Hero 3+ no longer compatible with Solo Gimbal

If the camera overheats it will shut off. Could easily be a faulty camera sensor. If you could get access to another GP that would be helpful to trouble shooting the issue. You may just have a faulty camera.

Trying searching google about the FW, since this seems more of a camera issue - downgrade fw gopro 3+

Lower the resolution on the gopro. I had the same problem.

I didn't see if you tried the camera connected to a tv? Then I'd bypass the gimbal and hook the camera directly to the Solo 's hdmi port. If both of those things work, I'd examine the hdmi port on the gimbal and the interface between the camera and the gimbal for bad pins/ connections. If you're not careful connecting the camera to the gimbal, you can damage the connector. Its why I bought the clip from R3D that allowed me to get to the ports without removing the camera.

Startup order
1. Turn GoPro on (make sure Bluetooth is off-no blinking light).
2. Turn on Solo controller
3. Turn on Solo
4. After Solo and controller are fully booted, connect to Solo Wifi on your device
5. Open Solo app.
Note for ipad/iphone users: (Solo app should be completely closed, i.e., double click home button and swipe the app up to close it BEFORE step 5)

I really don't mean to sound harsh or anything but this sounds to be user error. Check what version firmware you have on the solo, then check what version you have on the gopro afterwards ill give you detailed instructions. 1 step at a time this will be a simple fix.

Jeff,
I have followed your suggests to the letter.
I can now get a video feed provided that I only have the HDMI cable connected. If I install the Camera into the gimbal it will only stay powered on for about 5secs then shuts down.
Thank you.
I really don't mean to sound harsh or anything but this sounds to be user error. Check what version firmware you have on the solo, then check what version you have on the gopro afterwards ill give you detailed instructions. 1 step at a time this will be a simple fix.

Tony,
I'm hoping it is user error in which case it will be an easy fix.
The Solo is running 2.4.2 and the GP is running 3.02.
Thanks

Jeff,
I have followed your suggests to the letter.
I can now get a video feed provided that I only have the HDMI cable connected. If I install the Camera into the gimbal it will only stay powered on for about 5secs then shuts down.
Thank you.
One last thing to maybe try to rule out the camera. With just the HDMI cable connected and getting a video feed charge the Gopro at the same time.

When you said earlier the camera cycles off for five seconds and then repeats did you mean the video feed does this or does the camera physically shut off and boot back up .

The camera shuts down and now it stays shut down.
Battery is fully charged.

I'm am engineer so I usually look for hardware problems rather than software. I'd also take another look at your connections to the gimbal. The hdmi cord is basically a pass thru setup but the other pins control power and other settings. I could see the control aspects of the system failing because of software's but charging is a hardware, again pass thru situation that shouldn't be affected by software. In other words, if the record button doesn't work, potentially a software issue. If there isn't a picture or the camera isn't receiving power, that sounds like a hardware problem. Have you tried removing the gimbal, inspecting the connections and reinstalling? Obviously, your next bet would be to find another go pro for comparison.

everyone has asked you about the battery but I believe you can run the camera without a battery in it.... hey, try that and see what happens.

BTW stupid question but this is a hero 3 + black edition, right? There's a hero 3+ and a hero 3+ black. I'm not sure that the Solo works with the non black version. I thought you had to have a 3 black, 4 silver or 4 black.

It's hard to understand what exactly is being done here. But if Gopro works without gimbal and just HDMI but then fails with HDMI and a usb power source charging it then it is not the gimbal or Solo.

BTW stupid question but this is a hero 3 + black edition, right? There's a hero 3+ and a hero 3+ black. I'm not sure that the Solo works with the non black version. I thought you had to have a 3 black, 4 silver or 4 black.

Dave,
I am getting good video with the gimbals hdmi cable plugged into the camera. When the camera is placed into the gimbal which then gives you the ability to control the camera through the app that's when it starts to cycle indicating, to me at least, that the gimbal is not controlling the camera correctly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dachl