Hero 3+ no longer compatible with Solo Gimbal

Dave,
I am getting good video with the gimbals hdmi cable plugged into the camera. When the camera is placed into the gimbal which then gives you the ability to control the camera through the app that's when it starts to cycle indicating, to me at least, that the gimbal is not controlling the camera correctly.
The gimbal also charges the camera and I was trying to rule out that the camera being on and charging is the problem.

Ok, I see what you mean.
I cannot actually charge the camera with the gimbal hdmi cable plugged in. I tried with no battery with camera installed in the gimbal but that doesn't work... No power to camera.

Can you plug the camera into a TV or computer monitor and have it charging at the same time your looking at the video feed. Or remove the gimbal and just use the HDMI plug and charge the camera from an outside source. This really sounds like a camera problem of some sort.

Are you sure that the cord, connector, whatever it's called is connected to the motherboard as well as the gimbal? Hey Dave, isn't it a flip up type connector? You have to watch how you route those cables during installation of the gimbal. If you installed the camera without a battery and it wasn't getting power, it's my opinion that it's disconnected or there's a short. When the camera is mounted to the gimbal it expects to receive power from the gimbal and it keeps looking for it. Hence the cycling. Does the gimbal move like it's supposed to? Up, down, etc?

Can you plug the camera into a TV or computer monitor and have it charging at the same time your looking at the video feed. Or remove the gimbal and just use the HDMI plug and charge the camera from an outside source. This really sounds like a camera problem of some sort.

Thats a good idea because if it works with an hdmi plugged in and an outside power source, the blame must rest with the gimbal or the Solo .

Yes the gimbal moves like it should.

Cool, just eliminating any possibilities. I still think it's a connection problem. I've always thought that was a weak spot and a source for potential failures. The thing is it could stem from either side. All it takes is a failure on the pin connector. If you have the standard mount, you can always run it without the gimbal. That's how I run mine with a cheap action cam. Good luck, bro!

Thats a good idea because if it works with an hdmi plugged in and an outside power source, the blame must rest with the gimbal or the Solo .
Or the bus on the back of the camera. Its best to try one thing at a time. First rule out that the camera can function properly while charging. Keep in mind this camera has had problems updating its firmware which is suspicious to begin with.

Or the bus on the back of the camera. Its best to try one thing at a time. First rule out that the camera can function properly while charging. Keep in mind this camera has had problems updating its firmware which is suspicious to begin with.

True, true... The bottom line is that this could be narrowed down in 3 secs with another camera.

BTW stupid question but this is a hero 3 + black edition, right? There's a hero 3+ and a hero 3+ black. I'm not sure that the Solo works with the non black version. I thought you had to have a 3 black, 4 silver or 4 black.
Did this (IMO not-so-stupid:^]) question ever get answered???

B/C I'm pretty sure I attempted every forum solution and failed to get my Hero 3± black Ed. Gopro to ever work with my Solo Gimbal. Video feed never worked correctly. Would glitch and freeze on pixelated green screen image in Solo app. I eventually gave up and found a 4 Black on Craigslist, which works great. I think this (Gopro Hero 4 (Black? ) is the model of Gopro the Solo (including gimbal) platform was designed around?

Would a Gopro 4 upgrade solve all woes?

Did this (IMO not-so-stupid:^]) question ever get answered???

B/C I'm pretty sure I attempted every forum solution and failed to get my Hero 3± black Ed. Gopro to ever work with my Solo Gimbal. Video feed never worked correctly. Would glitch and freeze on pixelated green screen image in Solo app. I eventually gave up and found a 4 Black on Craigslist, which works great. I think this (Gopro Hero 4 (Black? ) is the model of Gopro the Solo (including gimbal) platform was designed around?

Would a Gopro 4 upgrade solve all woes?

Yea I didn't want to go there. I used a Go Pro Hero 4 black as well.

Ok everyone thanks for all the input.
I hooked the camera up to the tv with the camera on charge and got nothing. So I'll go with the GoPro 4 black solution.
Thanks to everyone.

I have a Hero + 3 Silver and it works fine ... other than being able to control the camera from my iphone like my 4 Black ... I just hit "record" on the camera before takeoff and get good video feed throughout flight. Just an fyi

Hi guys could you check out my thread regarding video/no video feed please?

GP battery is fully charged and have tried other battery as well. Camera works fine outside of Solo except for the update issue.
Files were placed in the root directory.
Once in a while I can hit record and get continuous feed from the solo but as I said before the camera normally only stays on for about 5 seconds when mounted in the solo gimbal.
On the bright side this is the only issue I have. The Solo itself operates very well.

I just got in a GoPro Hero 3 White and it seems to work ok with the gimbal but sometimes it is real finicky starting video from the camera to my Nexus.
You want to make sure that the "One Button" is set to ON which enables video record when the camera is switched on before flying the Solo. I had
the camera working and messed with the settings and messed up some setting and went through that darn menu system which is a pain to make
adjustments. The problem setting had to do with "1080p 30/25" setting so I regressed the setting to "960p 30/25" setting and that cured a problem with
the flashing of the FPV screen on the Nexus7. The video resolution on the app in the 3dr program was set to "Other" since the camera was not listed
in the menus. I am not very impressed with the GoPro cameras and think that 3dr should have made that gimbal more flexible for other cameras.
I was using a GitUp Git1 on the gimbal and it had problems with turning off the video recording while in flight and found a way around that problem
with camera settings. The biggest problem was getting the camera balanced in the gimbal since it was lighter than a GoPro and had to be shimmed
away from the Hero socket plus a supporting strap added to hold the camera in the gimbal mount.

The problem I see with the GoPro cameras is what has to be done to get video and images off of them by pulling the MicroSD card or using a USB
cable to connect to the camera. Problems will eventually show up with the repeated disconnecting and connecting of the HDMI cable from the
camera. Removing the camera to get to the MicroSD card or jacking into the USB port for access to the videos and images is not the way this
should be done. With the GitUp Git1 the MicroSD card can be removed and replaced with removing the camera from the gimbal. I might add,
always start the camera recording after initialization of the Solo and Android device. If there is another way of pulling video off of the camera
I'd like to know otherwise video feed (FPV) from the GoPro is real good on the Nexus7.

Hey guys,
just to confirm earlier speculations about which Heros work with the Gimbal:

My GoPro Hero 3 silver (not 3+) works absolutely fine. Recording and live feed!
I just have to turn on and record manually before/after flight as expected!

Ciao

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo