How to do Camera trigger in Tower?

Reaction score
I have spent the weekend trying to do surveys. For some reason that I can't understand, there are no pictures taken. I can take pictures and videos manually with Tower by tapping the shutter button on the screen.

The gear is Solo with gimbal and Gopro Hero4 black and Nexus 9. All softwares are up to date. Have re-installed latest gopro firmware manually and re-formatted the sd-card.

My workflow in Tower is as follows.
Everything is connected and camera is on.
In Editor. Choose the "curved lines" button and pick survey or spline survey.
Draw a square. (or a "U" which does not creates unnecessary wayoints at the end)
Pick the green button (point of interest) that showed up at the bottom left to bring up details.
Choose camera "Gopro Hero 4 black wide" it is the only Hero4 in the list. Have also tried some of the other Hero 3 in the list with no luck.
Adjust altitude, overlap and sidelap.
Upload mission.
Now there are more point of interests added at the bottom of the screen. Two of them are are called camera trigger. The first one has a value entered for the distance between each picture. The second one has a zero.
Check that camera is still on.
Hit Fly and give some gas to get off the ground.
Point the camera down.
Take a test shot.
Hit auto and let the mission begin.
When running the survey everything looks fine and there are blue areas displayed on the screen that seems to show the area covered by each picture. The picture counter does not count.

Have tried latest Tower beta too. The only difference was that it does not display the blue areas on the map.

Is there anyone that have got these camera triggers working and can tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

I have spent the weekend trying to do surveys. For some reason that I can't understand, there are no pictures taken. I can take pictures and videos manually with Tower by tapping the shutter button on the screen.

The gear is Solo with gimbal and Gopro Hero4 black and Nexus 9. All softwares are up to date. Have re-installed latest gopro firmware manually and re-formatted the sd-card.

Draw a square. (or a "U" which does not creates unnecessary wayoints at the end)
Pick the green button (point of interest) that showed up at the bottom left to bring up details.
Choose camera "Gopro Hero 4 black wide" it is the only Hero4 in the list. Have also tried some of the other Hero 3 in the list with no luck.
Upload mission.
Now there are more point of interests added at the bottom of the screen. Two of them are are called camera trigger. The first one has a value entered for the distance between each picture. The second one has a zero.
Point the camera down.
Take a test shot.
When running the survey everything looks fine and there are blue areas displayed on the screen that seems to show the area covered by each picture. The picture counter does not count.

Have tried latest Tower beta too. The only difference was that it does not display the blue areas on the map.

Is there anyone that have got these camera triggers working and can tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!
I had the same issue and it appears the camera trigger was broken in the last release. 3DR has been made aware of it but there is 1 line missing in the python script for triggering the camera. You can read more about it here..

Reactions: perkele
No Facebook for me- was broken in the last release of? Tower?
Do the older versions still work?

Upload mission.
Point the camera down.
Take a test shot.

Thanks!

Hello perkele, have you resolved the problem with Tower.

I have exactly the same problem.

I will searching, I found a post that said we have to change a solo internal file with Bitvise SHH Client but still Tower does not take pictures.

I wolud appreciate your comments.

Thanks.

Hej

Someone in the Facebook group had reported this as a bug, so I gave up and do what I can, hammering the update button. If I remember correct they were not sure about what was missing in the file. Someone said it was only one row that was missing. I have not figured out where the files are committed. Do you know where we can track of the reported Solo/Tower bugs? When the bug is fixed, it should be possible to download the file and replace the bad one. Should be pretty safe, it's only about triggering a camera :rolleyes:

Maddog, Wise decision regarding Facebook. Not sure which update this came with and do not know how to down grade. I rely on the guys with coding skills that are doing such a fantastic work.

Reactions: Maddog
i have no idea when the fix will be in.

source code can be found in github but you have to remember they are re-basing it with arducopter changes so'll need to look at the branches in both to determine where you want to pull from.

ardu-pilot solo
github.com/3drobotics/ardupilot-solo

ardu-pilot solo rebase
GitHub - 3drobotics/ardupilot-solo-rebase

Reactions: perkele

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig