Welcome to 3DRPilots.com

1. Chip Luck

Home made Solo's leg extensions completed, Solo now has some BALLS! Total cost, $4.

I was at Wally World yesterday and had an idea, so I bought a bag of rubber golf practice balls, then I just went nut's with the design. I cut balls interior with an Exacto knife blade to insert 1/2" automotive heater hose with some Goop adhesive, that is perfect for a snug fit on the bottom of the Solo Legs.

Probably paint the rear balls black, that way I have a heads-up on the front of Solo.

Hope you like it, I LOVE the mod! Keeps the cam/gimbal off the ground and give plenty of clearance. Plus, the rubber balls just feel good on landing, smooth man.

Looks like each extension is about ~7gm...

Let me know what ye' think?

Always - Cheers...

Attached Files:

emulsiondown likes this.
  2. Rich

Nice idea!

Are these really rubber, or some sort of plastic?

Why use the rubber tubing, can you just drill a hole about the size or a bit smaller than the leg of the Solo?

3. redriderroy

I really like your engineering that is so simple. I've been working on drawing a new leg extension in Solidworks and then 3D printing it. I need something that will not sink in the snow. I plan to get some good snowmobiling shots this winter and need a little less weight per square inch of the four legs. May have to just use a landing pad though.

Good Job Chip Luck!

Chip Luck likes this.
  4. Chip Luck

Wear and tear on the balls = just rubber. Guess I could, go for a lighter 'shaft', but originally I was just going to put some rubber hose on the legs, then added the balls. Again, just a WIP and having fun man... weight, I'll trim it down. First flight though, no problem'o. Cheers!

5. Chip Luck

Thanks man! Painted rear balls black - it helps on ID the front of Solo. First flight, lot's of good comments from fellow Solo owners. No patent here, just have fun. Re-design in the near future though for some weight changes, but Solo had no idea they were even there. Cheers.

6. Chip Luck

A rubber ball will not properly attach to the legs over and over time. You need some kind of a sheath that will slide onto the leg. This is the material I had on hand. Try your own invention, maybe you can do better? Cheers

#6 Chip Luck, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015