Low Level Solo Flyaway's/Crashes : now 7 times, anyone else?

Reaction score
Website
www.flyingfatcats.com
I have had 7 total low level flyaway's as of the last flight a few days ago. First, let me state I have had NO 'high' altitude flyaway's, ever. Seems to occur a a low altitude around 10 feet or so, and always around the home position. Flight mode is in default GPS mode, no smart shot modes, etc. All flights, Solo started up, GPS fix, etc. all completed before flight. Solo always appeared to be stable after pressing FLY button and would hover within a 1-3 foot pattern. Then I would do the usual flying around, capturing video and everything would be fine.

Now, EVERY TIME this has occurred has been near the HOME position and ALWAYS in a stationary or hover mode, then Solo will just bank, or dive (I have never noticed it turning) and head right into the woods, bushes, trees, etc.

I had no control over Solo with the Controller, it happens really quick. Solo just acted like "I need to be over there, not here" and just took off. Thank God nobody has been hurt, there was one close call while hovering in front of a sound booth, Solo almost entered the sound booth window, and that would have been REAL BAD. Instead, it veered forward (again NO control input from myself was in hover), hit the side of the elevate booth, hit my friends van, then a SUV and landed on the ground. That time = open sky, no trees to interfere with GPS.

I will no longer fly Solo near people again until I can find out what is going here. No, I have not yet sent log files to 3DR, but will today.

Anyway, here is a link to flyaway number 7 on YouTube, the actual flyaway is around the 4:11 mark:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I will have a complete compilation of all 7 flyaway's/crashes up soon on YouTube.

Any one else having this problem?

I would fly in manual if I was in that pine forest. Not surprising you lost GPS signal there. Looks like you may have a vertical view of the sky but depending on Sat locations the trees could still be blocking the signal. Download one of those GPS Sat tracking apps and you'll have azimuths on the sats then you'll know if you're good to fly.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

FYI: Just now got my desktop PC fixed after days of struggling with hardware, software, upgrades, personal out-of-town issues, etc. so I just now had the chance to get caught up.

Log's definitely going to 3DR stat. Been in this particular hobby not that long, however DO have extensive RC experience, aviation and engineering and design of military flight simulators for 20+ years. Your point taken, and not taken personal at all.

Again, to re-state - I could let Solo hover in that SAME location/point and watch Solo until low battery auto-land occurs without any Controller input. I've done it and had no issues at all.

Thanks all, will let you know what I find out from 3DR.

Also, the 6th occurrence happened in a wide open area - I do not think it's a GPS fix issue.

Cheers...

I would fly in manual if I was in that pine forest. Not surprising you lost GPS signal there. Looks like you may have a vertical view of the sky but depending on Sat locations the trees could still be blocking the signal. Download one of those GPS Sat tracking apps and you'll have azimuths on the sats then you'll know if you're good to fly.

I use my LG G3 phone and a app "GpsStaus" to check the area. If it is a GPS lock failure - you should get some kind of Controller notification I would assume. You may be right though, however again - Solo did the same thing with a clear view of the sky. And, never a high ALT flyaway.

Wondering if all his 7 logs are still available?
The time you invested to put all 7 videos on youtube, your time may have been better spent to have sent logs to 3DR.
You may have had a new solo on it's way to you by now.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I use my LG G3 phone and a app "GpsStaus" to check the area. If it is a GPS lock failure - you should get some kind of Controller notification I would assume. You may be right though, however again - Solo did the same thing with a clear view of the sky. And, never a high ALT flyaway.
Yeah I use the same app on my G3. That and "Magnetology" to check on geomagnetic storms. Looks like you're doing everything you should. Hopefully 3DR can help once they view the logs.

I cant understand why someone would not send longs after one or two let along 7 issues?

Why?

See response later on - life h
way to close to people, you would do much better here with a crane and jib
Wondering if all his 7 logs are still available?
The time you invested to put all 7 videos on youtube, your time may have been better spent to have sent logs to 3DR.
You may have had a new solo on it's way to you by now.

Man, getting hammered here! Yes, I have saved ALL logs - again, I have been in technology for more years I am willing to admit. Thanks for all your concerns, I'm on it!

Cheers!

See response later on - life h

Man, getting hammered here! Yes, I have saved ALL logs - again, I have been in technology for more years I am willing to admit. Thanks for all your concerns, I'm on it!

Cheers!
Preset A or B to manual. At the first sign of a problem, go into manual mode. Try that on your next flight and let us know. You should probably be flying in manual mode anyway if you are anywhere near trees or other obstructions, it is much safer. At altitude you will be fine using GPS and smart shots. But when done and below 20', switch to manual and land it your self.

Preset A or B to manual. At the first sign of a problem, go into manual mode. Try that on your next flight and let us know. You should probably be flying in manual mode anyway if you are anywhere near trees or other obstructions, it is much safer. At altitude you will be fine using GPS and smart shots. But when done and below 20', switch to manual and land it your self.
This is by far the best option. I have had the same exact problem with my solo multiple times. Seems to be a GPS lock problem at lower altitudes when you don't have a clear view of the sky to either horizon. You can have open sky above you but the solo seems to be very picky with its GPS. Seems like I can get a lock and take off without any issues but my problems come when I have it try to autoland, it will come within a few feet of the ground and then try to drift heavily to one side or the other and you have very minimal impact using the control stick. To make matters worse, solo seems not to know its altitude so even if you bring it down to the ground it still thinks it's a few feet in the air so even if you use the left stick to bring it down the rest of the way it won't shut the motors off then when you let go of the stick to hit your emergency cut off it will pop up in the air about a foot and Flip over on its side a major pain. Good luck sending your logs to 3DR the customer service rep looks at the same GPS info that solo is and that info is erroneous. My customer service rep told me to quit trying to launch/land from an elevated position which I wasn't. And that the crash is user error because I am trying to correct with the stick upon descent. What a joke.
Anyway, best option by far is set one of your preset buttons to manual and as you come down and get ready to land change over to manual and you'll have zero issues.

Last edited:

Thank you very much for the advise and I will try that very shortly before it rains here in Florida.
That said, still had that flyaway happen in an open area - so... who knows.

Cheers

This is by far the best option. I have had the same exact problem with my solo multiple times. Seems to be a GPS lock problem at lower altitudes when you don't have a clear view of the sky to either horizon. You can have open sky above you but the solo seems to be very picky with its GPS. Seems like I can get a lock and take off without any issues but my problems come when I have it try to autoland, it will come within a few feet of the ground and then tried of drift heavily to one side or the other and you have very minimal impact using the control stick. To make matters worse, solo seems not to know its altitude so even if you bring it down to the ground it still thinks it's a few feet in the air so even if you use the left stick to bring it down the rest of the way it won't shut the motors off then when you let go of the stick to hit your emergency cut off it will pop up in the air about a foot and Flip over on its side a major pain. Good luck sending your logs to 3DR the customer service rep looks at the same GPS info that solo is and that info is erroneous. My customer service rep told me to quit trying to launch/land from an elevated position which I wasn't. And that the crash is user error because I am trying to correct with the stick upon descent. What a joke.
Anyway, best option by far is set one of your preset buttons to manual and as you come down and get ready to land change over to manual and you'll have zero issues.

Exactly the type of post I was looking for (nothing against the rest of the gang here, you guy's are a great group). I was thinking the same thing as you mentioned - manual mode -> to one of the MODE buttons.

FYI: I can HOME land, or manual land in the exact spot(s) where I had flyaway's and could always control Solo on decent in case it did not get to the proper HOME position (have landed Solo in the middle of group of 30' tall pine trees in my yard with no problems). Interesting that landing/control has never been an issue for me, even in that last video I posted if you look, you can see prior to the flyaway, one GPS locked take off and no issues/video recorded, then auto land to HOME, and then FLY again with no issues, then the flyaway... You would figure if it had lock on the ground PRIOR to flight in that location, why would it loose lock at about ~20' AGL? Something to ponder...

Cheers

Last edited:
Any way you could post one of your logs here? I'd like to take a look.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea