'High message traffic (!)'

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what problem 'High message traffic (!)' might indicate? It comes up in front of the video feed in solex when on map view. In my case, it comes up every single flight.

"High message traffic" warning
Occasionally when you connect to your Solo after powering it up, you'll see a warning appear on the screen saying "High message traffic". This happens because, on occasion, Solo will start to emit a huge number of "parameter received" messages, as though a client application has requested a set of parameters from it (it hasn't). This continues forever, and the message rate is roughly 10 times the normal rate. This uses far more bandwidth than necessary, which interferes with video streaming and other operations.To try and prevent (or fix) this, Solex periodically monitors how many messages per second it's receiving from the Solo. If it determines the rate is abnormally high, it starts requesting parameters from Solo to trigger a full refresh (which, importantly, eventually ends). The upshot is that eventually the message rate drops back down to normal. Solex also filters these messages out of the message stream sent to various parts of the application, but it still qualifies as an "abnormal condition" that it works to address.
During this time, it's suggested that you just wait until the message goes away. Things will most likely work normally, but not as "normally" as, well, normal.
Solex User Manual

Not sure what would cause it, though.

Reactions: JBAlaska and Damien
Yeah I'm trying to figure what to do about it. Happens every single flight with MP

It's normal.
Would be nice to be able to turn it off then if it's normal, it right in the middle of the small video feed so you can't see Center

I also have constant video feed issues, which in the description says the high traffic can cause video feed loss, so it would be nice to know if anything can be done to reduce it.

Would be nice to be able to turn it off then if it's normal, it right in the middle of the small video feed so you can't see Center

I also have constant video feed issues, which in the description says the high traffic can cause video feed loss, so it would be nice to know if anything can be done to reduce it.
I only see it when first turning Solo & Solex on, and occasionally after that. Kelly Schrock (creator) explained why it happens a long time ago (I don't remember why). You might send him a PM to see if he can help you out.

Yeah I searched the forum but couldn't find anything, no doubt it was described in the black hole of Facebook to be never seen again, although I don't partake in that platform regardless

I see it at start up about 50% of the time, but as soon as the flight is initiated it comes up nearly 100% of the time.

Funnily enough (insert canned laughter here) I see it when I'm connected to one of my drones, but not when connected to my two other drones ( I have a 4th and 5th, but don't connect to them as often)(yes I'm bragging a little, shut up!). So wondering if maybe it happens when the solo needs a cleanup? (logs downloaded and solo wiped?). Only saying it because it doesn't happen across all 3 of my drones.....

So wondering if maybe it happens when the solo needs a cleanup? (logs downloaded and solo wiped?). Only saying it because it doesn't happen across all 3 of my drones.....
happens to me across all my drones (also on the first use for two), but i use them all with one controller that has a microtic card installed. i also frequently download the logs through necessity for mapping, but i didn't notice that this ever made a difference... the logs don't get cleared when they're downloaded anyway. it';ll be a few weeks before i'm flying again, but i might try another controller, both with and without the microtic, though i don't see how that will make a difference, will just do it to eliminate the possibility

The HMT warning happens when you connect to the Solo and it starts spewing "parameter received" messages at the app without being asked to. It triggers a warning in the app because those messages are using up bandwidth that could otherwise be used for the video stream. On some devices (not all), it can cause the video stream to stutter. When you see that message appear, Solex is trying to get the Solo to stop sending the messages. It requests a parameter refresh, which typically results in Solo sending all of its parameters and then stopping that flow of messages when it's done. It's a bug on the Solo side, and it's fixed in the Green Cube.

FWIW: As of about 10 versions ago, Solex always requests parameters from anything connecting to it. It needs to do that so it can tell what hardware the Solo is running on, AP version, etc. This is so it can get the battery ID from Green Cube Solos, know what type of Geofence it can use with the connected vehicle (old-style on stock Solo or Poly Fence on Green Cube), and other features. I'm also expanding Solex to work with more than just the Solo. So a future version of it will be able to identify the connected vehicle and alter the way the UI works to accommodate that specific vehicle. Hope this helps clarify things.

Thanks,
Kelly

Thanks Kelly... so if my birds never cease to send information (ever) and solex can't fix it (and yes I always have video feed issues) is there any chance a factory reset could produce a different result? Or is this just a hardware issue I have to live with?

Or should I try another tablet? Can't remember this happening on my phone (many moons ago) just on the galaxy tab S2 8.0 (latest specs)

Thanks Kelly... so if my birds never cease to send information (ever) and solex can't fix it (and yes I always have video feed issues) is there any chance a factory reset could produce a different result? Or is this just a hardware issue I have to live with?

One thing you might do is just stay on the start screen when you connect for a minute or so, and see if it clears. On my stock Solo, that does the trick probably 75% of the time. If it doesn't, back out of the app and launch/reconnect. That nearly always works. If it's always doing it, a factory reset of your Solo might be in order, but that seems a bit drastic.

Reactions: Damien

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc