Help with distortion from my GPH4 Black

Reaction score
I am wanting to do a MOD but need some advice from the group. I don't like the distortion I get from my GPH4 Black in the distance. The curvature of the earth is exaggerated. I am wanting to MOD the lens with one of the Peau Productions lenses. There are a few options available. I want the distortion in the distance to go away but don't want to ruin the close shots. Does anyone have experience with this?

Search the forum for Peau. There have been MANY postings about their lenses. But before you throw money at them, at least TRY firmware version 5 in your GoPro, which has "Linear FOV" which eliminates the fisheye effect while filming. That's all I use and am totally happy with it. Every time I mention this, others here point out that GoPro's "Linear FOV" is done via software and therefore cannot be as crisp and clear as better glass. Although that's certainly true, it's plenty good enough for me, and might be for you too.

GoPro’s are famous for that. Like @Joe Horn mentioned, you can search through and read lots of posts here.

I think FW v5 will eliminate the ability of Solo to turn the Gopro on automatically at startup but for most people turning it on manually is no big deal.

Other than that, removing the “fisheye” in post production with image editing software is another option.

Alright, I just bought the peau 3.97 lens. Thanks guys! $80
After installing the Peau you'll experience what's called 'pink corners'

Peau offers a fix that removes the stock lens profile. You can either send your camera to them or download it and install it yourself (for a fee)

Reactions: teamjulia
I'll install it myself but I have not had time to yet because of work. Quick question, installing it myself, you said requires a fee. How much actually?

Reactions: brianuc4

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc