Looking for cheap Thermal option for solo

Reaction score
I am looking for a cheap thermal option for my solo and am wondering if anyone has come up with something. I would like to start doing SAR and this would be a great tool to have, but I don't have thousands to spend on a thermal camera. I'm hoping to get something set up for under $500. If I go over that, the wife may kill me. ;) Has anyone used a cheaper thermal camera that connects to a phone? Thanks in advance!

I think it's been done with a FlirOne. Probably find it if you search. I have t searched it but I'm sure I read it a few months back.

The problem is that the inexpensive Flir and Seek thermal cameras were designed to use a smart phone to do all the processing and display. They have no video or HDMI output. Here is a possible solution that uses a Raspberry Pi. Check out the comments on the Youtube video.

Low Cost, Open Source, Streaming Thermal Camera

Do you see what you're asking for? You want advanced thermal imaging suitable for search and rescue for the same cost or less of a consumer GoPro.

The short answer is no.

True, but 80x60 pixel resolution is pretty much useless for anything except large objects up close. For search and rescue, there just isn't anything under $500.
So true, but for under $500 and with no details or specs asked for it was an option , good, bad or othèrwise. Even the FLIR Vue and pro are limited to 640x 512, and we use them on our company fleet. Even with the pros we don't get the radiometric data reliably.

Do you see what you're asking for? You want advanced thermal imaging suitable for search and rescue for the same cost or less of a consumer GoPro.

The short answer is no.

Yeah I'm new as anyone in the world To drones don't even have one yet ,its on order tho.i was thinking, oh a thermal would be awesome and then I looked at a cheap thermal as if there is one ........well I came to the conclusion real quick that I will not own one unfortunately. Lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc