how to place the orbit point

Well yeah, it really has bee that easy for me. Luck? It's just works man. Check it out...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to be a downer but this orbit is terrible and here's why. From the 0 second mark the boy isn't even the center of the orbit, the center seems to be about 3" camera left. So we've identified what we think to be center however; just for the fun of it, we'll also run a hypothetical that the boy is center - by the 25 second mark, both center points are either wrong or off center.

I'm not here to bash the Solo or you and when I was saying that maybe you were getting lucking in setting your center point, this video isn't a great example of that luck my friend. I'm pretty sure I can pull this "orbit" off manually.

Personally, I think it makes for a better and more interesting video when the subject isn't dead center framed the whole time. But I guess if that's what you need then that's what you need.

If you're going into this expecting automated precision from a new technology under $2000 then you're probably expecting too much. Also, consider how strong of a signal and how many satellites your getting as that will factor in too. But try dragging the map to the "bulls-eye" and you'll see the process is actually very simple.

A solution for you would be to shoot wider than normal in 4k and then in post you can anchor your subject and get the results you desire.

Also, I think it's safe to say (as long as you have good GPS signals) that it probably does orbit around the target on the map quite accurately. But your camera position may not be centered exactly on the subject so it will appear to be off. The orbit mode (as far as I know) orbits around the point on the map and has nothing to do with where your camera is pointing.

Personally, I think it makes for a better and more interesting video when the subject isn't dead center framed the whole time. But I guess if that's what you need then that's what you need.

If you're going into this expecting automated precision from a new technology under $2000 then you're probably expecting too much. Also, consider how strong of a signal and how many satellites your getting as that will factor in too. But try dragging the map to the "bulls-eye" and you'll see the process is actually very simple.

A solution for you would be to shoot wider than normal in 4k and then in post you can anchor your subject and get the results you desire.

Also, I think it's safe to say (as long as you have good GPS signals) that it probably does orbit around the target on the map quite accurately. But your camera position may not be centered exactly on the subject so it will appear to be off. The orbit mode (as far as I know) orbits around the point on the map and has nothing to do with where your camera is pointing.

None of this makes sense to me. As all of it is completely opposite of what this quad is supposed to do, and all for under $2000. Your solution of getting a wider than normal 4k shot is no solution and doesn't even factor as an answer to the question we're discussing.

This camera has very little yawing motion and in an orbit setup I doubt very seriously that anyone is trying to adjust yaw as opposed to pitch and altitude. I will stab at being correct when I state that your orbit, when initially set will 65" feet from the front facing side of your bird so I'm not sure how you set up an orbit without pointing your camera at the target unless you simply don't have a camera attached.

Not to be a downer but this orbit is terrible and here's why. From the 0 second mark the boy isn't even the center of the orbit, the center seems to be about 3" camera left. So we've identified what we think to be center however; just for the fun of it, we'll also run a hypothetical that the boy is center - by the 25 second mark, both center points are either wrong or off center.

I'm not here to bash the Solo or you and when I was saying that maybe you were getting lucking in setting your center point, this video isn't a great example of that luck my friend. I'm pretty sure I can pull this "orbit" off manually.

First of all, you have no idea what I centered the orbit on (fyi - it's the third dirt clod to the right of the that other dirt clod next to that blade of grass). Secondly, i don't know why I have to mention it, it's a moving subject so of course he's not going to be centered. Third, if I shot this manually, which I highly doubt you could pull off successfully with such a tight orbit, then who's going to hit the ground balls? Lastly, I watched the bird go around and around many times and it was following the same path every time and appeared to be quite accurate.
It's the camera that's not centered on the orbit point which is apparently what you desire and expect. The drone orbits the point you chose on the map and not where you pointed the camera. It's up to you to position the camera accordingly. What's terrible is your single minded thought process my friend. ;)

None of this makes sense to me. As all of it is completely opposite of what this quad is supposed to do, and all for under $2000. Your solution of getting a wider than normal 4k shot is no solution and doesn't even factor as an answer to the question we're discussing.

This camera has very little yawing motion and in an orbit setup I doubt very seriously that anyone is trying to adjust yaw as opposed to pitch and altitude. I will stab at being correct when I state that your orbit, when initially set will 65" feet from the front facing side of your bird so I'm not sure how you set up an orbit without pointing your camera at the target unless you simply don't have a camera attached.

Well I don't know what to tell you other than go out and try it. I really have no idea what your talking about when you say it's stuck at 65' because the times I've used it I just dragged the map on the point I wanted to orbit and wherever my drone was (30' or 300' away) it stayed at that distance.

DodgeP, the Solo doesn't have the capability of "locking" the camera onto a target. It's locks the drones path according to the target you set on the map and then adjusts the yaw to keep the drone, not the camera, pointed at the target. You could actually point the camera in a completely opposite direction such as facing away from your subject and it will still orbit around the point you selected on the map and film everything around it.

First of all, you have no idea what I centered the orbit on (fyi - it's the third dirt clod to the right of the that other dirt clod next to that blade of grass). Secondly, i don't know why I have to mention it, it's a moving subject so of course he's not going to be centered. Third, if I shot this manually, which I highly doubt you could pull off successfully with such a tight orbit, then who's going to hit the ground balls? Lastly, I watched the bird go around and around many times and it was following the same path every time and appeared to be quite accurate.
It's the camera that's not centered on the orbit point which is apparently what you desire and expect. The drone orbits the point you chose on the map and not where you pointed the camera. It's up to you to position the camera accordingly. What's terrible is your single minded thought process my friend. ;)

So you put up a bad example of an orbit and now you're upset. I get it. I really do.

So you put up a bad example of an orbit and now you're upset. I get it. I really do.
I'm not upset. It doesn't matter to me if you don't like my orbit shot. I'm trying to help you understand how your drone works. FYI - my teenage boys, without reading the manual, figured out how to use Orbit in 2 seconds.

well, this went off the deep end.
1. Currently, the only way to set your orbit point is to MOVE THE MAP, not the drone. Since the sat maps are out of date, this is less than ideal.
2. There really is a better way and 3DR will figure it out, so no worries.
3. As for my expectations, i need not apologize. I expect it to work the best way it can, and currently, it doesn't.

Thanks for all the help and discussion guys. Keep it classy.

Is there a solid "how to" video to for Orbit without an internet connection? This is and "follow me" are the only two I havent tried yet.
Im not sure about how accurate using our fingers to select a spot on a map to orbit around will be?
Im also using a tablet without internet and so far I havent seen my cached maps show up when I try them...

s
What do you get? That you're a douche who feels compelled to critique and belittle the things others share? This is at least the third time I've seen you do that to something posted by another member.

You're better than everyone. We get it. We really do.

Actually I don't think I'm better than anyone else but here's the rub, just because you put something up and it doesn't cut it with everyone doesn't mean it's being belittled. Don't like what I have to say, ignore me bro.. It's that simple - try it - you might like it!

Is there a solid "how to" video to for Orbit without an internet connection? This is and "follow me" are the only two I havent tried yet.
Im not sure about how accurate using our fingers to select a spot on a map to orbit around will be?
Im also using a tablet without internet and so far I havent seen my cached maps show up when I try them...

You don't need an internet connection to setup an orbit shot. If you have an idea of where you'll be flying before you get there you can simply download the map for that area. You can zoom in as far as you like to get a decent street view.

The issue that was being discussed here was the almost non existent way to verify your orbit point and at best you're taking a guess at where your center point is. The bullseyes seems to put you in the vicinity but at some point you're center point will fall out of center (at least that's what I've seen in the videos I've watched) .

You don't need an internet connection to setup an orbit shot. If you have an idea of where you'll be flying before you get there you can simply download the map for that area. You can zoom in as far as you like to get a decent street view.

The issue that was being discussed here was the almost non existent way to verify your orbit point and at best you're taking a guess at where your center point is. The bullseyes seems to put you in the vicinity but at some point you're center point will fall out of center (at least that's what I've seen in the videos I've watched) .
Im putting up a thread n how to get the most updated maps. ok, everyone contribute!

Actually I don't think I'm better than anyone else but here's the rub, just because you put something up and it doesn't cut it with everyone doesn't mean it's being belittled. Don't like what I have to say, ignore me bro.. It's that simple - try it - you might like it!

[personal attack removed]
The sample video was to show that you can indeed have an orbit diameter other than 65'. It's quite obvious it wasn't meant to show pinpoint accuracy considering the subject is moving.

Last edited by a moderator:
The sample video was to show that you can indeed have an orbit diameter other than 65'. It's quite obvious it wasn't meant to show pinpoint accuracy considering the subject is moving.
I'm aware that you can change the orbit diameter. That has never been in question. It is the accuracy of the pivot point. that is the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, flash of brilliance just occurred in my brain. the only live information on the screen during Orbit set up is the drone location (blue dot) and the Home location. (where the drone acquired gps lock)
those two points appear superimposed over the satellite map. Theoretically, you could fly the drone over the desired anchor spot, then move the map, so that the "bullseye" is placed directly on top of your drone blue dot. then, pull your drone back to the desired radius. You should see the blue dot on the map, bull back from the bullseye as you pull the drone back to you Orbit ring. Now set the orbit point.
This should work, yes?

I'm aware that you can change the orbit diameter. That has never been in question. It is the accuracy of the pivot point. that is the issue.
Not sure it will ever be 'exact' except by accident. Reason being is orbit relies on GPS for each point of the circle. With civilian GPS that means a possible variance of 3-20'.

Reactions: RichWest and Maddog
That's where I think "look at me" in combo with orbit will help, if you can tag the actor with an android phone or similar it seems to do a pretty good job of pointing the camera there. In my single test it would be less than 5ft. Orbit might be off, but camera pointing might help. If it's a structure or landmark 20ft might not be noticeable

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela