Reaction score
Hey all,
as this is my first drone, I am wondering what is the best direction to go with for the control telemetry unit. I hate to fork out the cash for an iPad but I really just do not want to be jacking around with any compatibility issues. Whatever I end up getting is probably going to be used only for the solo. Any suggestions or advice?

Opinions vary hugely, but - I've used both, with a ridiculous amount of devices, and have concluded that Apple provides the steadiest video feed and overall reliability.
Having said that, Android devices open up an entire world of new possibilities, including the use of Tower and the outstanding Solex app, both of which are Android only.
A Samsung Galaxy Tab A can be bought at Best Buy for well under $100 and works great - in fact it's now my only dedicated Solo tablet.

Reactions: snmpsniffer
...A Samsung Galaxy Tab A can be bought at Best Buy for well under $100 and works great - in fact it's now my only dedicated Solo tablet.
Wasn't someone else on this forum having problems with their Galaxy Tab A, 8GB and returned it? I am always leery of devices (and PCs/laptops) with minimal memory. They huff and puff, and still can't get the job done.

I have the 8" Galaxy Tab A (with 16 GB). Works great!
Although I'm usually an Apple fan, the Solex app is a must-have in my opinion, and it only works on Android.
Yeah, I am kind of leaning that way. Given that 3DR is getting out of the drone world there are likely to be more developers working on android support and development. Thanks for the reply!!

Opinions vary hugely, but - I've used both, with a ridiculous amount of devices, and have concluded that Apple provides the steadiest video feed and overall reliability.
Having said that, Android devices open up an entire world of new possibilities, including the use of Tower and the outstanding Solex app, both of which are Android only.
A Samsung Galaxy Tab A can be bought at Best Buy for well under $100 and works great - in fact it's now my only dedicated Solo tablet.
Sweet! That is kind of what I was thinking as well. Long term support will follow a more open platform. Thanks for the reply!!

Hey all,
as this is my first drone, I am wondering what is the best direction to go with for the control telemetry unit. I hate to fork out the cash for an iPad but I really just do not want to be jacking around with any compatibility issues. Whatever I end up getting is probably going to be used only for the solo. Any suggestions or advice?
Another Android option would be the Nexus 7 (2013). I have that dedicated to my Solo, and I love that it has a much brighter screen than the Galaxy Tab 4 I used to use. On bright days I still had problems seeing the screen on the Tab 4 even with a sun hood.

Hey all,
If you want 3rd party software/app support when 3DR stop giving out upgrade, you will have more choices in android. The android community is much bigger because it is more open and less restrictions than iOS hence more developers, more developers means more apps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig