Hot swap battery

I have been doing this now and it does save time. I have added it to the FAQ.
Didn't notice much difference. Before adding to the FAQ, it might be worthwhile to quantify the time savings with a stop watch. I find my first startup of the day is always the slowest. But subsequent launches from the same home point are always faster, as is to be expected with GPS database built during the first boot up. I don't notice any start up time difference between a quick swap and a "normal" swap. Am I doing something wrong? Are people comparing first boot versus subsequent reboots?

I wasn't aware of this thread, but can confirm I have done hot swap accidentally few times and found not only that the startup procedure and GPS lock is faster but I also get GPS lock where I previously could not.

I have a terrace that would be ideal for launch but it's impossible to acquire GPS lock on proper startup (terrace is surrounded by 3 walls and only north side is open), I have to walk out and place the Solo in the middle of the garden to launch. Once I launch I move back to the terrace and that's where I Iand when low on battery power, with hot swap I get GPS lock within seconds and take off from the terrace.

Next day my first launch I have to start from the middle of the garden again.

Erik,

When you say "normal swap," what do you mean? Do you turn off the power before you remove the battery? Doesn't this automatically turn off the GoPro, requiring you to manually turn it on again?

Erik,

When you say "normal swap," what do you mean? Do you turn off the power before you remove the battery? Doesn't this automatically turn off the GoPro, requiring you to manually turn it on again?
Yeah, I just mean: Land. Power down. Pull battery. Swap a new battery on. Turn GoPro back on. Turn on Solo.

Is the time savings just in not having to re-power the GoPro? I guess I should read back through the thread, but I thought folks were saying the entire boot up and GPS acquisition process was faster by hot swapping the battery. I haven't really found this to be the case.

Heck, I'm 6'6" and it's a pain to reach down and fire up the GoPro again with my fat fingers after shutting down the spent battery and inserting the new one. One less step to remember also.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbugg1233