I finally got it! However...

Reaction score
Well, after the long wait since June and a dead end through DSLRPros, I finally received my Solo direct from 3DR a few weeks ago. I have since logged three flights and have had as many issues.
The following is in no way intended to convey displeasure toward 3DR or the Solo. In fact, I am still happy with it.
First Flight: I was excited/nervous as I am still a novice unmanned vehicle pilot. However, the short flight went well, but the gimbal kept drooping uncommanded to point straight down. I could keep it raised with constant command from the paddle, but it was annoying. So after the flight I filed the trouble ticket with 3DR and was given instructions for a full controller calibration through my terminal on my Mac. Easy Peasy, Problem solved.

Second Flight: During my Operational Check Flight of the gimbal fix, i noticed a high pitched squealing noise periodically from what I believed to be the motors. It seemed to come and go as the craft was adjusting the the breeze. Once again, I filed a trouble ticket and video. This time the 3DR engineers said that, in some cases, high pitched squealing from the motors is, in so many words, part of the break-in period. He also stated that the noise is ok as long as there was no grinding from the motors. Call me skeptical, but my 21 years of auto/aircraft mechanic knowledge tells me any squealing from a bearing type motor is not good...but I'm new at this UAV stuff, so i listened to the engineer. ;P

Third Flight: Squealing louder and more constant this time and why yawing, the aircraft jerked as if it was losing signal, yet it was only about 20 feet away from me. Didn't want to push it so I landed. While talking with my neighbor and prepping the Solo for its rest in the backpack, I instinctively spun the props, which now I realize I should have done in the first place. Sure enough #04 was grinding and #02 was as well, but not as much. Once again, as per my routine after every flight so far...I filed a trouble ticket and sent a video.

I anticipate that I will have to send the craft back to them for repair, but am not sure. Fingers crossed.

more to come...

Last edited:
Wow! Tough break being 3 for 3. I assume all software updates have been performed - this is what took care of the sound coming from my gimbal.

As for the motor grinding, that's a new one by me. I wonder if some dust/sand got in there. Maybe try turning it upside down and hitting the motors with canned air?

Well, that's a bit of a puzzle.
With brushless outrunners there is literally nothing to grind except the bearings, and it's hard to imagine you'd get two.
Still, it happens! Just hang in there and 3DR will make it right. In the meantime check your gimbal wires to ensure they're not binding.

Wow! Tough break being 3 for 3. I assume all software updates have been performed - this is what took care of the sound coming from my gimbal.

As for the motor grinding, that's a new one by me. I wonder if some dust/sand got in there. Maybe try turning it upside down and hitting the motors with canned air?

Acro, Yup followed everything concerning unboxing to the T, to include software updates, etc...
I did a full post flight inspection after the first squealing incident and the motors look brand new. No dust, dirt, etc...

Well, that's a bit of a puzzle.
With brushless outrunners there is literally nothing to grind except the bearings, and it's hard to imagine you'd get two.
Still, it happens! Just hang in there and 3DR will make it right. In the meantime check your gimbal wires to ensure they're not binding.

Marich, yeah I figured the same as you. Nothing to really make noise except the bearings. Maybe I merely got a bad batch during manufacturing. It also happens in the big aircraft world. especially military. lowest bidder and all you know. Lol
I am confident 3DR will make good concerning this issue.

Well, after the long wait since June and a dead end through DSLRPros, I finally received my Solo direct from 3DR a few weeks ago. I have since logged three flights and have had as many issues.
The following is in no way intended to convey displeasure toward 3DR or the Solo. In fact, I am still happy with it.
First Flight: I was excited/nervous as I am still a novice unmanned vehicle pilot. However, the short flight went well, but the gimbal kept drooping uncommanded to point straight down. I could keep it raised with constant command from the paddle, but it was annoying. So after the flight I filed the trouble ticket with 3DR and was given instructions for a full controller calibration through my terminal on my Mac. Easy Peasy, Problem solved.

Second Flight: During my Operational Check Flight of the gimbal fix, i noticed a high pitched squealing noise periodically from what I believed to be the motors. It seemed to come and go as the craft was adjusting the the breeze. Once again, I filed a trouble ticket and video. This time the 3DR engineers said that, in some cases, high pitched squealing from the motors is, in so many words, part of the break-in period. He also stated that the noise is ok as long as there was no grinding from the motors. Call me skeptical, but my 21 years of auto/aircraft mechanic knowledge tells me any squealing from a bearing type motor is not good...but I'm new at this UAV stuff, so i listened to the engineer. ;P

Third Flight: Squealing louder and more constant this time and why yawing, the aircraft jerked as if it was losing signal, yet it was only about 20 feet away from me. Didn't want to push it so I landed. While talking with my neighbor and prepping the Solo for its rest in the backpack, I instinctively spun the props, which now I realize I should have done in the first place. Sure enough #04 was grinding and #02 was as well, but not as much. Once again, as per my routine after every flight so far...I filed a trouble ticket and sent a video.

I anticipate that I will have to send the craft back to them for repair, but am not sure. Fingers crossed.

more to come...
Here is some RAW footage. Mines Sounds like a Pig squealing!
Can't contribute it to any thing in particular at this point, but all eye's & EAR"S will be on this pig!
Everything working correctly, almost perfect actually.

Glad you got the Gimbal working.
Let us know what 3dr thinks about the Pig squealing sound is.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Welcome to 3DRpilots

Can't contribute it to any thing in particular at this point, but all eye's & EAR"S will be on this pig!

Welcome to 3DRpilots

Steve, mine too had similar sounds but when faced away from the direct wind into the GoPro mic you could hear more of a consistent squealing.

Welcome to 3DRpilots

Yours almost sounds like the whistling of the blades cutting the wind.

Marich, yeah I figured the same as you. Nothing to really make noise except the bearings. Maybe I merely got a bad batch during manufacturing. It also happens in the big aircraft world. especially military. lowest bidder and all you know. Lol
I am confident 3DR will make good concerning this issue.
Curious, what motor has the issue?

Also my Solo makes this whistle but I recon it is related to the angle between the drone and the wind.
In fact If I point solo to a different direction the noise stops.

Welcome to 3DRpilots
I have never heard that squealing from my Solo. Flying backwards away from the GoPro mic might tell you if it is wind or something else.
Very strange sound fer sher dude!

I will hope this takes care of the constant squealing.
Will keep you all posted.

I'm fairly certain you'll see marked improvements. Just replaced the bearings in in my original Motor #4 and had improved results regarding the motor's balance. But then again, I bought two replacement motors and only one passed my inspection criteria. So they still have issues from my stand point. Good luck and do keep us posted with your results.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44