Help with Magnetic Problems

Reaction score
Hi all

So my first experience with a Best Buy return Solo (bought on Ebay) is not going well.

Resetting it was a test of patience... but I got there!

Problems with a button not responding (Which may have been resolved thanks @speatuk)

Now I'm hit with the dreaded 'magnetic interference' message. After more resets and trying to calibrate the compass in various different locations (including an open area).

I then adjusted a parameter (using Sidepilot) as some have advised, and now the message is a 'compass error' one which also requires compass calibration.

I am thinking of removing leg number four and trying the calibration routine with just the Pixhawk compass, but I'm not sure if that'll work. I'm going to try to isolate which compass is giving me grief and hope it's the easily replaced leg one.

Left a ticket with 3dr but don't expect a reply.

Gents! Please give me other tips before I give up!

It's my first drone experience and I had my heart set on a Solo, mostly because of this community.

Cheers,

Mike

SYSID_SW_MREV set to 0, then reboot. (Unless you already tried that)

Last resort, especially if you are gonna buy a new leg compass, try removing the leg compass and firmly tapping it on a semi hard surface in flat, edge-on, and end-on orientations.

Or get a HERE GPS/Compass and the cable set.

Before you go smacking your compass around. Try making sure you have the flat side, of the compass that installs in the leg, out with the fuses on the inside.

That fixed the last MI i was getting.

Percussive maintenance. Lol. Did you do the parameter reset? That will fix incorrect settings that can cause this. Do that and retry calibration.

If you've done that and you're sure it's mounted correctly, it is probably defunct.

i tried reset but to no avail...keeps getting stuck on loading Params...thinking the HERE is best option ...think i may still have issue without?

keeps attempting to load but never loads just continues trying, i am not most computer literate guy likely my own error but seems like i am doing correct actions...will try again tonight after work...but Still HERE is coming ..i like the sound of better sat reception and quicker load times

You have the connection type drop down (top right) set for UDP? And your PC connected to the Solo wifi network? Can you take a screenshot or something of what is going on. Thai needs to be rectified to make the here work too.

I did have on UDP
And connected to solo wifi.
Headed out to work in moments here will post screen shot this evening and will be on around same time tomorrow...thanks for your input pedals. Will get that screen shot asap

Percussive maintenance. Lol. Did you do the parameter reset? That will fix incorrect settings that can cause this. Do that and retry calibration.

If you've done that and you're sure it's mounted correctly, it is probably defunct.

Hey there P2P. Thanks for the reply. By parameter reset do you mean the SYSID_SW_MREV set to 0? I have tried that but without any luck. But I am learning that Solo sometimes needs a little time to get it's head around things, so I am planning to try that one more time.

If you mean anything else by the parameter reset then please let me know.

One question: do you think trying a calibration with the leg compass detached might isolate the problem? If Solo allows a single compass calibration then I might isolate which compass causes the problem.

Thanks

Mike

SYSID_SW_MREV set to 0, then reboot. (Unless you already tried that)

Last resort, especially if you are gonna buy a new leg compass, try removing the leg compass and firmly tapping it on a semi hard surface in flat, edge-on, and end-on orientations.

Or get a HERE GPS/Compass and the cable set.

I quite like the idea of the Here and was planning on probably getting a GPS upgrade but I am wary of throwing good money after bad. If the problem is in the Pixhawk then a new compass won't change much...

Yes, you change that parameter to 0, press write params to send it to the solo, and reboot. That will reset any messed up parameters back to correct defaults. Then redo the level calibration and reboot. Then redo the compass calibration and reboot. Compass calibration must be done outdoors away from buildings, vehicles, steel plates, MRI machines, and microwave ovens.

If that still doesn't work, you can try unplugging the leg compass, rebooting, and calibrating compass. If that passes, you know the leg compass is defunct.

Reactions: Maddog and Hakaman
Yes, you change that parameter to 0, press write params to send it to the solo, and reboot. That will reset any messed up parameters back to correct defaults. Then redo the level calibration and reboot. Then redo the compass calibration and reboot. Compass calibration must be done outdoors away from buildings, vehicles, steel plates, MRI machines, and microwave ovens.

If that still doesn't work, you can try unplugging the leg compass, rebooting, and calibrating compass. If that passes, you know the leg compass is defunct.

Great write up P2P. I will try all of that in that order and let you know how I go.

Thanks

Reactions: Pedals2Paddles

Dude! This might be solved. Did everything as you suggested and... nothing worked.

Then I went for the final step and disconnected the leg compass and re-calibrated: it worked!

I am stoked.

The seller has already sent me a new leg number 4 and I will install that and hopefully I'll be able to fly. A little more patience is called for (shipping takes a while here to Vancouver).

Thanks again all for the help.

HERE is on its way...from what ive read its best option available and way better than stock
Read above for what worked for me to isolate the problem to the leg compass. I don't know if the Here cuts out the need for the leg, the Pixhawk or both compasses. So it might not solve your problem if it's the Pixhawk compass.

I disconnected the leg compass from the main board (easy instructions in the Solo manual) without detaching the leg and ran the compass cal and it finally worked. This means it's the leg compass causing the problems

Good luck

Reactions: Maddog

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela