HDMI Passthrough with Gimbal Issue

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster!

Hoping that someone may have experienced this before and has a fix that can help me out. Did a bunch of searches but didn't turn up anything very helpful. So... Just got my Gimbal last week (yeah!). Installed it fairly easily - but now when I open up the mobile app I get a message saying to check the connection of the HDMI cable and I have no live video feed from the GoPro to my app.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the gimbal roughly 10 times and I continue to get the same message. I've gone through all the troubleshooting steps here: Troubleshooting | 3DR | Drone & UAV Technology I've updated both my GoPro Hero 4 Silver and my solo to he latest firmware.

And I even removed the gimbal an tried connecting the GoPro directly to the HDMI cable again and it worked fine. I'm thinking I may have received a defective gimbal - but wanted to see if there are others who have experienced this and if they found a solution that perhaps I'm not thinking of.

Thanks!

what tablet are you using? After getting gimbal and updating I had the same problem. I was using an ipad mini 2. What is weird is it works with my iphone and samsung tab s, but with ipad. I get the same error, contacted 3DR said they will look into it.

When you put the gopro in the gimbal you still have to hold the button on the gopro front to power it on even if it is showing a record button already in the app.

what tablet are you using? After getting gimbal and updating I had the same problem. I was using an ipad mini 2. What is weird is it works with my iphone and samsung tab s, but with ipad. I get the same error, contacted 3DR said they will look into it.

I'm using my iPhone 6 - so not sure if it has something to do with that.

When you put the gopro in the gimbal you still have to hold the button on the gopro front to power it on even if it is showing a record button already in the app.

Thanks - I did turn it on - but still no luck

Based on the troubleshooting you have already [reformed. It is going to either be a defective solo Gimbal Hero Bus cable/connector , or the Hero Bus on your GoPro is bad. If you have access to another GoPro I would try that to see which one is bad.

I went through all of this with tech support the day I tried to install gimbal, end of the conversation they advised RMA, I took them up on it. When I uninstalled the gimbal and put static mount back on, still no video. Copter when back to its home with tail between legs as well.

Based on the troubleshooting you have already [reformed. It is going to either be a defective solo Gimbal Hero Bus cable/connector , or the Hero Bus on your GoPro is bad. If you have access to another GoPro I would try that to see which one is bad.
Yeah - I think it is the gimbal because when I remove the Gimbal - the HDMI works with the GoPro when it's not going through the Gimbal

I went through all of this with tech support the day I tried to install gimbal, end of the conversation they advised RMA, I took them up on it. When I uninstalled the gimbal and put static mount back on, still no video. Copter when back to its home with tail between legs as well.

I'm thinking this it probably the route I'm going to end up having to go. Another delay in getting quality video shot using my Solo...

I don't have a gimbal yet, but I have battled the same issue since day one.
Using iPad mini 3 wi-fi/ cellular, GoPro 4+ silver.
Sometimes I had a video feed, sometimes not.
Tech support gave me a list of what order to turn things on- works sometimes, sometimes not.
Also, I still can't get a satellite map view in the 1/3rd view- only in full screen can I see the map. Anybody else have that problem?

Hoping that someone may have experienced this before and has a fix that can help me out. Did a bunch of searches but didn't turn up anything very helpful. So... Just got my Gimbal last week (yeah!). Installed it fairly easily - but now when I open up the mobile app I get a message saying to check the connection of the HDMI cable and I have no live video feed from the GoPro to my app.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the gimbal roughly 10 times and I continue to get the same message. I've gone through all the troubleshooting steps here: Troubleshooting | 3DR | Drone & UAV Technology I've updated both my GoPro Hero 4 Silver and my solo to he latest firmware.

And I even removed the gimbal an tried connecting the GoPro directly to the HDMI cable again and it worked fine. I'm thinking I may have received a defective gimbal - but wanted to see if there are others who have experienced this and if they found a solution that perhaps I'm not thinking of.

Thanks!
Try hooking the gopro up without docking it into the gimbal. Just support it yourself while it levels out. The HDMI connection on the side of the gimbal is straight passthru so if you get feed there, then something else is wrong.
Hero bus does not affect the HDMI passthru, hero bus is used to change gopro settings that aren't even enabled yet. If the solo and gopro aren't communicating right through the hero bus, ie gopro is freezing, then yes the video won't work either.

Interesting Idea, thank you for your post! Gonna try that next, never thought about doing that way.

I am having live video issues as well. It will flicker and horizontal loop like an old tv. Then at times turn to an all green hue or just blink and go black or freeze while flying. This does not happen all the time but seems to be happening more after the last software update. Thoughts? Do external wifi signals interfere with the video signal or perhaps some interference with the gimbal wires? It's very annoying. I do not have my GoPro wifi on. I've tested on both iPad mini and iPad Air with same results.

Reactions: Mr_Chris

Thanks!
Have got the identical problem its currently in the hands of 3DR used both android and IOS same answer, the techo said he thinks its in the ribbon cable that runs from the Hero's HDMI feed. Did you have vision from the solo itself using the floating lead with the right angled HDMI Plug? John.

Finnaly got my Gimbal today from BB Canada and im in the same boat
No video output on the apps if Gimbal is used on Hero4 B
But i got video feed if i use HDMI cable as previous setup

Man im desapointed

Finnaly got my Gimbal today from BB Canada and im in the same boat
No video output on the apps if Gimbal is used on Hero4 B
But i got video feed if i use HDMI cable as previous setup

Man im disapointed
Hi There,
I wouldn't be surprised to see this is a batch issue, yes I feel for you after waiting so long and then to have no vision is a big Disappointment. Well I got on to 3DR and started a ticket and after some communication and checks they admitted a possible fault with the Ribbon cable in the feed to the Camera, my Gimbal has gone back, they initiated all the FEDEX details including labels (bear in mind I am in regional Australia) all I had to do was contact the local agent who deals with Fedex, bingo all happened within one day.
I presume everything else is working can you remote start/ stop the Camera? and the pan works have you flown it to make sure all the stability side of things is working?, cause she is one stable ship the vision i got is amazing it could have been a still shot.
That's about all I can suggest, I am disappointed on one hand, but happy about 3DR's Service on the other that's pretty good going and the Communication with them has been fantastic, these things are made in china and maintaining a good quality control must be hard, and trying to keep your customers happy at the same time, I am glad I am not doing it I have had my ulcers.
Good Luck,
John.

Well im happy with 3DR customers service

And yes remote start/stop the Camera and the pan works
but no Cigar :)

i start a RMA ticket with thems will see theys told me 2 weeks for replacement

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member