IRIS+ PX4 Telemetry Help!

Reaction score
Hey guys, new member here...getting back to flying after a couple years.

Went thru the Iris+ on Mission Planner and the accels failed calibration after multiple
attempts, and the bird wouldn't arm. I pulled the PX4 and installed a known good one,
after updating. (Copter V4.1.5)

Telemetry will not work. I have Mavlink connectivity and the remote works with the exception
of telemetry. I'm getting a bit bogged down with all the configuration options. I believe there is
probably a single setting to enable telemetry in Copter. Nothing has been flashed or otherwise
modified regarding the FrSky receiver or telemetry modules...

(As an aside, the original PX4 from the + calibrated fine after upgrading the firmware and bench
testing. Never fails.)

ANY thought appreciated!

John (CharlieKeck screen name) in Vermont.

Search past posts on this site.
It worked for me, as well as receiving valuable assistance from some of the developers (although I can no longer find the thread with my issue that was remedied).
Good luck.

TU ... have done so, nothing so far. I'm hoping the institutional
knowledge regarding 3DR hasn't totally disappeared!

There is no longer any 3DR technical support - they only do government work now.

Have you checked ArduPilot Discourse ?

P.S.: I found my 'lost' thread. It was on Ardupilot, not 3DRPilots:

Thanks Frank - that's about the only site I've not gone thru. What a saga - no idea why after
sitting idle for four years the IRIS+ suddenly refused to arm due to accel error(s). I'll keep you
posted...did you ever get your Irsi up?
John

Thanks Frank - that's about the only site I've not gone thru. What a saga - no idea why after
sitting idle for four years the IRIS+ suddenly refused to arm due to accel error(s). I'll keep you
posted...did you ever get your Irsi up?
John
ArduPilot is the developers' site - I was in error when I stated it was 3DRPilots. Been a long winter...

I still have to tweak / recalibrate the motors - cannot achieve vertical take-off plus I removed the lifeless gimbal.

Good weather is arriving soon!

Well, it flies! Went thru the entire mandatory hardware setup list item by item, and a few of the
pertinent optional things. Took it out and did full compass cal (after removing my old man shirt with magnetic buttons (story related another time)).
Took off on a very gusty morning in Loiter, and with no PID tweaks it did very well in the wind. Still have tuning to do, but, amazing-but-true, the telemetry just worked again without fooling around with the MP setup. Using the original remote that came with the rig. This entire saga began because telemetry initially didn't work at all after the + sat for five years...

Reactions: 1946 J3C-65
Well, it flies! Went thru the entire mandatory hardware setup list item by item, and a few of the
pertinent optional things. Took it out and did full compass cal (after removing my old man shirt with magnetic buttons (story related another time)).
Took off on a very gusty morning in Loiter, and with no PID tweaks it did very well in the wind. Still have tuning to do, but, amazing-but-true, the telemetry just worked again without fooling around with the MP setup. Using the original remote that came with the rig. This entire saga began because telemetry initially didn't work at all after the + sat for five years...
Finally a Spring day and got in some flying. As far as I can tell the IRIS+ flies as well as when it was
new. After swapping out the PX4, flashed the new one with Copter V4.1.5, and just did the basic
mandatory setup and calibrations, with no tuning. I am impressed that straight out-of-the-box
generic firmware flew that well. Running essentially the same hardware setup on a DIY 450 quad,
which flies OK, but is major twitchy in hover - that one will require immediate tuning...as well as
telemetry.

Nice work! I am about to activate a custom carbon fiber project with all x8/IRIS 3DR electronics. Still plodding through some teething issues. It is the one that is my avatar now.

Problem solved, telemetry now working. In 'Copter 4.2.1 : In Mission Planner, after connecting to the drone, navigate to FULL PARAMETER LIST. Find parameter SERIAL2_PROTOCOL. Change the existing value '2' (Mavlink2) to '3' (FrSKY) and don't forget to write the parameters back!

Case closed. Big shoutout to the developers over at Arducopter for their work on our behalf!

Reactions: 1946 J3C-65

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc