I finally got it! However...

After turning the props manually I found motor #04 to making a bit of noise and #02 a bit but not as much. So, I made this vid and got 3DR to ship me two new motors.

Dropbox - Video 11-5-15, 09 18 41.mov

I will hope this takes care of the constant squealing.
Will keep you all posted.[/QUOTE

Got the two new motors and just as RichWest mentioned concerning his two new ones, I too am not satisfied with the sound of the clockwise #2 one they sent me. Out of the box it was not a smooth and quiet as the other counterclockwise #4 I received. Nonetheless, I swapped out #4 and took to the air. Squealing seemed quieter/clearer both from ground and on vid, but still present.

Swapped out #2, then took to the air once again. Unfortunately, as I predicted, the squealing was still present and even a bit louder.

As with before, I called back 3DR and am awaiting call back from support after they confer with engineers...who by the way were originally telling me the noise is normal and will eventually dissipate in time. Let me guess, on the 31st day of ownership? :p

Will keep you posted.

I received the two motors recently and had a chance to swap them out today. One CW the other CCW. Straight out of the box the CW motor sounded rough. The CCW one was smooth and quiet. Like RichWest I too felt the #2 motor did not pass my standard of quality seeing as how all the others were smooth and quiet. Nonetheless, I pressed with the maintenance.
I swapped out the #4 CCW one and then took to the air. The squealing seemed to have gone away a bit, but was still present. I landed then returned to the maintenance.
Next I swapped out the #2 CW motor and once again took to the air. Unfortunately, the squealing remained and, in fact, was a little louder now. This result leads me to believe 3DR has a bad batch of Chinese motors that I unfortunately have, so, far, received three of.
So, with that, I called 3DR and they are once again sending me a #2 CW motor. I did not request the #4 CCW since it was good to go.
What I'm finding out as I call 3DR more and more is that the support personnel on the phone make every attempt possible to figure out the issue before referring to the engineers and are therefore more apt to send you parts without a fuss. However, when you are having to go the engineer route, you are required to send flight logs, video and detailed description of the event. A bit tedious for me, but it could be that I'm an aircraft mechanic and easily grow impatient because I've already troubleshot the issue to the route cause before calling. Another factor is possibly because I was initially told by the engineer that the sound is normal for new motors and will dissipate in time. When?...on the 31st day of ownership? :p

Will keep you all posted

Reactions: J R
Well, although some time has passed, I still wanted to keep you all updated as to my squeaky motor issue. Hope everyone had good holidays.
Since we last left our heros all 4 motors have been swapped out with new or ones determined to be good to go.
I did swap each positioned motor out with a couple different known good ones in between functional check flights and the noise eventually subsided a bit...but not completely.
After a bit of time running it through its paces and troubleshooting, I am now leaning toward the props making the remaining noise.
This would be the only other thing that is in motion during flight that could cause the issue.
Nonetheless, any ideas experiences would help.

Thanks

Reactions: RichWest
Well, although some time has passed, I still wanted to keep you all updated as to my squeaky motor issue. Hope everyone had good holidays.
Since we last left our heros all 4 motors have been swapped out with new or ones determined to be good to go.
I did swap each positioned motor out with a couple different known good ones in between functional check flights and the noise eventually subsided a bit...but not completely.
After a bit of time running it through its paces and troubleshooting, I am now leaning toward the props making the remaining noise.
This would be the only other thing that is in motion during flight that could cause the issue.
Nonetheless, any ideas experiences would help.

Thanks
Sorry if I missed this earlier, but does the noise occur when hovering in calm wind, or only when moving?

Maddog, there is a distinct difference in sound between flying into or angled toward the wind and the squeaking sound I'm hearing.
I did however notice to reduced to certain maneuvers. One of the loudest being a direct vertical ascent.
This is what was leading me to think it might be the bending of the blades in the wind.
RichWest, I'll try that next.

Reactions: Maddog
My question is you're an aircraft mechanic and having an issue remembering which way the natural rotation of the props spin. Even though you can tell by the blade pitch and the arrows marked on the blades......lol. just giving you a hard time.

Reactions: tbhl98
My question is you're an aircraft mechanic and having an issue remembering which way the natural rotation of the props spin. Even though you can tell by the blade pitch and the arrows marked on the blades......lol. just giving you a hard time.
Lol. Unfortunately, up till now, the only other prop I've dealt with was attached to a Rotax snow mobile motor and had a hellfire missile hanging from the wing. Couldn't hear any whistling from the prop in the video and the blades seem to be turning the right direction as it stayed afloat at in 36000ft. Other than that, it been all turbine aircraft.
Newbie problems. ;)

Reactions: Lance
Well, I got the squeaking to stop. It turns out an uncommanded accelerated decent toward then ground fromm 15 feet and subsequent impact, bounce, then immediate take off and bee line toward the closest palm tree to facilitate its redirection to the ground again for a second impact so hard the battery and GoPro are ejected from the craft seemed to work. SMH

Well, I got the squeaking to stop. It turns out an uncommanded accelerated decent toward then ground fromm 15 feet and subsequent impact, bounce, then immediate take off and bee line toward the closest palm tree to facilitate its redirection to the ground again for a second impact so hard the battery and GoPro are ejected from the craft seemed to work. SMH
Uh-oh..that's bad.

Very. Still waiting for it to sink in. SMH.
Logs sent to 3DR and I just found out they are no longer taking phone calls. Hope this is not another DSLRPros scenario. ughhh

Am trying to look into my logs with Mission Planner but am having issues connecting to my Solo for some reason.

Am trying to look into my logs with Mission Planner but am having issues connecting to my Solo for some reason.

Make sure all firewalls are off. That gave me headaches until I realized what the problem was.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44