How to properly detect an solo ?

VCD

Reaction score
With 3DR firmware, other GCS systems could look for STATUSTEXT "APM:Copter solo*" - and know that issuing the nc 10.1.1.1 command would give the video stream.

Now with OpenSolo, how can the GCS properly detect a solo ? (and so issue the command ?)

yes it has, ArduCopter 5.3.x does not send any statustext containing "solo"

Which does not affect anything. In fact it specifically does detect that and simply notes in the log that it isn't stock FW that's loaded. Nothing operationally requires it. And as to video stream, nothing has changed with that either.

Reactions: Maddog
I think you like to disagree, or just not read my question:

The 3DR Copter-fork sent a statustext to GCS containing the word "solo"
Of course, the ArduCopter firmware does not do that.

So: if I want to make QGC of mavproxy to show video from Solo (which needs to be initialized by nc 10.1.1.1) - I must detect that the vehicle is a solo.
Before, it was done like: qgroundcontrol/APMFirmwarePlugin.cc at master · mavlink/qgroundcontrol · GitHub

now that method won't work, so as-is - QGC wont' automatically diaply video from OpenSolo.
So my question stands:

how can the GCS properly detect a solo ?

maybe we can think of an answer now, not telling there is no such problem ? :)

Last edited:
I read your questions repeatedly. This latest reply is the first you've ever put some context and detail to it, wording it completely differently. Ask better questions if you want better answers. Insulting someone, then demanding they solve your problem for you isn't generally good practice.

So open wide and I'll spoon feed you too. Ready. Here goes. ping 10.1.1.1. Or, just send the start video command in the blind when the applications starts. If there's a solo ready to broadcast video, it will do so. If not, it won't. That's what Mission Planner does and it works fine. Or make a button called "Start UDP Video".

Or, if you're so smart and I'm so dumb, figure out something else.

I was trying to avoid to send in the wild as I not sure how often nc command would try that (and any excessive traffic is bad for systems on iriduim link) - also , a forced nc command may maybe take over the stream from another receiver.
looking for a ping response is sketchy too, as many other systems (on UAV or ground) may be on that address, so it's not a "perfect" solution.
I was really hoping for something that returned a signature, or some recognizable login-text, but I take there is no such way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig