Is Anyone flying their Solo with Stock GPS? Poll

Stock GPS

• Flying your Solo with stock GPS (Rev a or b)

Votes: 42 63.6%
  • Aftermarket and which one?

Votes: 24 36.4%

• Total voters
Reaction score
The Solo is somewhat unique in that if you were to ask this question in dji or gopro forum I don't think you would find too many that did a mod right off the bat that is so critical to flying the bird. I have read through these forums and it appears the majority have at the very minimum added the gps shield and the rest have done both the shield and the replacement gps. In addition I'm still not clear (after reading all that I could find in this forum) other than the color of the pcb what the difference is between rev a and rev b.

Reactions: Jbouza09
Here's a good thread explaining the RevA to RevB change, it relates to the battery backup. The cold start times was the beef many had with RevA. Then shielding was the other issue, original shield being cheesy. Spacing the shielding from the module reduced the internal RF influence, aka cardboard mod. 3DR released the V2 shielding, improved spec'd material, absorb and reflect RF.

I'm flying the RevA since Sept. 2015. First the cardboard mod, then the V2 shield and finally the battery mod linked below. I'm too cheap to upgrade what seems to work fine. ymmv...

https://3drpilots.com/threads/gps-battery.6739/#post-75892

Of my three Solos I'm currently flying, I've only upgraded one GPS. On the other two, I just did the " cardboard" mod which seemed to help reliably.

I have 3 Solo's, of which all 3 have the REV. B GPS module installed. I haven't had any issues with the REV. B GPS boards at all, and consistently lock on 12 satellites and 0.7 HDOP. I did do the Cardboard spacer mod on my primary Solo just to see if it made any different in GPS performance... With the REV. B GPS, I am not really seeing any performance different between the Solo with the Cardboard spacer mod and the other 2 Solo's without the Cardboard spacer mod...

My two work Solos have the RevA (latest v1.01 firmware) with the V2 shield + stock shield. Between the two of them, they mapped over 2.5k acres this summer and not a single issue. My personal Solo has the MRO and the original RevB all with the latest firmware. I'm looking to go to the HERE because it's a mod I've not pursued yet :p

I bought my Solo "New Open box", and first attempt after the updates, it took about 9-10 min to get 9 birds, That was near a window inside my house, Once outdoors for my "Gear Down" first flight, I had 12 sat's in 3 min max. After that fantastic first flight, that BTW was the first time I had ever flown a new UAV and had a high level of confidence in it after a first flight!
While I was bonding with my new best buddy, I popped off my GPS cover and without taking out the screws I could see a black Rev B board YAY!, Just in case I purchased a sweet 3D printed isolation board with a copper sheet on the "Up" side (Even had 2 little piece's of copper sheet with adhesive to cover the access cut-out for the screw), I have the stock 3DR copper shield put away in a plastic baggie, as it seems to STAY locked to all the birds since I made that change.

I got fed up waiting 3 to 5 mins for 8 sats or less using a Rev a. Some days I couldnt even get a sat lock at all. So I did the mro upgrade on all 3 birds with the Rev 2 shield. Now get 12 to 19 sats in under 1 minute. Well worth upgrading imho.

Here's a good thread explaining the RevA to RevB change, it relates to the battery backup. The cold start times was the beef many had with RevA. Then shielding was the other issue, original shield being cheesy. Spacing the shielding from the module reduced the internal RF influence, aka cardboard mod. 3DR released the V2 shielding, improved spec'd material, absorb and reflect RF.

I'm flying the RevA since Sept. 2015. First the cardboard mod, then the V2 shield and finally the battery mod linked below. I'm too cheap to upgrade what seems to work fine. ymmv...

https://3drpilots.com/threads/gps-battery.6739/#post-75892
Thanks - Rich. I have read a lot about the shielding and still surprised 3dr would not have been able to replicate this poor deign in pre-production.

I have 3 Solo's, of which all 3 have the REV. B GPS module installed. I haven't had any issues with the REV. B GPS boards at all, and consistently lock on 12 satellites and 0.7 HDOP. I did do the Cardboard spacer mod on my primary Solo just to see if it made any different in GPS performance... With the REV. B GPS, I am not really seeing any performance different between the Solo with the Cardboard spacer mod and the other 2 Solo's without the Cardboard spacer mod...
Good to hear. I'm really just looking for out of the box functionality that enables it to work within LOS. Few minutes to lock and ready to fly is fine but 5 to 10 which I have seen some post is more than I'd want to put up with. Do we know the sweet spot between number of sat's, HDOP # (below 1?) gives the best 'drift free' hover/flight?

The Solo is somewhat unique in that if you were to ask this question in dji or gopro forum I don't think you would find too many that did a mod right off the bat that is so critical to flying the bird. I have read through these forums and it appears the majority have at the very minimum added the gps shield and the rest have done both the shield and the replacement gps. In addition I'm still not clear (after reading all that I could find in this forum) other than the color of the pcb what the difference is between rev a and rev b.
I just bought a new Solo a few days ago. I've flown it 3 times and all 3 times it got at least 12 to 13 sats in under a minute so I'm guessing I have the RevB version.

I just bought a new Solo a few days ago. I've flown it 3 times and all 3 times it got at least 12 to 13 sats in under a minute so I'm guessing I have the RevB version.
Curious how many updates you had to install for both the AC and RC?

Good to hear. I'm really just looking for out of the box functionality that enables it to work within LOS. Few minutes to lock and ready to fly is fine but 5 to 10 which I have seen some post is more than I'd want to put up with. Do we know the sweet spot between number of sat's, HDOP # (below 1?) gives the best 'drift free' hover/flight?

With the REV B GPS board, if I am flying in a place I have flown before, I usually receive 10 - 12 satellite lock within 30 seconds to 1 minutes of booting the Solo. If I am flying in a place I have never flown before, GPS lock does take a little longer, but usually no more than 5 minutes tops for 10 - 12 satellite lock. In regards to the "sweet spot", anything below 1.0 HDOP is excellent. from my personal experience, more than 10 sats = less than 1.0 HDOP. For GPS to be accurate you want as low an HDOP as possible. The more sats the better.

Also, I recommend getting the app "UAV Forecast" for Andriod. It gives excellent weather and Solar activity forecasts for your current GPS location, including an indicator of how many GPS satellites are in view of your current GPS location...

Nice. is this your first quad? what are your flight times?
It's my third quad. I started with the Mjx Bugs 3 which has no gps and is difficult to fly for a beginner like me. I lost it the first night I flew it so I bought a second one and I'm extremely careful now and only fly with the rear towards me. Then I stepped up to the Mjx bugs 2 with gps and it's very fun to fly. It has altitude hold and headless mode which makes it easier to fly. Now I have the solo and I really love this quad. I started off with the settings on the lowest speed to get acquainted with it because I've heard she can fly as fast as 55 Mph. I've flown her 3 times so far and each flight lasted about 12 to 15 minutes.

I've only had mine a couple months but I changed the GPS right away after having compass problems. I had a rev B but I have noticed an improvement with m8n GPS. More sats, ready to fly faster.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso