how to place the orbit point

Solo should come with a warning on the box that states "do not purchase this product if you are an idiot". This forum confirms my concerns almost every time I log on.

Reactions: Earldgrayjr
I think someone else already mentioned it, but I simply fly over the object I wish to orbit, with camera facing the ground, and line it up as precisely as I can. Then move the map to place the target point directly over solos icon. Then position solo where I want to orbit from, adjust the camera angle and boom. It works.

Reactions: RichWest
DodgeP, the Solo doesn't have the capability of "locking" the camera onto a target. It's locks the drones path according to the target you set on the map and then adjusts the yaw to keep the drone, not the camera, pointed at the target. You could actually point the camera in a completely opposite direction such as facing away from your subject and it will still orbit around the point you selected on the map and film everything around it.

Point of interest in tower, but not in solo app

I live in Canada and our maps are not always up to date, if they are done at all. I was thinking to make an app to super simplify orbits over Christmas. From the brief reading I've done, and with my current equipment, it would be for android only. What I'd like it to do is take the solo's current position as the center, then fly out straight north to a default (60 feet?) and then do the orbit. Of course, it'd have adjustable radius and altitude. I think that would be a big help for me, what do you think?

I live in Canada and our maps are not always up to date, if they are done at all. I was thinking to make an app to super simplify orbits over Christmas. From the brief reading I've done, and with my current equipment, it would be for android only. What I'd like it to do is take the solo's current position as the center, then fly out straight north to a default (60 feet?) and then do the orbit. Of course, it'd have adjustable radius and altitude. I think that would be a big help for me, what do you think?
There are a few things I'd like to add to Orbit.
1) Use controller location as center point. Often I want to film things that aren't on a map, such as a car. It can take forever to try to locate the exact point on a map. If I could just place the controller, or mobile device where I want the center to be, that would be a huge time saver. Also, on some maps, they just aren't accurate due to the angle of the image taken. It's not directly overhead.
2) Use current camera view as center point. It knows where the solo is in X,Y,Z space, and it knows where the camera is pointing by the angle and distance. Let us use that point where the camera is pointing to set the center point.

1) Use controller location as center point. Often I want to film things that aren't on a map, such as a car. It can take forever to try to locate the exact point on a map. If I could just place the controller, or mobile device where I want the center to be, that would be a huge time saver. Also, on some maps, they just aren't accurate due to the angle of the image taken. It's not directly overhead.
2) Use current camera view as center point. It knows where the solo is in X,Y,Z space, and it knows where the camera is pointing by the angle and distance. Let us use that point where the camera is pointing to set the center point.
Those are great ideas, thanks!

1) I'm not sure (yet) how to get the controller position, but the mobile device should be straightforward.

2) this would definitely take me some time, but would be totally awesome. Love it!

Are you talking about Google maps?
Are you going to develop the app yourself?

Yes Google Maps is not so great here. And yes, I'm going to develop the app myself.

Reactions: Maddog

Read post 63, it tells you exactly how to find a point not on a map (like you say, a car) and set up a good orbit.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo