How is your 3DR Tech Support Experience

W

Wahapainan

I'm a little frustrated due to issues I've had with the Solo since I received it a month or so ago.

1) Tech support told me my LG G-Flex (both of them - tried my wife's as well) are incompatible with the wifi of the controller which ends up being fine when put a copper shield between the controller and either LG G-Flex's I own). The issue is the Wifi drops out when the Pad is in the controller.

2) Tech support said that I'm flying in Las Vegas when it's too hot outside. I often fly when it's 100-110 degrees out (which caused the Solo to RTH and actually unpair from the controller when I was way out). I was told by tech support that I might want to paint the controller white and that I am not to fly when it's above 113 outside per the manual (ok, got it summer flying is out in Vegas) The unpairing in flight was embarrassing having to let everyone know on the flight line that I didn't have control and still didn't have control when it was sitting in front of me. (Many DJI folks at my field).

3) To unplug the controller for 12hrs when the red light inside won't turn off and the Sololink wifi connection is still available.

4) I had been working with tech support on disconnect issues for two weeks and then it seems like they forgot where they were, one was trying to send me an RMA and another was asking me to send more details of the problem I was having which I had sent on August 11th.

I really love my Solo but these issues are frustrating as hell. I've had several friends buy Solo's on my recommendation and have spent hours troubleshooting these issues.

I really don't know what to say at this point. When I did tech support I'd send the customer a working product and have them ship back the old one. This may have saved me hours, and tech support hours - much cheaper in the long run and I wouldn't be so frustrated! I understand the controller may be getting hot, but not that a tablet that works fine is incompatible with the Wi-Fi on the Solo controller. Contemplating buying a replacement Solo at Fry's and returning this one.
Waha

Sorry for all your troubles. Since your thread is about customer support all I can say is if that is important to you then flying DJI is not going to be better.

My support experience was pretty good with 3DR although it required me to stay on them at all times. You really don't have that option with DJI because their support sucks.

Maybe you can get them to send you another one and see if it works better. I guess you know that the DJIs were working that day and you can always resort to that. But just don't expect help from them.

I have a sick feeling that tech support is totally overwhelmed with Solo problems of many kinds. I've already sent one of my Solo's back to repair the magnetic sensor. I've flown Solo in El Centro, Calif. at 113 degrees. Solo didn't hiccup but my ipad mini shut down. I have no idea when I will ever see Solo One again. Solo Two is kinda grounded until I get a gimbal. I want to see how it works before S-Two develops some problem. As I've already experienced a 50% failure rate i'm a little nervous. As McCabe said, you have to keep after them. In the mean time i'm flying my Blade for practice. Horizon Hobby is an American company with excellent service so far. I terminally crashed my first Blade and they sent me a new one because they couldn't fix it. There note to me read: In the interest of excellent customer service here's a brand new Blade. Enjoy. How often does that happen with a thousand dollar item? I'm hoping 3DR will become excellent once the figure out how to make a reliable product. I'm going to stick with them because I do believe this is the future. Also keep in mind that some very big players will be in the market sooner than many anticipate. I believe that fact is why Solo seems half baked. A rush to market with "The Worlds First Smart Drone". They had to be first. Good luck.

Sorry for all your troubles. Since your thread is about customer support all I can say is if that is important to you then flying DJI is not going to be better.

My support experience was pretty good with 3DR although it required me to stay on them at all times. You really don't have that option with DJI because their support sucks.

Maybe you can get them to send you another one and see if it works better. I guess you know that the DJIs were working that day and you can always resort to that. But just don't expect help from them.

Thanks for the responses, I view DJI as the antichrist of customer service. A day at the proctologist is more fun than dealing with them. This week in fact I was happy to have sold my P2V+ (not quite done with them as I still have a few Naza controllers in use).

I'll see how this weekend flying goes, if I have issues I've decided I'll do the retailer swap rather than trying to go through the RMA process. If they want to swap controllers out, I'd be up for that as well but I'm done wasting time on this.

Thanks for the responses, I view DJI as the antichrist of customer service. A day at the proctologist is more fun than dealing with them. This week in fact I was happy to have sold my P2V+ (not quite done with them as I still have a few Naza controllers in use).

I'll see how this weekend flying goes, if I have issues I've decided I'll do the retailer swap rather than trying to go through the RMA process. If they want to swap controllers out, I'd be up for that as well but I'm done wasting time on this.
113 Deg F is hot for electronics....
May sound crazy, but if the major problem is the controller, what about strapping a gel ice pack to the bottom?

113 Deg F is hot for electronics....
May sound crazy, but if the major problem is the controller, what about strapping a gel ice pack to the bottom?
Wonder if he did permanent damage flying in 110 degree heat. How is that even possible?

Wonder if he did permanent damage flying in 110 degree heat. How is that even possible?
Yahh... To hot.

My iPhone won't work in that heat either. I literally just had that happen yesterday on a balloon ride in PHX. Was taking pics and it quit, saying it needed to cool down. I wouldn't chance the same thing on something that requires the electronics to fly

Vegas is hot but it doesn't stop people who love the hobby. I end up leaving before many of the fliers because I don't handle the heat well. I flew a few batteries at a local golf course converted into a park. The cottages were an awesome place to keep cool Other than going into manual mode when I was playing slalom with the trees (which I expected) I didn't have any glitches. Interesting the braking on the Solo when you get to maximum speed down the fairways (I did notice I didn't lose altitude at top speed since the latest firmware update).

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've been in the business of kissing customer a$$ in the CNC industry for close to 30 years. I am extremely finicky about how I am treated on the phone, in a restaurant, by a doctor and with my UAVs. Not everything has been perfect but my experience with 3DR has them in my top 99%. DJI in the bottom 25% but considering the amount of the DJI purchase I should be saying bottom 5%. I always find the person on the other side of the phone and emails as professional and intelligent. I hope you all have the same experience as me.

I'm a little frustrated due to issues I've had with the Solo since I received it a month or so ago.

1) Tech support told me...

I've never been able to contact anyone at 3DR. Tried phone several times and not only did I not get through to a real person, their system just basically said "Goodbye". No message taken even. Email? Got one "we'll get back to you" auto responder. Never did.

Last call had me on hold for over 10 minutes then a machine with "we're really busy" message. At least that time there was an option to leave a message. I left a pretty curt message expressing my frustration at their lack of response. Finally got a call early SUNDAY morning no less. That was back when I was questioning the CC verification email.

I'm willing to cut them some slack given what I assume is an abnormally busy time what with the rollouts and all but can't say as I've been very impressed so far.

Reactions: Wahapainan
Tech support has been great. Customer service in the sales/billing SUCKS BALLS. How the hell do you take a credit card authorization and not charge the whole amount and then leave some one sitting and wondering why they haven't received their product on the promised shipment?

Alex (3drobotics)

Aug 26, 8:20 PM

Hi Floyd,

Hope you're doing well.
We apologize for the inconvenience. I checked on the system and it says that you called in and make the payment, we only capture part of your payment, there's still 128.79dlls left to be pay. You can call again or provide us a specific time, so we can call you back and take the payment. Our numbers are 1 (858) 225-1414 or 1 (855) 982-2898. I already leave notes, so every agent can be aware of this, I also going to inform my supervisor, so we can give you all of our attention.

Let me know if you have any questions or if there’s anything I can do to help.

In my opinion, Solo should fly reliably just about anywhere. When you begin eliminating the places it can't fly you are pretty much left with Rural, no trees, no water, no heat, no cold, no power lines, no magnetic activity, no hills, no buildings, etc., etc.. My jeep is full of electronics but somehow it works when it's below zero or when it's 120 degrees in Palm Springs, CA. How does that happen when just about everything on it is electronically controlled. The simple answer is it was designed that way. Solo was obviousely not. I've already queried 3DR as to just where I can fly Solo without it failing. No Answer. It's puzzling. I do advise anyone who sends their Solo in for repair to tell tech. support that while they have your airframe, to fix all the other things that they are aware of before returning it. I did and their return message was; "Understood". So I'll see what happens. My hope is that, in time, they will be able to get us all in the sky and keep us there.

Reactions: Wahapainan
In my opinion, Solo should fly reliably just about anywhere. When you begin eliminating the places it can't fly you are pretty much left with Rural, no trees, no water, no heat, no cold, no power lines, no magnetic activity, no hills, no buildings, etc., etc.. My jeep is full of electronics but somehow it works when it's below zero or when it's 120 degrees in Palm Springs, CA. How does that happen when just about everything on it is electronically controlled. The simple answer is it was designed that way. Solo was obviousely not. I've already queried 3DR as to just where I can fly Solo without it failing. No Answer. It's puzzling. I do advise anyone who sends their Solo in for repair to tell tech. support that while they have your airframe, to fix all the other things that they are aware of before returning it. I did and their return message was; "Understood". So I'll see what happens. My hope is that, in time, they will be able to get us all in the sky and keep us there.

Good Response Walter, just because it's 120 degree outside doesn't mean I keep my car parked in the garage. My car has more computers than a 1990's computer yet it's fine in extreme heat and cold. I've been flying R/C since the late 80's and love cold weather flying, still have some ski's for my twist 60 around here somewhere!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44