Low Level Solo Flyaway's/Crashes : now 7 times, anyone else?

OK... here we go.

Well, never mind that, this is the error from this site I get when trying to upload:

The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension.

solo2.tlog

---

I usually share mine on Google drive. May be an option for you. maybe try zipping the log and upload again.

Please don't attempt any more flights.

Sent from the 4th dimension using my Nexus 6

I'm a design and test engineer, are you kidding me? Just how do you suppose I trouble shoot this issue? It will not be around people any more, you can count on that... I need to collect data, that's what I do.

Cheers

Isn't this the problem that the first or second firmware update was supposed to have fixed?

I thought Solo now was suppose to automatically go into manually mode when GPS Signal was lost. Right or wrong?

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Well, this flight was awesome. No issues at all (and first time recording in 2K on GP4 Silver). All I did was power on Solo facing north - have no idea if that has anything to do with it. @SkyDoctor, I have no idea on that, I'm too new with this thing to comment. More testing to come and get logs out. BTW: anyone know why I cannot upload the logs here, I get that previously mentioned error message when uploading.

Cheers

I have had this issue 3 times. First was a surprise, was flying in my back yard flew over a steel roof and next to a 100' or so red wood tree. Drifted into it, it poped out dropped out of sight then back up funny as as can be. Landed on the roof and took off again and lost control it took off to the right I had no control! Sent the logs in 3dr said its fine make sure to take off from a level spot.
1) why did it drift into the tree
2) why did it take off from an unlevel spot
3) why no response from the controller

The next time I was flying in manual I flew under the steel roof and back out just fine then flew back under but this time when I came back out it panicked and took off at full tilt. And I had no response from the controls.
Repeated same results.

My takeaway is flying in manual works in gps coverage and when not in gps coverage. But when going from coverage to no coverage and back to coverage again it gets panicked (I know panicked is not the righ word but can't think of a better one). And you have no control or in put.

Next and this seems to be missed by most. GPS is not just a clear sky thing... It bounces off stuff! Like buildings, trees, mountains close and Far and your altitude makes a difference in what satalites are available. They all affect the quality and strength of you signal. Not to mention electrical and electrical magnetic interference.

I'm a design and test engineer, are you kidding me? Just how do you suppose I trouble shoot this issue? It will not be around people any more, you can count on that... I need to collect data, that's what I do.

Cheers
"Just how do you suppose I trouble shoot this?"
Sorry, you already been told "How to" 7 times...

OK, let's try this log file upload again as a .zip:

Looked liked it worked, awaiting your humble input.

Cheers

Attachments

• ChipLuck_Solo_Support_Logs_090815_X1.zip
    590.3 KB · Views: 8
First, I'm not going to be TOLD anything, I'm a bloody 20+ years engineer. If you cannot contribute positively, then be gone... and flyaway.
I will take a look at that log when I get off work. Maybe something will stick out. What's your PE in? Just wondering. I am an engineer as well.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I have had this issue 3 times. First was a surprise, was flying in my back yard flew over a steel roof and next to a 100' or so red wood tree. Drifted into it, it poped out dropped out of sight then back up funny as as can be. Landed on the roof and took off again and lost control it took off to the right I had no control! Sent the logs in 3dr said its fine make sure to take off from a level spot.
1) why did it drift into the tree
2) why did it take off from an unlevel spot
3) why no response from the controller

The next time I was flying in manual I flew under the steel roof and back out just fine then flew back under but this time when I came back out it panicked and took off at full tilt. And I had no response from the controls.
Repeated same results.

My takeaway is flying in manual works in gps coverage and when not in gps coverage. But when going from coverage to no coverage and back to coverage again it gets panicked (I know panicked is not the righ word but can't think of a better one). And you have no control or in put.

Next and this seems to be missed by most. GPS is not just a clear sky thing... It bounces off stuff! Like buildings, trees, mountains close and Far and your altitude makes a difference in what satalites are available. They all affect the quality and strength of you signal. Not to mention electrical and electrical magnetic interference.

Agreed, it has something to do with GPS, but your in manual mode also. Interesting indeed, most interesting. I can use my phone, Garmin GPS, etc. and walk around on the ground level and never have a issue with position errors, even in a 3000' deep canyon in CA.

Solo does have a mind of it's own sometimes and will not respond to any input. Again, last flight just now and landing back in my usual LZ which is full of 30' tall pine trees was not a problem.

Cheers

I will take a look at that log when I get off work. Maybe something will stick out. What's your PE in? Just wondering. I am an engineer as well.

20+ years military and commercial flight simulator design (my last job), specialize in I/O systems, wire-list, A/C D/C power distribution, flight models, weapons simulation, low level I/O software coding, commercial and military production test, hardware/software integration, et. all. Built a Mooney 201 fully operational PC flight simulator made from an aircraft I cut the wings off and stripped back in the mid 1980's. It displayed a whopping 30 polygons on the home built OTW cockpit display. Had 2ea IBM Mobo's, custom I/O boards. Just started with the airspeed indicator, made that work and moved on to the rest, eventually all worked as a sim. Dang those were the fun days man!

Cheers

That's some really interesting stuff. If it involves electricity I stay away lol.

From my experience in integration, can only summarize this issue has possibly the following problems, again - I'm new to Solo so cannot go any further without testing and data collection.

Since Solo appears to just 'go off on it's own with no control', like it thinks it need to be "over there, and not here", there is something going on with software/hardware integration or:

1) GPS module all the sudden sends erroneous position data to the software layer/interface and the software is just doing it's job, go here now

2) The GPS module is faulty hardware wise or in a bad location on Solo, I doubt it, that is the location I would have preferred, on top. Read somewhere that GoPro itself can cause RFI interference and should be shielded with copper tape?

3) There is what we call a 'loop/fail-safe' software routine's in the on-board hardware or CPU in the sim's we have constructed; a 20,000+lb sim on a 3-axis motion base with a human pilot on board, you bet! And a mandatory mechanical big red button KILL switch, contract requirements.

Cheers

1) GPS module all the sudden sends erroneous position data to the software layer/interface and the software is just doing it's job, go here now
This has been my best guess. Seems to be worse if I'm near any structures or the car. So if I had to guess I'd say solo is picking up some sort of GPS signal reflection and then trying its best to reposition itself based off of this erroneous data.
I'm not sure why solo is so much more sensitive to these things than some of my other craft. For instance I fly a blade 350 QX at the same place and have absolutely no issues whatsoever

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodnNuff
It's been said, that the Solo is trying to use fine data from the Sats, so any amount of multipath in the GPS reception will upset it.

So this means things like reflections from walls, buildings, cars, trees, vegetation, etc.

I know everyone says that other drones don't have this issue, and I'm not trying to say they do or they do not (my Pixhawk with 3DR GPS never seemed to be this sensitive).

3DR is quick to point out if you are not out in a clear field (for GPS issues), or if there the chance for nearby WiFi interference (for controller connection issues).

I don't know if this is any help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44