iPad with Wifi or iPad with Wifi + Data

Reaction score
Website
www.nimbusvids.com
Hi All,

Brand new Solo owner and I'm trying to choose between iPad options. Has anyone needed to have data on their iPad for general hobby flying? Would I need it for anything more than hobby flying down the road during flight for any reason? I'm thinking of just getting the iPad Air 2 and getting a hotspot down the road if/when I need it.

You can always prefetch the maps and such while home on WIFi. Or tether to your phone or a hotspot when out in the field if you really need something. But I thought the ones without data also don't have a GPS?

You can always prefetch the maps and such while home on WIFi. Or tether to your phone or a hotspot when out in the field if you really need something. But I thought the ones without data also don't have a GPS?

So in Collin's video here on 3dr.com (Solo Smart Drone | 3DR | Drone & UAV Technology) he shows the satellite view. I wasn't thinking that he was using an iPad with Data, but I guess that makes sense.

New Question: Is anyone currently using an iPad with Wifi only and experiencing issues? Or is everyone using Data?

I use one with Data, but I recently bought an android with out to use Tower, which means I will be downloading maps.

Personally, between my wife and I we own 4 iPads all on data. One you try it, you'll never go back

Reactions: Nimbus Ninja
New Question: Is anyone currently using an iPad with Wifi only and experiencing issues? Or is everyone using Data?

I use an iPad Mini 4 with wifi only. It only has two drawbacks, both already mentioned above. (1) I prefetch any maps I need, so that's not a problem for me. (2) The lack of GPS means that I can't use the "Follow" smart shot feature, which is a bummer.

Reactions: Nimbus Ninja
when i first got my solo last year i was adamantly against data on a tablet. but after using an ipad air 2 with solo, having data in the field has been worth it. i have a samsung galaxy tab s and i wish it had data :(

with data you get a built-in gps so you can now you can use follow, return to me etc. you also get sat view on the maps, plan your flight is up to date, the ability to share/upload pics and videos instantly and future functionality that will require internet.

on a side note, i'm not even sure why 'maps' is such a big deal. the map still shows up just without the satellite view overlayed.

I use an iPad mini 2 (wi-fi only), and after a few weeks missed the functionality of having GPS. A cheap and simple solution is to get a Garmin GLO (€85.00) which connects to iPad via Bluetooth, and it works. You will still need to cache the satellite maps before flying. I use my iPhone6 to cache the map data, then switch to the SoloLink to fly.

Another small advantage is that you will not have to pay for connection to a cell network or swap the the SIM card between devices.

Be safe and happy landing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44