Here's A Gimbal Problem I Haven't Heard About YET

Reaction score
Installed gimbal last week. Had problems with GoPro, but got that fixed. Took the battery tray out to make sure no problem with cable routing, proper clearance, etc. Gimbal worked perfectly until this evening. I wanted to take it for a quick test flight in anticipation of tomorrow, which was supposed to have been the first time out to do something "real."

As soon as it launched the gimbal was moving on its own, flopping down, the green gimbal status light changing from green to red and back.

The only thing I could do was take the gimbal out to see if a cable was loose or something. Well, it was "or something...." fine powdery metal particles all inside the gimbal. Anyone else seen this?

Reactions: Projeffrey11
Ahh the fine powdery metal particles issue... With out pictures it kind of hard to follow your description...regarding location of the particles. Could be sand appearing to metal, could be mosfet exploded and left particles everywhere or an illusion....

You didn't happen to start Solo pointing South did you? That's the South pointing gimbal issue. No really it is a known issue...

Yea buddy I've had luck every single flight but one and it was directly related to pointing south when powering on my solo. It's been great since and I had the exact same things happen it moved on its own then was tilted down and eventually limp. Alls been fine since, I thought it was the android update and used my iPhone that night and it was ok even.

I know it sounds like we're going to say you got punked but it's true if you point solo south when powering up thus will happen often times until the update I point directly north. Facing north also seems to get sat lock better at least in my most used location here at home.

Hope this is all it is, good luck keep us posted how things go.

The fine metal powder can also sometimes be from the screws to take the gimbal plate on and off if they bind or possibly cross thread momentarily when you are lining it up.

Thanks for all the input. It WAS facing south when it went crazy. And I did determine the metal was from the screws. Cleaned it out, put back together and seems to be working fine. This forum is great. I appreciate everyone's help.
Glad to hear it, it's the strangest bug I've heard of but there's been plenty of things that have been like this with the launch. Plenty of things that could win strange awards for screwed up things like most screwed up launch of a product, weirdest bug in tech, worst stock antennas ever and others. Kinda Joking but has been a wild few months that I'm glads behind me now, there lucky the rest of this birds so great and makes up for all the azzhole awards they could win. Still after completing my solo I'm still a huge 3dr and solo fan and am happy I stuck it out.

AD
Fly 3dr

when i got my solo we were putting it together and doing all the calibrations and it said to have the solo pointing NORTH when doing these calibrations.

Thanks for all the input. It WAS facing south when it went crazy. And I did determine the metal was from the screws. Cleaned it out, put back together and seems to be working fine. This forum is great. I appreciate everyone's help.

Thanks for the update! Will help others having the same issues. :)

when i got my solo we were putting it together and doing all the calibrations and it said to have the solo pointing NORTH when doing these calibrations.
Yea I saw that too Dirby and I did that but it's simply powering solo on to fly when pointing south causing the issues. I had done calibrations early on facing different directions without issue but started doing them pointing north a couple months back, just to be safe.

This south bug is very odd but a reality I've actually experienced and it's kinda scary when you see it after waiting all this time. I'd hate to send off any part of my setup now to get it back eventually.

Yea I saw that too Dirby and I did that but it's simply powering solo on to fly when pointing south causing the issues. I had done calibrations early on facing different directions without issue but started doing them pointing north a couple months back, just to be safe.

This south bug is very odd but a reality I've actually experienced and it's kinda scary when you see it after waiting all this time. I'd hate to send off any part of my setup now to get it back eventually.

I can confirm also that pointing north is the way we have to do it for now..or at least it looks like I have to..

I was out this morning first time flying with the Gimbal after installing it and flew 3 battery's to test everything out!

First battery.. pointed north ..powered up..Took off..everything went well.. Gimbal performed Great and all the buttons on the controller!
Did notice a difrence on the battery life is shorten because of the Gimbla!

Second Battery...Powered up.. Display came on the controller to update the GoPro to the newest update.? I know for a fact that it's got the newest FW! So hit (dismiss) took off...then notice that my live feed from the GoPro was pointing to the ground ...Looking at my solo hovering in front of me I notice my gimbal looked dead as a duck!!
Flopped all they way down and unresponsive !
There was also A display on my controller saying gimbal not connected !
Then I realized ..I forgot to point the Solo North When I took off!!
So landed right way...pointed the Solo north..powered up Solo..gimbal came back to life but still had the displayed pop up again about the GoPro not having the newest FW? Hit ( dismiss ) again ..took off..and everything was fine!

Third Battery...pointed north..powered up...gimbal look good! But had the display pop up again about the GoPro ..hit (dismiss)...took off..everything was fine!

So overall flying with the gimbal for the first time after installation wasn't to bad!!
But yep... Point your bird North Untill 3DR comes out with a fix!!
I don't know why I was getting the GoPro not up to date FW display?
But Iv read that some other people were getting that too.
This is only happening after the Gimbal installation!
Even thoe my GoPro is up to Date! Mabe it's part of the (Pointing North) glitch ?

I was using the Ipad mimi2 with GoPro4 Silver

Del, I had the same GoPro issue a couple days ago. 1st battery no issues. 2nd battery, got the update GoPro message.
Both times powered up facing west.

iPad mini 3, GoPro 4 silver.

Reactions: Del
I can confirm also that pointing north is the way we have to do it for now..or at least it looks like I have to..

I was out this morning first time flying with the Gimbal after installing it and flew 3 battery's to test everything out!

First battery.. pointed north ..powered up..Took off..everything went well.. Gimbal performed Great and all the buttons on the controller!
Did notice a difrence on the battery life is shorten because of the Gimbla!

Second Battery...Powered up.. Display came on the controller to update the GoPro to the newest update.? I know for a fact that it's got the newest FW! So hit (dismiss) took off...then notice that my live feed from the GoPro was pointing to the ground ...Looking at my solo hovering in front of me I notice my gimbal looked dead as a duck!!
Flopped all they way down and unresponsive !
There was also A display on my controller saying gimbal not connected !
Then I realized ..I forgot to point the Solo North When I took off!!
So landed right way...pointed the Solo north..powered up Solo..gimbal came back to life but still had the displayed pop up again about the GoPro not having the newest FW? Hit ( dismiss ) again ..took off..and everything was fine!

Third Battery...pointed north..powered up...gimbal look good! But had the display pop up again about the GoPro ..hit (dismiss)...took off..everything was fine!

So overall flying with the gimbal for the first time after installation wasn't to bad!!
But yep... Point your bird North Untill 3DR comes out with a fix!!
I don't know why I was getting the GoPro not up to date FW display?
But Iv read that some other people were getting that too.
This is only happening after the Gimbal installation!
Even thoe my GoPro is up to Date! Mabe it's part of the (Pointing North) glitch ?

I was using the Ipad mimi2 with GoPro4 Silver
Hi everyone but I am in Australia Soutern Hemisphere and haven't any flying problems yet apart from no vision on tablet with Gimbal installed but I will swear I have taken off from all different degrees with no problem, I suppose I should carry a compass and check all quadrants.
Cheers,John.

Del, I had the same GoPro issue a couple days ago. 1st battery no issues. 2nd battery, got the update GoPro message.
Both times powered up facing west.

iPad mini 3, GoPro 4 silver.[/QUO
Hi everyone but I am in Australia Soutern Hemisphere and haven't any flying problems yet apart from no vision on tablet with Gimbal installed but I will swear I have taken off from all different degrees with no problem, I suppose I should carry a compass and check all quadrants.
Cheers,John.
Hey John do u have the gimbal installed in your Solo?
It seems this pointing north problem is after the gimbal installation ...
And if you do have it installed and your not having any problems taking off at any position..then I'm thinking it might be where you live in this world con pair to others I guess..

Hey John do u have the gimbal installed in your Solo?
It seems this pointing north problem is after the gimbal installation ...
And if you do have it installed and your not having any problems taking off at any position..then I'm thinking it might be where you live in this world con pair to others I guess..
I hi have installed the Gimbal but have been trying to work out the vision problem, the weather has been lousy for the last 3 days so no haven't flown with the gimbal, didn't feel I should without vision. John.

I hi have installed the Gimbal but have been trying to work out the vision problem, the weather has been lousy for the last 3 days so no haven't flown with the gimbal, didn't feel I should without vision. John.
I have just come back from flying with the Gimbal Installed but no Video Displayed on the Tablet but the Solo behaved itself perfectly took off and landed from different positions not a problem.
I was in an open area no wifi within close proximity apart from my phone in my pocket, but yes dont seem to have any problems except I cant see a bloody thing from the camera.

I have just come back from flying with the Gimbal Installed but no Video Displayed on the Tablet but the Solo behaved itself perfectly took off and landed from different positions not a problem.
I was in an open area no wifi within close proximity apart from my phone in my pocket, but yes dont seem to have any problems except I cant see a bloody thing from the camera.

Did you have video prior to the gimbal install?

Yes I did Initially no because of an update and I was in Pal not NTSC but thats fixed know so in answer to your question Yes most Defiantly.

Maybe I missed this before but what model GoPro and tablet are you using?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea