Here's A Gimbal Problem I Haven't Heard About YET

Maybe I missed this before but what model GoPro and tablet are you using?
Hi Maddog its a Hero 4 Black and the Display is a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4, I also tried an Ipad air to see if it was the Android but the Ipad showed a Problem and went into a Help area associated with Video... I am a Technical Type being in the TV business for 40 odd years OK? All of the functions on the Gimbal are working remote Cam Record On/Off working to me its the video path something has failed or a dry solder joint or an open circuit.

Installed gimbal last week. Had problems with GoPro, but got that fixed. Took the battery tray out to make sure no problem with cable routing, proper clearance, etc. Gimbal worked perfectly until this evening. I wanted to take it for a quick test flight in anticipation of tomorrow, which was supposed to have been the first time out to do something "real."

As soon as it launched the gimbal was moving on its own, flopping down, the green gimbal status light changing from green to red and back.

The only thing I could do was take the gimbal out to see if a cable was loose or something. Well, it was "or something...." fine powdery metal particles all inside the gimbal. Anyone else seen this?
Metal powdery residue? Sounds toxic. :eek:

Metal powdery residue? Sounds toxic. :eek:
Hi jeffrey, but the Gimbal seems to be perfectectly ok, it's doing its thing very well it's just I haven't got any vision on the tablet, it was fine before the gimbal was put in. I did see a trace of a powdery substance when I pulled the Gimbal out for checking cables and I put it down to locktite they had on the screws, but everything else seemed to be fine but no pictures .

Hi Maddog its a Hero 4 Black and the Display is a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4, I also tried an Ipad air to see if it was the Android but the Ipad showed a Problem and went into a Help area associated with Video... I am a Technical Type being in the TV business for 40 odd years OK? All of the functions on the Gimbal are working remote Cam Record On/Off working to me its the video path something has failed or a dry solder joint or an open circuit.

Wow, that's a mystery for sure. Hope it gets fixed quick!

Wow, that's a mystery for sure. Hope it gets fixed quick!
Maddog, 3DR support have come back and said its more than likely the ribbon cable that attaches to the Mini HDMI plug that goes into the GoPro, looks like I am getting a replacement, can't complain about that. I flew it yesterday just to see whether everything else was ok and it was rock steady performed beyond expectations, all other functions worked well , so I am a happy Chappy cheers.

Maddog, 3DR support have come back and said its more than likely the ribbon cable that attaches to the Mini HDMI plug that goes into the GoPro, looks like I am getting a replacement, can't complain about that. I flew it yesterday just to see whether everything else was ok and it was rock steady performed beyond expectations, all other functions worked well , so I am a happy Chappy cheers.
Ahhh- glad you're getting somewhere! Keep us posted. o_O

I've had a similiar issue. It actually was the cause for my 1st crash. the GoPro just went limp mid flight. Took a while, but it stabilized itself. While trying to land, it went limp agian. With it limping, the 1st thing to touch the ground when landing was the gimbal which threw it back in the air while still trying to land... long story short, 1st crash.

I too would like an update. I waited months for this gimbal, purchase it, and regret it the same day. smh

I've had a similiar issue. It actually was the cause for my 1st crash. the GoPro just went limp mid flight. Took a while, but it stabilized itself. While trying to land, it went limp agian. With it limping, the 1st thing to touch the ground when landing was the gimbal which threw it back in the air while still trying to land... long story short, 1st crash.

I too would like an update. I waited months for this gimbal, purchase it, and regret it the same day. smh
Sorry to hear about so did you have vision on your tablet before you flew it?
And I presume before you got the gimbal you had a vision path from the GoPro via that floating lead and plug?
Yes there isn't much ground clearance between the gimbal and Mother Earth that's why the leg extensions came out I presume.
Anyway I will keep you up to date with progress. Cheers John.

The only thing I could do was take the gimbal out to see if a cable was loose or something. Well, it was "or something...." fine powdery metal particles all inside the gimbal. Anyone else seen this?

I just had my gimbal out to tweak the wiring paths a bit, and I noticed some fine metal particles as well, but they were directly below the holes for the 3 screws that you attach the gimbal with. I inspected around the pan motor and found nothing, so I'm pretty confidant it just came from the screws. It's not uncommon to get a little metal dust from a metal/metal screw/bolt.

I just had my gimbal out to tweak the wiring paths a bit, and I noticed some fine metal particles as well, but they were directly below the holes for the 3 screws that you attach the gimbal with. I inspected around the pan motor and found nothing, so I'm pretty confidant it just came from the screws. It's not uncommon to get a little metal dust from a metal/metal screw/bolt.
Yes I had the same thing , they use a dob of lock tight on the screws and I think when you take them out it leaves this powder I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Sorry to hear about so did you have vision on your tablet before you flew it?
And I presume before you got the gimbal you had a vision path from the GoPro via that floating lead and plug?
Yes there isn't much ground clearance between the gimbal and Mother Earth that's why the leg extensions came out I presume.
Anyway I will keep you up to date with progress. Cheers John.

Vision? Do you mean the video feed from the GoPro?

Yes, I always have the feed on. I use a S4 to display.

I can concur with John Hill, out flying today (in Australia) I took off facing south on 3 batteries, as this just happens to be my preferred direction at this flying site, and no problems whatsoever. I didnt know the facing north thing was such a big deal, and yes I have the gimbal fitted.
I had 12 satellites on the stock gps too, and Solo did not miss a trick.

I can concur with John Hill, out flying today (in Australia) I took off facing south on 3 batteries, as this just happens to be my preferred direction at this flying site, and no problems whatsoever. I didnt know the facing north thing was such a big deal, and yes I have the gimbal fitted.
I had 12 satellites on the stock gps too, and Solo did not miss a trick.
Maybe because you're south of the equator? Do your toilets really flush in the opposite direction of ours?o_O

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986