Just a word on the gimbal

The Solo 2 should have a snap in gimbal. But for those of us who have been hanging gimbals from various DIY copters for awhile, this is still a super easy install - these problems are minuscule if you've ever tried to install and calibrate a DYS 3 axis.

Reactions: Earldgrayjr
I wonder if it would be possible to design and 3D print some kind of wire guide for the gimbal install.

Reactions: 1264_Solo
Double click? You sure about that? I've never had to do that.

You know, the first time I used it I didn't think I needed to either, but I couldn't remember. I was going crazy today trying to get it to work- pressing one time only brought up the dialog box that tells you to hold the button to "set" the angle.

Damn, something else to troubleshoot. I've really had it with this crap- fixing problems that should have been taken care of before Solo was ever put on the market. Clearly it was not ready for prime time.

AND WHAT ABOUT THE LEGS!? A lot of thought and engineering went into Solo but they couldn't figure out the legs were too short for the gimbal?? If Solo survives, it will be a miracle. I won't be surprised if GoPro's drone blows Solo away.

Okay, I just fired Solo up again and the presets work fine with one click now.:mad: This is just too much- I never know what to expect from this thing. :eek:

Well, I removed the battery tray and noticed the HDMI cable was laying on top of the front edge of the gimbal. It was making contact but didn't seem to be putting pressure on it.

View attachment 1290

I decided to lift it up higher by using some hot melt glue.

View attachment 1291

No other issues noted so I closed it up. After doing so I realized I had forgotten to do a level & compass calibration.

Today I went flying but did both calibrations first. I noticed a slight tendency for the gimbal to "tilt" in relationship to the horizon when coming out of a turn, but it leveled itself quickly.

It took me awhile to realize you need to double-click the gimbal camera presets to get the gimbal to move to the preset angle.

I think it is working fine but it will take some time to learn the best angles for different flight modes- I hope.. :-(
I may hot glue my cable as well. I have it wrapped around the front of the gimbal frame and it is putting some pressure on it. I just installed it yesterday and did 1 flawless flight. I figured out the double tap presets yesterday as well.

It took me awhile to realize you need to double-click the gimbal camera presets to get the gimbal to move to the preset angle.
I thank you for this little tidbit! I have just spent 2 hours trying to figure out why those presets did not work. Double Click It to Do It!

Reactions: Maddog
I thank you for this little tidbit! I have just spent 2 hours trying to figure out why those presets did not work. Double Click It to Do It!
Odd because I only single click myself. (long press to set new angle)

I think a more flexible HDMI cable would help a lot- like silicon wires used in some automotive wiring.

Yes the HDMI cable is too rigid. A more flexible cable will help a lot.

Okay, I just fired Solo up again and the presets work fine with one click now.:mad: This is just too much- I never know what to expect from this thing. :eek:
It is possibly to be because of the tablet touchscreen ???? I

I wonder if it would be possible to design and 3D print some kind of wire guide for the gimbal install.
I've thought the same thing. The problem is if it was inserted where the gimbal or battery tray goes it would have to be very thin and I don't think either PLA or ABS filaments would hold up. I'm getting a new printer today and once I get my Solo back from RMA I'm going to try and make something out of PETG filament and see if that works.

I had my first gimbal really early. I wizzed through the install, but had the battery tray out by instinct, and it went well. I have had zero problems with it.

The second gimbal was another story. I did the same thing, but was having "drooping" and the gimbal doing weird things in flight. I was able to ffix it

Here is what i have found.

The drooping appears to be caused by the software sensing "over current" to the motors and stopping for a moment. It drrops at that point, and the Solo resets it and it starts working.

1. Anything touching the silver yaw motor on the gimbal (you can see it from the top with the battery tray out) will give your problems..

2. Any wires touching the gimbal (other than those connected) will cause vibrations and give you shaking.

3. The HDM cable can "tug" on the gimbal pulling it in one direction and making the motor bind on the frame, or other wires. The data cable can do the same thing, but to a lesser degree.

The HDMI cable tugging on the gimbal was my problem on the second unit.

Solution: If you grab the HDMI cable at the front of the Solo, by the ferrite bead, and move it back and forth along the front of the Solo, you can see if it is tugging on the gimbal and moving it.. If it is, move it in the opposite direction, to give it slack. Pull it to one side (that doesn't tug on the gimbal) and anchor it to the frame. I used a thin strip of duc tape, though I may go back in at some point and repalce it with something more permanent now that I know the deal. Do the same with the data cable if needed, and anything else that might touch the gimbal. One thin strip of tape on teh HDMI cable was all I needed. Now I have two units working perfecty :)
I had my first gimbal really early. I wizzed through the install, but had the battery tray out by instinct, and it went well. I have had zero problems with it.

The second gimbal was another story. I did the same thing, but was having "drooping" and the gimbal doing weird things in flight. I was able to ffix it

Here is what i have found.

The drooping appears to be caused by the software sensing "over current" to the motors and stopping for a moment. It drrops at that point, and the Solo resets it and it starts working.

1. Anything touching the silver yaw motor on the gimbal (you can see it from the top with the battery tray out) will give your problems..

2. Any wires touching the gimbal (other than those connected) will cause vibrations and give you shaking.

3. The HDM cable can "tug" on the gimbal pulling it in one direction and making the motor bind on the frame, or other wires. The data cable can do the same thing, but to a lesser degree.

The HDMI cable tugging on the gimbal was my problem on the second unit.

Solution: If you grab the HDMI cable at the front of the Solo, by the ferrite bead, and move it back and forth along the front of the Solo, you can see if it is tugging on the gimbal and moving it.. If it is, move it in the opposite direction, to give it slack. Pull it to one side (that doesn't tug on the gimbal) and anchor it to the frame. I used a thin strip of duc tape, though I may go back in at some point and repalce it with something more permanent now that I know the deal. Do the same with the data cable if needed, and anything else that might touch the gimbal. One thin strip of tape on teh HDMI cable was all I needed. Now I have two units working perfecty :)
I have removed and installed my gimbal at least 4 times. I have watched the videos on how to do it. I have taken the battery tray out twice and rerouted the wires but I am still having the gimbal flop to the side every now and then. I hope it isn't damaging anything. I have to edit out these flops to the sides but it sometimes ruins a good shot I am trying to take like halfway through an orbit shot.

Don't know what else to do. I do notice that my gimbal is off center towards the back and I can't seem to make it stay forward.
I feel like the dunce in the class not being able to fix my problem.

I have removed and installed my gimbal at least 4 times. I have watched the videos on how to do it. I have taken the battery tray out twice and rerouted the wires but I am still having the gimbal flop to the side every now and then. I hope it isn't damaging anything. I have to edit out these flops to the sides but it sometimes ruins a good shot I am trying to take like halfway through an orbit shot.

Don't know what else to do. I do notice that my gimbal is off center towards the back and I can't seem to make it stay forward.
I feel like the dunce in the class not being able to fix my problem.

Did you do a level and compass calibration after installation? Make sure to do it facing North. (No joke)

Not sure what you mean by off center towards back- when powered up, camera should point a couple degrees off center towards left front leg.

Flopping is a software issue.

Reactions: Del

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44