How do you guys feel about the latest gimbal update from 3DR?

Don't promise and promise a date if you cannot stick to it, and it makes my blood boil when oh check we went to X Y Z place to shoot with out drone with gimbal, stop $/%&$ traveling and put all your resources on the gimbal to get it out on freaking time like you know two months late.

Don't promise and promise a date if you cannot stick to it, and it makes my blood boil when oh check we went to X Y Z place to shoot with out drone with gimbal, stop $/%&$ traveling and put all your resources on the gimbal to get it out on freaking time like you know two months late.
You sound just 'a little' stressed..Couldn't imagine how you would react to receiving a gimbal on 7/31 that wouldn't work right. And you really think the people that were in Malta for the shoot were the engineers working on gimbal issues and the money spent delayed production?

And There is no better test for a product than real world applications and feedback. And even more useful is feedback from users whose blood does not have a tendency to 'Boil' during life's disappointments.

Fly Safe..and have a Great Day..

th

Blind fanboyism

This is not a tiny company that you would understand the constrains (cash related) to keep schedule, this is a well established company with preordes dating back to april (intent of purcharse, so you know you can go a get a loan with a bank) with a launch date of late May with a two month delay in the key aspect they are trying to sell with the drone (gimbal)

You want test go and do it out side your R&D center and get all that money from traveling and taking nice videos only 3DR can do right now and get 10 more engineer working the problems out or expand capacity if you have issues with production or perhaps overnight the damn gimbals.

So a soft launch at the end of may with shipments going all the way to July, delayed gimbal with another delay to get it right (wasn't that the first excuse?)

If you have no idea what is happening to the gimbal just don't set a date for the gimbals, and don't go around the world advertising a product that the second main function doesn't exist yet.

Reactions: Engine24blue
UX > SCHEDULE > COST
I like this rule. Everyone needs to chill. DJI was first to release the P3, and Collin was probably like Release this shit now, or pay the price later. As people who drop $1000+ for P3 are not going to drop for SOLO after the fact. So your an early adopter, sit tight and shut the F*&K up. Patience is a virtue.

Reactions: Toiletbowl
Blind fanboyism

This is not a tiny company that you would understand the constrains (cash related) to keep schedule, this is a well established company with preordes dating back to april (intent of purcharse, so you know you can go a get a loan with a bank) with a launch date of late May with a two month delay in the key aspect they are trying to sell with the drone (gimbal)

You want test go and do it out side your R&D center and get all that money from traveling and taking nice videos only 3DR can do right now and get 10 more engineer working the problems out or expand capacity if you have issues with production or perhaps overnight the damn gimbals.

So a soft launch at the end of may with shipments going all the way to July, delayed gimbal with another delay to get it right (wasn't that the first excuse?)

If you have no idea what is happening to the gimbal just don't set a date for the gimbals, and don't go around the world advertising a product that the second main function doesn't exist yet.

It's not fanboyism. It's reality.

Have you ever been involved in a product development cycle? It doesn't matter if you're talking about hardware, software, or building something as simple as a hammer. Stuff happens along the way. Design, production, shipping, dock strikes, stuff stuck in Customs, etc. It ain't as easy as it looks. But watching people whine day after day gets a little old.

It's not fanboyism. It's reality.

Have you ever been involved in a product development cycle? It doesn't matter if you're talking about hardware, software, or building something as simple as a hammer. Stuff happens along the way. Design, production, shipping, dock strikes, stuff stuck in Customs, etc. It ain't as easy as it looks. But watching people whine day after day gets a little old.
This is so true and a lot of people don't understand that part of the process. My company is coming out with a new body camera for police officers. We have one now but this is an improved design. As we got close to release and all the main parts are stocked, molds done, etc. We ran in to a sound issue that had to do with shielding. Got that fixed and had a production cabling issue. then we needed an updated firmware. Bottom line, we were 6-8 weeks behind where everybody said they would be done, plus what we built in as a cushion for new problems. But I wasn't going to release a product sub-par just to make our original forecast, and I know we will be better off for it.

Yes actually stuff 100000 more complex than a quadcopter, yet we are on time for delivery of our product. Yes things happens we pay a price to keep on schedule, if we can make drill rig units that cost $670mm a piece I believe a quadcopter can stay on schedule.

Most companies just release a product to the store when they have the product as ready as it can be for mass consumption, kinda like apple does you know they show the new Iphone a week later you have the Iphone that is the proper way to do business.

I show a product say it would be on the shelves of stores at a certain date and deliver, not like 3DR soft launch of the Solo, the massive delay of the gimbal.

Maybe is just that I'm used and expect something done the proper way from the start.

This is so true and a lot of people don't understand that part of the process. My company is coming out with a new body camera for police officers. We have one now but this is an improved design. As we got close to release and all the main parts are stocked, molds done, etc. We ran in to a sound issue that had to do with shielding. Got that fixed and had a production cabling issue. then we needed an updated firmware. Bottom line, we were 6-8 weeks behind where everybody said they would be done, plus what we built in as a cushion for new problems. But I wasn't going to release a product sub-par just to make our original forecast, and I know we will be better off for it.

Did you company had pre orders in advance? promised a deadline? didn't have a safety time for unforeseen issues in the schedule? promised and failed a second deadline?

I can understand the first issue ok shit happens, they did the right thing said well we had issues we are gonna fix them for your troubles you will get a second battery (nicely done that is MBA textbook) and then you said they would be done at the end of July.

You choose that date, no one did for you, so you sat with your engineers, software developers, product manufacturing managers, logistics managers, shipping partner and decided at the end that 31 July was the date.

for a second time you messed up, there is no nice way to put it.

LOL you all should return your SOLOS and go buy Phantom 3 STANDARDS. LOL LOL LOL. You knew there was no gimbal when yo bought it. So......? Stop crying about it. And be patient with the rest of us.

Actually when I did the preorder in April no one knew about the gimbal issue... I ordered directly from 3DR outside US, and I bought the Solo for many reasons like full control of the Gopro (missing) and the filming features (partially useless without gimbal)

So no DJI product for me, I like the Solo, but I wont sit clapping and cheering at every time they say boohoo we missed another deadline because we are striving for "perfection" so we don't know when we are going to ship the other very important feature of your smart drone.

Reactions: hv122
So no DJI product for me, I like the Solo, but I wont sit clapping and cheering at every time they say boohoo we missed another deadline because we are striving for "perfection" so we don't know when we are going to ship the other very important feature of your smart drone.

Fair statement. The simple fact is they took buyers money and told them when they would receive the product. We have watched several deadlines come and go while being $400 poorer for a gimbal charged to our credit card. Anyone in this position has a right to bitch.

They are just overwhelmed. They were kind enough to offer us a money back guarantee. Which I used.

Reactions: hv122
whining.jpg

And I have whined plenty. But it is time to move on. Either request a refund, or have the patience we are going to need to wait this out.

If my choices are a half baked and shoddy product or waiting for a quality finished product, I'll choose the frustration of waiting.

Last edited:
I got this reponse via email yesterday when I asked about my battery and gimbal.

Owen (3drobotics)

Aug 4, 12:50 PM

Sorry Nick,

Regarding your other questions, the free batteries will start shipping this week and the gimbal will be available during this month but unfortunately, we don't have an exact date.

Have a great day.

Considering the delay, I hope 3DR puts the gimbals on air freight instead of a slow boat from China.

At the end of the day the solo launch has been a disaster. They have pretty much completely missed the summer flying season. The P3P will have the same features as the solo by the time the gimble arrives meaning there is nothing to special about the solo anymore other than a bigger price tag.

I feel great about the solo luanch and cannot even compare it to a $67mill rig serving 1 customer. They are deliver cutting edge drone tech to the masses and doing a fine job of it. But with the masses you have a large variety personalities. 100% satifaction is nearly impossible. May i suggest unhappy customers sell your stuff and go get frustrated with DJI. Or better yet build it yourself so you get more satifaction in having costly mistake with your learning curve.

Reactions: Toiletbowl
I am not worried about the gimbal delay! I will enjoy it when it gets here, my only complaint is why do i not have my backpack, spare batts and rotors yet? Those should have been already shipped out! I am more upset with that then the gimbal!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc