landed solo.. motors stayed on. then took off on its own

Reaction score
SO i hit the land button.
I then assisted it in landing so it would be where I wanted it.
Once it landed, the motors didn't shut off.
I happened to power the controller off right when it landed because usually the motors turn off.
All of a sudden, the Solo launched in to flight, went up and forward straight in to some tree branches and then crashed. Any ideas?

I'm still new to all this UAV stuff.
Also, I am posting a video link below. The end of the video shows me crashing my Solo in to a friend. This was about ten minutes before the runaway flight happened. Could this crash been part of the reason the second one happened?

**The drone footage was with a friend's Hero3. The other footage is my Hero4 black with Peau 3.97 lens and Evo GP-PRO gimbal.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
I shouldn't say "right when it landed" . It was about 5-10 after. The motors were kind of pulsing as if they were trying to shut off but weren't.
Even so, why would it take off when I shut the power of the controller off?? That doesn't seem right. It should stay put, no?

No signal from controller (turning it off) would be the same as signal loss when flying, which solo will then try to RTH and land since it didn't think it landed yet.
It was home, and it was landed. lol So maybe it was trying to take off and then RTH?

It didn't detect it landed yet, or it would have shut the motors off. Yes, because it lost controller signal, it went into a new RTH. So it was taking off to land as crazy as that sounds, but thats what happens when it loses controller input and you are close to the ground.

It took off for the same reason the motors started on i guess?
Make a ticket with 3DR & then if you can send t-logs here, we have some really good minds that can tell you exactly what happened.
I never heard of this happening before?

Reactions: Clamb385
It took off for the same reason the motors started on i guess?
Make a ticket with 3DR & then if you can send t-logs here, we have some really good minds that can tell you exactly what happened.
I never heard of this happening before?
Can you instruct me on how to pull logs please? I greatly appreciate the help from everyone on here.
I bought my Solo to shoot mmotorcycle videos. I am very new to all this stuff!! lol

It didn't detect it landed yet, or it would have shut the motors off. Yes, because it lost controller signal, it went into a new RTH. So it was taking off to land as crazy as that sounds, but thats what happens when it loses controller input and you are close to the ground.
yeah, it makes sense. I just wonder why the motors didnt shut off. I've been having issues with it lately. It has been losing connection with my controller a lot too. I tried putting the stock antennas back on too but it didn't help.

Personally I don't use the land button. I pull the throttle stick all the way down until it's on the ground wherever I want it to be, and keep holding the throttle stick down until the motors shut off. If I want it to get close to where it took off from I hit the home button, but then hit fly when it gets close by and continue to land manually using the throttle only. It detects it lands after a few seconds of it not detecting that the altitude is no longer changing even though the throttle stick is all the way down, and then shuts the motors off. Takes maybe 3-5 seconds, I never noticed.

I think the motors didn't shut off because it sounds like you were too hasty with shutting the controller off before the propellers actually stopped spinning.

Reactions: SARDG and Clamb385
Can you instruct me on how to pull logs please? I greatly appreciate the help from everyone on here.
I bought my Solo to shoot mmotorcycle videos. I am very new to all this stuff!! lol
Depending what setup your have?
Here's most common:
Ther's other How tos, but this is the first one i a list.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

3DR Solo |How to retreive log files - YouTube

Hope this helps

Reactions: bluesgeek
See this post to learn why the motors didn't stop and how to respond to that in the future:
Recognizing, avoiding, and responding to botched landings

As to it taking off again... That was, to be blunt, blatent pilot error. As others have said, it did not detect it had landed. It thinks it is still in flight. You turned off the controller while the motors were still running.so it rightfully engaged the lost signal RTH failsafe. With a tree between you and the home location, results as expected.

Reactions: Clamb385
Actually SCP is built into the mac. You can just use the terminal. Most don't know how to use the command line and prefer a gui. SCP/FTP is a protocol used since the beginning of the internet, even before the "web".

Also good to know!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks