Hero 3+ no longer compatible with Solo Gimbal

Reaction score
Purchased the Solo with gimbal sometime ago and now just getting into using it.
I have the 3DR gimbal M/N GB10A. Its supposed to be compatible with Hero3+ and 4. Having gone round and round with 3DR and GoPro I come to find out that the hero3+ will only work if it has v2.0 software. When I purchased the camera it was already on a later version. GoPro tells me there is no way to revert to version 2.0. Anybody have any ideas as to a fix so I can at least get some practice flight before investing more money.

Purchased the Solo with gimbal sometime ago and now just getting into using it.
I have the 3DR gimbal M/N GB10A. Its supposed to be compatible with Hero3+ and 4. Having gone round and round with 3DR and GoPro I come to find out that the hero3+ will only work if it has v2.0 software. When I purchased the camera it was already on a later version. GoPro tells me there is no way to revert to version 2.0. Anybody have any ideas as to a fix so I can at least get some practice flight before investing more money.
what version is the gopro hero 3+?
if you search around on this forum and others there are copies of older software floating around...

when installed in the solo gimbal, the live feed goes to the Solo app-you need to download it and connect to the controller's wifi.

GoPro support just sent me a link to Softpedia which has the v2.0 software for download.
I have downloaded this software to the hero3+ but the camera is not updating.

Please make sure the following are done before proceeding any further.

1.Turn off WiFi on the GoPro

2. Turn on the GoPro HDMI output if it isn't already.

3. Verify that you have signal coming from the GoPro using a television

Reactions: David Boulanger
Please make sure the following are done before proceeding any further.

1.Turn off WiFi on the GoPro

2. Turn on the GoPro HDMI output if it isn't already.

3. Verify that you have signal coming from the GoPro using a television

Main problem appears to be that the camera will not do the updates from the SD card. I am getting a video feed through the Solo but only for about 5 secs the camera when cycles off for about 5 secs then repeats.
GoPro support sent me a link to v2.0 software and I loaded this onto the SD card but when the card is inserted into the camera and the camera is powered on the update does not start. So far GoPro has not be able to explain why this happens.
Thanks to everyone trying to help.

Thats true. However it is part of the system. Without a good working camera the Solo is just a good model aircraft.
Anyway I'll be checking the HDMI connections inside the Airframe next.

This sound like a problem with the Gopro . I'll check my 3+ black to see what firmware I have on it shortly. The HDMI cable inside your Solo has nothing to do with it cycling on and off or not updating firmware of its sd card.

Edit. I use 3.03.

Last edited:
I think your right about it being a camera issue. Just want to be sure before investing in another camera.

It sounds like a GP battery issue, can you confirm the battery is fully charged or functional outside of Solo. If all is good you could have a dirty or damaged hero port, to either the camera or gimbal.

As to the FW, you need to place the FW files in the root directory for the camera to pick them up off the SD.

It sounds like a GP battery issue, can you confirm the battery is fully charged or functional outside of Solo. If all is good you could have a dirty or damaged hero port, to either the camera or gimbal.

As to the FW, you need to place the FW files in the root directory for the camera to pick them up off the SD.

GP battery is fully charged and have tried other battery as well. Camera works fine outside of Solo except for the update issue.
Files were placed in the root directory.
Once in a while I can hit record and get continuous feed from the solo but as I said before the camera normally only stays on for about 5 seconds when mounted in the solo gimbal.
On the bright side this is the only issue I have. The Solo itself operates very well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc