Just Arrive Cant do update? Help before I return ?

Reaction score
I just received my Solo today, tried to do the Pre Flight update, nothing happned, called tech support, on with them for 2 hours! They said it was DOA and I had to send it back to where I bought it from! It took 6 weeks to get this! Wow , I guess these are not what I was expected.. Anyone else have this issue? Please reply before I box this up today and return it! What I did so far with them was pulled battery, then held down the Fly and power button on controller, tried to pair the drone, by holding down the pair button and turned it on, nothing! Go to the wi fi settings connect to solo link, go back to APP and it its up to date and the controller says need to up date for 1st flight! and doesnt show the Solo paired! ANY REPLIES would be appreciated! Thank you guys!

Reactions: kelli
If you're going to send it back you might as well do a reset first to see if that fixes anything. There should be an APP update as well. I don't see any mention of you updating the app.

Factory Reset

Oh.. okay.. I didn't see any mention of it in your notes so I figured I'd suggest it. I'm out of answers.

Oh.. okay.. I didn't see any mention of it in your notes so I figured I'd suggest it. I'm out of answers.
I did mention it, I tried resetting the controller and pairing the Solo, I reset the controller by holding down the Fly and Power button get the the screen where it says its updatedm hit the A button, then power on the solo while holding down the Pair button the orange led blinks then thats done, then I try to pair it to the controler and when I push in the pair button while the solo is turned on I get no blinking orange LED again to pair it! Guess its DOA

tried to pair the drone, by holding down the pair button and turned it on, nothing!

Just to be clear what you have described above is not how you pair the controller to the Solo. This is how you factory reset the actual Solo.

Your last post sounds accurate.

Just to be clear what you have described above is not how you pair the controller to the Solo. This is how you factory reset the actual Solo.

Your last post sounds accurate.
After resetting the controller, and after I power on the solo while holding down the pair button, this is where I have the ISSUE! After both are reset, I Push the pair button now to pair it to the controller and nothing happens! No orange LED no nothing! is this the correct steps?

I think you are OK in your process. Just your first post sounded like you were doing a reset instead of pair.

For what its worth I had some issue after a reset. 3DR replaced it but that same night I was able to re image the SD card on the SOLO with an image file from the Solo hacks group on Facebook and it came back up. However I still had my original -1% battery issue.

My best guess is that the reset process is glitchy on the Solo. My controller reset fine but the aircraft did not.

I ended up with a white (looks blue) and red light on the Solo and nothing would happen.

I think you are OK in your process. Just your first post sounded like you were doing a reset instead of pair.

For what its worth I had some issue after a reset. 3DR replaced it but that same night I was able to re image the SD card on the SOLO with an image file from the Solo hacks group on Facebook and it came back up. However I still had my original -1% battery issue.

My best guess is that the reset process is glitchy on the Solo. My controller reset fine but the aircraft did not.

I ended up with a white (looks blue) and red light on the Solo and nothing would happen.

Thats what I have on mine, Whiteish /blue and Red, press Pair Butting NOTHING ! Sent back to BH in NYC same day I received it! I guess I waited 7 weeks for nothing! I ll be dammed if I wait another 6 weeks for a NEW one! Ill keep my Blade Qx3 , I just got a Hero 4 Black 4K Ill mount that on it and keep flying! it was perfect from day one! 3DR customer support SUCKS too! I will post that all over face book, Call them after 20 min on hold they tell you everyone is busy and they hang up on you! Nice Customer Service ! Crappy Drone too!

3DR has some growing pains and they have staffed the phone lines with people that don't always have the right answer. I have done the 20 minute get hung up on thing twice. Pi$$ed me off too.

But in reality, I think they have the best customer support out there and are just trying to get back to doing it like they used to.

I understand your frustration as its all valid. Ask around... I was in your position last week. If I did not have about $575 tied up in GoPro stuff I am sure I would have parted ways. However I took a breath and in the end they came through. To my surprise I might mention.

3DR bit off more than they can chew with the Solo and might take them a few weeks to catch up. I am more concerned about their ability to improve the app with better controls and features than I am with them making a reliable drone. I really think the latter is just around the corner.

3DR has some growing pains and they have staffed the phone lines with people that don't always have the right answer. I have done the 20 minute get hung up on thing twice. Pi$$ed me off too.

But in reality, I think they have the best customer support out there and are just trying to get back to doing it like they used to.

I understand your frustration as its all valid. Ask around... I was in your position last week. If I did not have about $575 tied up in GoPro stuff I am sure I would have parted ways. However I took a breath and in the end they came through. To my surprise I might mention.

3DR bit off more than they can chew with the Solo and might take them a few weeks to catch up. I am more concerned about their ability to improve the app with better controls and features than I am with them making a reliable drone. I really think the latter is just around the corner.

I hear ya, But if they arent geared up, then dont put a crappy product out there and answer your phones when your customers call! I never had a bad experiance with my Blade Qx3 .. I picked up a Go Pro mount for it for 15$ took of their crappy Cgo camera, mounted my new GoPro Hero Black on it, I get much longer flights, dont loose wi fi connection ( I just put the camera on Superview ) press record and send her up! No issues, PERIOD! Great customer service and call backs, I had an issue with the charger they overnighted me an updated Lipo charger.. All Good! Screw 3DR.. Cant wait for my refund..

Cant blame you there. And if the Blade is enough quad for you then there is no reason not to stick with it or try something else.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Cant blame you there. And if the Blade is enough quad for you then there is no reason not to stick with it or try something else.
You are CORRECT! I thought after using the Blade for 6 months, I would go for a nice upgrade with some nice new features! After reading some other peoples horrors on this forum, Ill keep what I have and be happy! Thanks for your help!

You are CORRECT! I thought after using the Blade for 6 months, I would go for a nice upgrade with some nice new features! After reading some other peoples horrors on this forum, Ill keep what I have and be happy! Thanks for your help!

You are totally entitled to that Marc. Don't blame you a bit. Maybe give a Phantom P3 a try. I can say their service REALLY sucks but its a great flying machine.

tried that when it 1st came out, very heavy controller, couldnt take pics while you were shooting videos.. Connection to Phone wasnt as good as they said it would be, that went back too! LOL.. Keep my good ole blade till next year see what else comes out.. I really thought this Solo was the one! Too bad.. Im still pissed off! LOL tried to get that dam thing going all day! What a waste of time ..

My question is why not give them a chance to replace it? They will overnight you a new one and I am sure it will be better. Every Mfg has a percentage of defects. They are trying to put out a good product. They have growing pains but I this industry needs real competition. Maybe take a breath and give them a second chance. I will tell you, It is a GREAT machine. Even without the gimbal I am getting shots that make me say "Yeah, thats what I have been looking for".

Reactions: GoodnNuff
My question is why not give them a chance to replace it? They will overnight you a new one and I am sure it will be better. Every Mfg has a percentage of defects. They are trying to put out a good product. They have growing pains but I this industry needs real competition. Maybe take a breath and give them a second chance. I will tell you, It is a GREAT machine. Even without the gimbal I am getting shots that make me say "Yeah, thats what I have been looking for".
I asked them to send me another one, I also offered to PAY the overnight shipping.. They said it would take at least 2 weeks to get another one out to me if not more! They said I should contact BH in NYC where I got it from and it would be a faster turn around. Called them and they do not have any in stock nor any replacement ones in stock to ship out to replace any defective ones! Terrible answer on both ends..

Couple comments/questions

very heavy controller

I think the controller is about perfect on the P3. Weight is ideal for me and really like the button layout.

couldnt take pics while you were shooting videos..
Well I think you only gain a little with the Solo/GoPro I think it will only randomly shoot pictures while you are doing video. You don't get to push the shutter button on when.

Connection to Phone wasnt as good as they said it would be,.

What do you mean? USB connection to device. I have not heard of anyone having issues with connection.

I am having a hard time figuring out your needs. Seems like you want the best of the best but are happy flying a blade which even with the GoPro mod you made has to be considerably substandard to the P3.

But there is no excusing the poor service you have received.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig