How to live streaming to PC

Reaction score
The information for live streaming to pc is limited in the internet. And the tutorial from this site Video Pipeline | 3DR Solo Development Guide does not has complete description at all. Does anyone here know how to enable live streaming function in PC. Probably provide a step by step putty tutorial.

I agree the video documentation is very poor at the moment. Hopefully, 3DR will follow through with their promise (like they usually do albeit slowly) to update their video API.

1. First, install the solo-cli on your computer. If you'd rather not do this step, then you can run the commands listed inside this python file instead.
  2. After installing solo-cli, we need to generate and accept the public keys from the solo and controller. To do this, do the following:
  3. Connect to your Solo's wifi then ssh [email protected] with Putty. Password is TjSDBkAu From there, accept the key and you'll be logged in to the controller. At this point just exit.
  4. ssh [email protected] with the same password, accept then close. At this point, you are all set up. If you don't do the above two steps, you'll have problems with solo-cli connecting. They just don't tell you that in the documentation.
  5. Now do solo-cli video acquire and your solo will reboot.
  6. Next, open up Notepad and paste the content of the SDP file here. Save it as sololink.sdp but make sure you choose All Files in the drop down list otherwise it'll end up saving it as sololink.sdp.txt
  7. This is the tricky part.. You will need to initiate a connection to the controller to tell it "Hey, I'm going to be the app that will receive this video feed." If you are on Windows, try telnet 10.1.1.1 5502 from a command prompt but I haven't tested this. Let me know if it doesn't work. On Mac and Linux, just do nc 10.1.1.1 5502
  8. When all goes well, you should be able to open the SDP file in VLC and immediately see your stream.

Reactions: Helios-AZ
I agree the video documentation is very poor at the moment. Hopefully, 3DR will follow through with their promise (like they usually do albeit slowly) to update their video API.

1. First, install the solo-cli on your computer. If you'd rather not do this step, then you can run the commands listed inside this python file instead.
  2. After installing solo-cli, we need to generate and accept the public keys from the solo and controller. To do this, do the following:
  3. Connect to your Solo's wifi then ssh [email protected] with Putty. Password is TjSDBkAu From there, accept the key and you'll be logged in to the controller. At this point just exit.
  4. ssh [email protected] with the same password, accept then close. At this point, you are all set up. If you don't do the above two steps, you'll have problems with solo-cli connecting. They just don't tell you that in the documentation.
  5. Now do solo-cli video acquire and your solo will reboot.
  6. Next, open up Notepad and paste the content of the SDP file here. Save it as sololink.sdp but make sure you choose All Files in the drop down list otherwise it'll end up saving it as sololink.sdp.txt
  7. This is the tricky part.. You will need to initiate a connection to the controller to tell it "Hey, I'm going to be the app that will receive this video feed." If you are on Windows, try telnet 10.1.1.1 5502 from a command prompt but I haven't tested this. Let me know if it doesn't work. On Mac and Linux, just do nc 10.1.1.1 5502
  8. When all goes well, you should be able to open the SDP file in VLC and immediately see your stream.
Thx mate! Will try on it. Hopefully someone will make a tutorial video on this.

Am I correct in assuming that when doing this, the video will not be available on the phone/tablet? As far as I recall, it can only go to one device at a time, and your PC would be that one device.

You might want to check out the discussion here:
Solo Video Acquire - Please?
There are folks working on reversing the mess 3DR caused when they decided not to support a public API for video operations.

There are folks working on reversing the mess 3DR caused when they decided not to support a public API for video operations.

I wouldn't characterize that decision as a mess. The technical justification for not doing so is pretty obvious, considering all that's happening under the hood is gstreamer piping from the GoPro to the Solo, and the implementation is easier to dig up than this forum post. Burying it under fifty-six metric craploads of syntactical sugar wouldn't do anything but make it harder to implement adaptations for advanced holographic displays such as I'm doing now (hence the HoloLens.)

Instead, I reserve my judgment for the fact that the documentation is wrong (and a disingenuous duplication of effort for the most part.)

Any chance anyone knows of an archive of the dronekit.io discussion forums? There is a lot of stuff I'm looking to find and/or use that seems to have been deposited there and now the links are dead.

Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc