How do you guys feel about the latest gimbal update from 3DR?

Would have been good to have had the update a week earlier, but it's better to have the gimbal right than rushed.

Reactions: Jubalr

Yeah, at the end of the day, I know you are right, and that waiting for a better product is the prudent thing to do. I'm honestly just tired of companies launching products that are half baked/incomplete with promises made about when the rest of the product will be available, and then having significant delays, or not delivering on the promises at all.

I realize that maybe 3DR doesn't have a history of doing this, and in all likelihood, they will deliver a stellar product (eventually), but what I mentioned above has become a pretty common occurrence in another hobby of mine (PC gaming), and I am pretty disappointed to see the same tendencies here in my newest hobby as well, even if I am projecting a bit of my disappointment from game devs on to 3DR.

Right thing to do. Deliver best possible product. Knowing that there are plenty of people anxious to get the gimbal, it would be great to have more updates on the progress. No updates means that people start making their own assumptions etc. No need, just keep us all updated.

Is it just me, or is this the FIRST delay of the gimbal from the release announcment?? And the delay will be two weeks??

I could be wrong... but that was my impression from the announcement, and also my recollection (although I am old so...there is that....)

From the announcement, it also looks like they are going into production today....

Is it just me, or is this the FIRST delay of the gimbal from the release announcment?? And the delay will be two weeks??

I could be wrong... but that was my impression from the announcement, and also my recollection (although I am old so...there is that....)

From the announcement, it also looks like they are going into production today....

Earl, actually the "early" purchasers were told it would ship end of May with Solo. Then at the last minute the Solo was going to ship first of June (pretty much on schedule) and the Gimbal would ship two weeks later.

In the end it has slipped at least three times. That said, by all means get it right. Since the final release required hardware "mass" adjustments which you cant handle with firmware :) .

Shipping a crappy gimbal would have been the death of the Solo. So two thumbs up from me for sticking to their quality standards.

I am fine with their announcement. Being in the midst of a huge house project, it is probably keeping me out of trouble. If they were shipping I would be off flying rather than working on the house!

I am fine with their announcement. Being in the midst of a huge house project, it is probably keeping me out of trouble. If they were shipping I would be off flying rather than working on the house!
Been there....got the Tee Shirt :D

It helps that they are up front about it, along with the CEO himself commenting on the other forum about it. That is "top notch" as far as I'm concerned.

It is what it is.. <shrugs>

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

i cant find it now but some dork freaked out about the the gimbal delay and posted he bought a phantom 3 instead and had anal with it and threw 3dr under the bus, along with their software being shit. pretty funny stuff. ill reply the post when if i come across it again.

as for their announcement im disappoint i wont be able to use the gimbal for an upcoming trip but, i posted in another thread i was able to get a back pack and another battery tho. ill take the wins when they come.

I'm perfectly content to wait months for a refined product rather than be frustrated with one that was shipped on time but has glitches.

Reactions: Toiletbowl
I will go buy a new lens for my DSLR and wait it out ... The anticipation of Solo was enough to make me crazy...my wife crazy. I spent mealtime lamenting over "what if", "maybe", "should I" and "I could" for some time ... made for a very strained relationship these past few months.

Solo is here now and I no longer worry about fly aways, crashing and visits from terrestrial beings. Solo works the way I hoped - save the GPS glitch - but for the most part I can do what I want to do with Solo ... take pictures and video from 50-250 feet AGL without having to fire up a Robinson R44 and empty my piggy bank. I am able to clip stills from video - without a gimbal - and I think they look pretty darn good.

I am certain 3DR strategic marketing had it out with engineering and product development numerous times. I think Solo was released in the hopes of punching DJI in the throat ... did it work? I walked away from DJI to chase Colin's dream. My bet is there are many others like me.

If 3DR released the gimbal and it had problems I most likely would have thrown a fit. I moved past the transmitter deficiency and GPS glitch as I am still able to fly and take pictures; albeit with a twist. A subpar gimbal would render Solo a deficient $1800 mistake ... 3DR obviously recognized this. The end user who is willing to drop this amount of coin is not going to be willing to accept "oh by the way, this doesn't work" ... I hate waiting, but I am more than willing to standby providing Solo and this gimbal perform flawlessly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dachl