how to place the orbit point

Is there a solid "how to" video to for Orbit without an internet connection? This is and "follow me" are the only two I havent tried yet.
Im not sure about how accurate using our fingers to select a spot on a map to orbit around will be?
Im also using a tablet without internet and so far I havent seen my cached maps show up when I try them...

You can't cache the maps to your tablet without internet capability. You need the Internet to allow maps to be cached, at least at home before you go fly.

I have to admit, I don't use orbit much. Most times I have it has just been to make a curve and then cancel, though I have used Spline for that more lately.

Why not just use Tower though? You can place your center, set your radius, number of circles etc. all before you start and then just go? If you don't like what you are seeing? Just pause it, make some changes, upload and go again.

If you wanted, you could even go to one of the spots in the orbit with Solo. Point your camera. Place your pin on the center , and move the radius out to where the Solo is. That would get you exact center, with exact orbit radius based on the perspective you want, and the exact camera angle.

Am I missing something?

The Smart Shots are quick and easy, but Tower is a VERY powerful program. Spline waypoints are amazing, and you can even control the gimbal in different ways from a Point of Interest to a manual angle, all while having the Solo fly some unrelated 3D pattern.

Last edited:
Not sure it will ever be 'exact' except by accident. Reason being is orbit relies on GPS for each point of the circle. With civilian GPS that means a possible variance of 3-20'.
I agree, with civilian GPS is not going to be dead on. The logic is playing out in real time, from a static image. Further you are able to change the circumference and elevation on the fly. Just to many variables with fallible accuracy.

I agree the default is set too large and a feature to change distance would be helpful. Maps just don't provide fine detailing for smaller orbits of say 10' or less. A point and drag ability in flight would make the best option for fine detail, still would have errors however.

Possibly they can correct in software. I'm amazed at what its able to do at its current level of performance. It is going to get better.

All these limitation will change in the coming years or possibly months. Lidar as an example could provide better control within the space. Real time skyview will virtually eliminate the need for today's GPS. We're talking scary accuracy levels then.

Just want to point out some basic pilotage fact ... When flying aircraft around a point - known as "turn around a point" the aircraft is subject to drift and the pilot must compensate. The aircraft will turn in circles, however the center will move without correction.

Solo is flying a perfect orbit ... The center point of the orbit is drifting ... Wind, GPS, corialis ... It's not perfect ... That's why there are pilots

Solo compensates for wind, etc. to maintain a constant distance from the center point. Not sure what you mean "the center point is drifting"?

I went back to the Solo Manual and read the instruction very carefully. Then I went out and tested what I read. Guess what, Solo can fly a circle the circumference of a basketball above your head and keep the camera centered on you no problem.

I was shocked and surprised based on all the comments entered here. You just need to understand you are the blue dot, white triangle is Solo now read the instruction again. You can control the circumference. I have video I will upload during the week.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went back to the Solo Manual and read the instruction very carefully. Then I went out and tested what I read. Guess what, Solo can fly a circle the circumference of a basketball above your head and keep the camera centered on you no problem.

I was shocked and surprised based on all the comments entered here. You just need to understand you are the blue dot, white triangle is Solo now read the instruction again. You can control the circumference. I have video I will upload during the week.
Solo can fly a near perfect circle. The question is how to get the target perfectly centered.
Most times the Solo app "orbit" function is fine, but sometimes people want more precision.

I found a very accurate and repeatable way in Tower..
Spinning in circles on my day off | 3D Robotics Drone Forum

Watch the video full screen, and put your finger on me in the center. At 97 feet up and 47 feet out with a 5.44 (narrow) FOV lens, there was about 3 ft of variation from center. And I was able to repeat it over and over.

That is about the variation of commercial GPS, and this was on a windy day.. I would say that is about as close as the current technology allows :)

I was able to designate orbit target by moving the map. was adjusting the distance while engaged.
video in the link
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You don't need an internet connection to setup an orbit shot. If you have an idea of where you'll be flying before you get there you can simply download the map for that area. You can zoom in as far as you like to get a decent street view.

The issue that was being discussed here was the almost non existent way to verify your orbit point and at best you're taking a guess at where your center point is. The bullseyes seems to put you in the vicinity but at some point you're center point will fall out of center (at least that's what I've seen in the videos I've watched) .
Love this thread.....haha....How and where do I download the maps?

Love this thread.....haha....How and where do I download the maps?
Connect your tablet to the Internet. Start Solo app. Go to map mode. Move the map to the area you will fly. Zoom in and out to make sure you get the map level detail you want. Disconnect from Internet and connect to Solo. Should be there to fly with.

Hey guys ,

Is there a way for solo to do the orbit without having to hold the right stick left or right to move solo? Like a play / fly button?

Many thanks

So, I'm curious. I've read through this thread top to bottom.

I'm using Android. Solo.
It's a Samsung Note 3, ( I don't believe the feed is quite up to scratch from what I have seen on the 3dr promo vids or specifically here - Maybe I need an ipad )

Anyway, where is this line on Android? How easy does he make this look?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You can see the blue dot ( pilot )
You hover the drone in front facing the tree.
You move the map around and bring the central point over the tree, ( so now that immediately effects the default distance ?? )

You tilt the gimble.
You press orbit right or left.

Easy? Not so on my Android Device. Horrible trying to set this up for smaller orbit.

Why does it feel like this drone is IOS optimised?
Has anyone followed this up as there were the best suggestions how this should work at the beginning of the thread.

Screen Shot 2015-10-15 at 12.20.39 am.png Screen Shot 2015-10-15 at 12.23.58 am.png Screen Shot 2015-10-15 at 12.24.48 am.png

I start off admitting I don't use orbit much.

I have used it to crerate an "arc" for video, and that is simple enough. A while back though some people were in search of a highly accurate way to create an orbit. I had an idea and the day off so I set out to do that in Tower, because it givees you more control. I came up with a way to orbit very reliably and accurately in Tower, that I have used several times since. It sounds more complicated than it is, once you do it.

This doesn't answer the orbit function in the Solo app, but does explain how to orbit well in Tower.

I start off admitting I don't use orbit much.

I have used it to crerate an "arc" for video, and that is simple enough. A while back though some people were in search of a highly accurate way to create an orbit. I had an idea and the day off so I set out to do that in Tower, because it givees you more control. I came up with a way to orbit very reliably and accurately in Tower, that I have used several times since. It sounds more complicated than it is, once you do it.

This doesn't answer the orbit function in the Solo app, but does explain how to orbit well in Tower.

Thanks for getting back to me.
I will try that, a bit disappointing that I just believe they are focused on the IOS app.

None of this makes sense to me. As all of it is completely opposite of what this quad is supposed to do, and all for under $2000. Your solution of getting a wider than normal 4k shot is no solution and doesn't even factor as an answer to the question we're discussing.

This camera has very little yawing motion and in an orbit setup I doubt very seriously that anyone is trying to adjust yaw as opposed to pitch and altitude. I will stab at being correct when I state that your orbit, when initially set will 65" feet from the front facing side of your bird so I'm not sure how you set up an orbit without pointing your camera at the target unless you simply don't have a camera attached.
Hold on a minute. On the first page of this thread you didn't even seem to realize your supposed to move the map. How can you be so sure it doesn't work based on your experience if you weren't aware of something so obvious?

[sigh]. You can't say something doesn't work with bluster and authority if you don't know what your doing and haven't bothered to learn. It's not like it's some undocumented hard to figure out feature. The instructions are right there in the app. There is even a video that shows you how to do it - and it's been there since day one.

Last edited by a moderator:
[sigh]. You can't say something doesn't work with bluster and authority if you don't know what your doing and haven't bothered to learn. It's not like it's some undocumented hard to figure out feature. The instructions are right there in the app. There is even a video that shows you how to do it - and it's been there since day one.
It should have "mind link" where it connects to your brain and knows what you don't know, and then tells that to you. Damn 3DR... :)

Last edited:
Reactions: erikgraham

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela