M8N GPS Cable

Reaction score
Ok, I made my first M8N cable today. I ran into only one problem, I ordered 6 pin JST SH Pigtail and received 8 pin pigtail. So I ordered some 6 pin plugs today. I'm just pulling the wires from the 8's and using the original 6 pin plug that came with the GPS for now. Crimping the Clik-Mate worked out without the need for a $400 crimper, Yay.

I'm assuming all the M8N's out there have the 6 pin JST SH plug. Let me know if I'm wrong.

Pigtail.jpg

Anyone need one of these cables let me know via a PM. They'll ship as an 6" cable with Clik-Mate on one end and 4 loose wires with JST SH connector on the other end. You'll have to use the plug that come with the GPS for now.

Last edited:
Reactions: tim3243
If you've ordered several connectors, would you be interested in making some and selling them?

what is the name of the connector on solo side?
on your picture on right side...
someone know this?
thanks!

Sometime next week, I will be making a decision about swapping the GPS out. Still evaluating the GPS performance. If I decide to go M8N, I will definitely buy one of your cables.

I'll be putting these out next week (Monday). On Spring Break vacation with the family right now.

I'm still on the fence about the M8N, I have one ready and waiting but need your cable.

Where do you stand on "production"?

PM your address to me and I'll send you one today. I believe it will only work on the RTFQ version of the M8N, as the Dortek looks to be a four pin.

Attachments

• IMG_0401.jpg
    IMG_0401.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 30
Hi divemasterphil, i'm intered by a GPS M8N cable. Are you able to make one more ?

Do they now come with both connectors? Do they come with the little donuts? (Can't recall what they're called)

The little donut is ferrite choke. It suppresses RFI in the circuit. That's what nearly every little block on the end of a piece of cable for electronic devices is actually.

The M8Ns I've seen commercially available, including the one sitting on my kitchen table (aka workbench) right now do not come with connectors for the Solo. I bought a solo connector with pigtail from Digikey so I can make my own Solo-to-M8N cable without chopping up the stock cable.

Phil no longer makes them. I asked a while back. The tool he bought sucked and was too troublesome. But the connectors with pigtails are dirt cheap on digikey. I'll find it later.

Hi Pedals2Paddles, please, can you advise about how to choose the right ferrite choke ?
Do you have a link for ferrite choke on digi-key ?

- this is the right connector for solo ? http://www.digikey.com/en/ptm/m/mol...n/clik-mate-1-25-smt-wire-to-board-connectors
- which choke i have to choose ? http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/filters/ferrite-cores-cables-and-wiring/3408554?k=ferrite choke
This seems to be the best, most well thought out upgrade advise regarding the M8 upgrade..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44