Reaction score
I posted already about my failed green cube installation. Here is the latest:

I installed OPEN Solo on controller and vehicle. Did 6 test flights. Seemed to go well, except for some issues with video feed which I fixed.

I followed the instructions posted on how to install green cube using Solex.
I now have Solex v1.6.7 installed. Controller and vehicle have 3.0.0 and the cube I believe was 3.5.4

After I reset Parameters and power cycled the solo, Solex would not reconnect.
I have a rapid orange light blinking on the cube and 4 green leds on the copter.
I tried plugging into cube using WinSCP and can only connect to controller (10.1.1.1). Not Solo (10.1.1.10).
I get a solid orange light when connected to vehicle
I have access to logs on controller but I am not sure which will help.

Any reasonable advice will be appreciated,
Capt Cary

What happens if you connect to cube with USB and start mission planner or QGroundcontrol?

After I reset Parameters and power cycled the solo, Solex would not reconnect.
Try to hit the pair button under the solo, you seem to have installed the firmware correctly if you got to the Reset parameter part...

From Matt's destructions

IF THE SOLO DOES NOT BOOT UP PROPERLY, DO NOT CONTINUE BEYOND THIS STEP UNTIL IT IS FIXED:

• Connect via WinSCP or Filezilla
  • Download 3dr-solo.log, boot.log, and python_stderr.log. Post them in the Facebook beta group or forum for analysis
  • Most likely, this can be fixed by hooking up to the cube via USB and using Mission Planner to load ArduCopter Firmware
  • Help and troubleshooting is again available in the Facebook beta testing group.

Last edited:
What happens if you connect to cube with USB and start mission planner or QGroundcontrol?
I second that. When I bricked mine I had to hook it up to Mission Planner via the USB cord. It has been a while but IIRC it would only connect on Mission planner if the IM6 board was disconnected from the main board.

I second that. When I bricked mine I had to hook it up to Mission Planner via the USB cord. It has been a while but IIRC it would only connect on Mission planner if the IM6 board was disconnected from the main board.

I have an very old Solo. Probably an original batch. On my copter the IM6 board is hard wired to the main board, one 3pin power cable and one ribbon cable to the 3dr bus. Do you recall if you had a connector from the IM6 to main board on your copter?

Last edited:
Did you plug directly into the cube via usb? If so are you saying you still cannot connect to Mission planner when doing this? When connecting via USB you use the appropriate com port to connect to the PixHawk via mission planner not UDP

Last edited:
So I appreciate all the input to my failed green cube installation.
I tried to install Mission Planner and was partially successful. It was still able to load firmware to green cube. I reset the Solo and had new tones and multi colored lights when a battery was installed.
When I looked at how the main board was attached to the bus board I found what looked like burnt contacts. Not good, anyone have an opinion on this?

8B39A3C0-8DD9-4B31-9214-937EE81EC925.jpeg CB67C7BD-8896-4ABE-BAB0-88C0BE63ED4F.jpeg 8B39A3C0-8DD9-4B31-9214-937EE81EC925.jpeg

Did you plug directly into the cube via usb? If so are you saying you still cannot connect to Mission planner when doing this? When connecting via USB you use the appropriate com port to connect to the PixHawk via mission planner not UDP

Yes, I directly connected via USB to Mission Planner but it will not recognize the green cube. I know this because it does not give me a port option. The drop down menu is blank.
The Mission Planner installation is stuck at #3 of 16 progress bar.

thank you for the response. I'm getting a little frustrated at this point and if you look at the pictures you will understand.
Capt Cary

22AE8A07-D525-4402-8394-176C0DFBAFFA.jpeg Risking a TMI post I will recap my issue(s). I preface this with my qualifications: I worked as a elecronic tech at a research lab for seven years and am equally adequate st PC and Mac but I do not code.
I have owned the Solo since Xmas of 2015 and have 60-70 flights.
I started using Solex app October of last year.
I installed Mro gps in January and flew successfully a couple of times. I installed Open Solo using Solex on drone and controller and test flew at a low altitude a few times before opening her up.
I took care at extracting the main board and installing green cube. I lost connection to Copter after rebooting during green cube installation.
I tried to connect via USB to green cube using WinSCP and I could only connect to controller.
I tried to install Mission Planner but am stuck at 3 of 16 on set up progress.
This morning I found burnt contacts on the main board.
Here is a photo of the main board just after installing green cube a couple weeks ago.
Once again, thanks for reading. Just want to fly again.

Reactions: Dennync
Did you see or smell the magic smoke after installing the green cube because you stated it flew great before install? To me that looks to be nothing more then sloppy soldering very common on the solo board, you seem to know enough to figure out the issue quick question when you plug in the green cube USB are you powering up the SOLO via its battery ?

Did you see or smell the magic smoke after installing the green cube because you stated it flew great before install? To me that looks to be nothing more then sloppy soldering very common on the solo board, you seem to know enough to figure out the issue quick question when you plug in the green cube USB are you powering up the SOLO via its battery ?

Did you see or smell the magic smoke after installing the green cube because you stated it flew great before install?
No smoke.

... when you plug in the green cube USB are you powering up the SOLO via its battery ?
No. I remove the battery and HDMI (gimbal) before connecting USB cable.

I appreciate the questions. I am stumped at this point. Not sure how to proceed. You may be correct about the dry solder joints. I have seen this before in my apprentice days.

Capt Cary

No. I remove the battery and HDMI (gimbal) before connecting USB cable.
That's not good you should be able to see the cube in mission planner via USB only, I'm just reaching here but try to reinstall Mission planner perhaps a driver issue? You are approaching this correctly one thing is to make sure the green cube is seated correctly I've heard of this issue in the past, I'm sure you will get it sorted good luck..

Usually when the mainboard has voltage issues/shorts it will not even try to boot and shut down with a noticeable click..

Last edited:
I have an very old Solo. Probably an original batch. On my copter the IM6 board is hard wired to the main board, one 3pin power cable and one ribbon cable to the 3dr bus. Do you recall if you had a connector from the IM6 to main board on your copter?
On mine it is simply a a daughter board plugged into the main board with pins. This board contains the SD card. When I did it I just unplugged the HDMI cable coming from the gimbal and pulled the board away from the main board.

I was never able to get it to work when the green cube was plugged into mission planner stand-alone but it would work if the GC was mounted to the main board, unpowered, and with the daughter board pulled out from the main board.

On mine it is simply a a daughter board plugged into the main board with pins. This board contains the SD card. When I did it I just unplugged the HDMI cable coming from the gimbal and pulled the board away from the main board.

I was never able to get it to work when the green cube was plugged into mission planner stand-alone but it would work if the GC was mounted to the main board, unpowered, and with the daughter board pulled out from the main board.

Thank you NightStorm,
I disconnected the wifi card bus from the mainboard and Mission Planner did load the firmware but I was unable to recalibrate all the functions in Solo.
Now, when I try to connect, the Solo has a loud rapid beeping, (5 beeps, I believe) stop, then more rapid beeping. I switched batteries and still have the same issue. It's probably mad because I was not able to do the calibrations.
I am just trying to get it to connect so I can reload the Open Solo and parameters.
Anyone else have any input?

40 hours into trying to load OPEN SOLO.........

Thank you NightStorm,
I disconnected the wifi card bus from the mainboard and Mission Planner did load the firmware but I was unable to recalibrate all the functions in Solo.
Now, when I try to connect, the Solo has a loud rapid beeping, (5 beeps, I believe) stop, then more rapid beeping. I switched batteries and still have the same issue. It's probably mad because I was not able to do the calibrations.
I am just trying to get it to connect so I can reload the Open Solo and parameters.

The reason its beeping is the Solo params are not loaded you are almost there let me see what I can dig up, where is Paddles? Vacation?

The reason its beeping is the Solo params are not loaded you are almost there let me see what I can dig up, where is Paddles? Vacation?

Thanks for the response.
Just tried to connect to Mission Planner and the taskbar shows it has not fully loaded the firmware. I am done for today. I will try again tomorrow.
brain break,
C-.

Reactions: XevetS
Thank you NightStorm,

Sorry, been distracted.
Not that it matters as I don't know what to tell you.
Frustrating, I am sure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig