Is Anyone flying their Solo with Stock GPS? Poll

Stock GPS

• Flying your Solo with stock GPS (Rev a or b)

Votes: 42 63.6%
  • Aftermarket and which one?

Votes: 24 36.4%

• Total voters
Well I can finally answer this poll. After my first NIB Solo decided it wanted nothing to do with it's RC my second NIB Solo made it's first flight this afternoon (did not check rev yet) but stock gps I got 14 sat's within a minute on the first flight and 10 + or - nothing (it stuck at 10 for next two flights). All in all gps was working fine, although my break in spot for RC's is on a big hill in the middle of nowhere so I did not expect to have any real issues. Was a bit shocked at how 'not locked in' the hover was (there was a bit of wind) as I guess I got used to my other RC's hover characteristics. Overall fun uneventful first flight(s). I assigned fly manual to A and sport B so tomorrow SPORT it is.

Irish,
I'm a rookie in the upgrading and tinkering wrealm, I have 3 of these and love them. One was new the second a refurb or return does not remember, and the 3rd was a parts bird I call number 3 that wouldn't start or run until I bought a new board off eBay and it runs great now. I do see it takes a good while to acquire enough satellites to turn white and clear to fly. Can you explain the the mods you did to improve the signal and where you found the parts. Thanks
Only two mods. GPS from mrobotics and ver 2 GPS shield from 3dr. I am also a rookie and still only learning but this forum has got the best advice and most knowledgeable users. The upgrade itself is very easy and there's dozens of YouTube videos showing how to do it. I may upgrade one bird to a "here" system since they seem to be awesome and let's face it, looks cool

Last edited:
Reactions: Jbouza09
Well I can finally answer this poll. After my first NIB Solo decided it wanted nothing to do with it's RC my second NIB Solo made it's first flight this afternoon (did not check rev yet) but stock gps I got 14 sat's within a minute on the first flight and 10 + or - nothing (it stuck at 10 for next two flights). All in all gps was working fine, although my break in spot for RC's is on a big hill in the middle of nowhere so I did not expect to have any real issues. Was a bit shocked at how 'not locked in' the hover was (there was a bit of wind) as I guess I got used to my other RC's hover characteristics. Overall fun uneventful first flight(s). I assigned fly manual to A and sport B so tomorrow SPORT it is.
Had to crack open the gps cover to peer inside and it's a baby rev B. Few more flights yesterday ... 10 right off the bat (less than 20 seconds) 12 to 14 while in the air and 2nd flight. Sure I get 17 to 24 sat's with my other drones in this same spot but fingers crossed 10-12 good ones will suffice for the Solo.

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
I have 3 solos one with a Ublox NEO-M8N from Drotek. The second with a stock rev b GPS from 3DR and one with the first rev a GPS from 3DR. All have a 3d printed plastic mod spacer piece between the foil and GPS. I dont know why but the Rev a gets more SATS always 12 and gets them in downtown in under 1.5 mins. I get 6 or 7 right away which sounds alright but thats seconds after turning it on in the basement of my 2 story house with 2 floors and a roof above it. it takes about 3 to 5 mins but gets full lock and i can fly very stable in my basment cutting out every now and then

I have been flying with the stock GPS since l bought my Solo last year... In March/April 2017
I usually fly out of a large field
Sometimes from my towns boat ramp

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig