to the motors and if you glue the nuts to the props you must rebalance the props since the glue can
change the hub balance. I haven't checked the price on the MAS props but I would bet the 4 nuts and props cost more than the factory props.

I haven't really noticed a big difference in amp draw. Maybe a little. The big difference seems to be the RC OUT to the motors. Its less. And it also oscillates up and down less. The wider cord of the blade gets a better bite in the air I guess.

Reactions: EZL
I don't like the idea of using prop-nuts mainly because it takes more time to mount the props with a wrench and it's easier to get one mixed up.

I don't like the idea of using prop-nuts mainly because it takes more time to mount the props with a wrench ....

Good heavens, you should not use a wrench! They should only be attached barely finger-tight. After gently landing Solo, if you need a wrench to remove the props, you attached them too tightly.

Reactions: UAVIZ
One reason why I wouldn't use props that required prop nuts! Prop wrenches are sold for the quads, RC boats and winged craft:
Emax Talon Wrench For RS22/MT22 Ⅱ Series Motors - drone racing tool
Some quads need to have the prop nuts tight:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
The MAS nuts are self tightening no need for a wrench at all...You center the nuts in the prop hub then hold the prop and nut while spinning the motor to tighten onto the stud real easy peasy....no tools needed

I finally bought a set of Master Airscrew props. ($22 on Amazon for a set of 4).

I bought white because I know from other quads it is much more visable than any other color. Not "cool" looking but I can see them in flight.

I glued the nuts into the hubs with super glue while they were off Solo. No need to do this when mounted. I then balanced the props and hubs. Two props and one hub needed balancing.

I then conducted a sound comparison. I put Solo in a hover about 8' above the ground. I then stood to the side and held my Extech sound meter above my head, about 2' from Solo. The stock props registered approx. 80dB.

Repeated test with MA props and they registered approx. 75 dB.

Went flying and I thought the MA props sounded "smoother" and less annoying than stock. Still need to see how video turns out. If it stays the same or improves, I'll stay with MA props.

Reactions: EZL

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig