HDMI Passthrough with Gimbal Issue

J
Well that's interesting...those pins are hard to see..specially at my age..but it looks like I only have 17 on mine...?
So I don't know what to think..? Or did they drop pins is the question?
Or am I missing a couple..? But either way..my gimbal so far is working fine with no problems...
well they may have dropped pins but they can't change the configuration because that is a standard and it wouldn't make sense to make a special connector because it has to fit whatever GoPro fits.
Yes they are small I used two magnifying glasses to look at it, my bet is the ribbon cable is the fault area, they use that type of cable where there is movement like the old flip phones.

Long time lurker, first time poster!

Hoping that someone may have experienced this before and has a fix that can help me out. Did a bunch of searches but didn't turn up anything very helpful. So... Just got my Gimbal last week (yeah!). Installed it fairly easily - but now when I open up the mobile app I get a message saying to check the connection of the HDMI cable and I have no live video feed from the GoPro to my app.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the gimbal roughly 10 times and I continue to get the same message. I've gone through all the troubleshooting steps here: Troubleshooting | 3DR | Drone & UAV Technology I've updated both my GoPro Hero 4 Silver and my solo to he latest firmware.

And I even removed the gimbal an tried connecting the GoPro directly to the HDMI cable again and it worked fine. I'm thinking I may have received a defective gimbal - but wanted to see if there are others who have experienced this and if they found a solution that perhaps I'm not thinking of.

Thanks!
Hello all,

This is my first post first wanted to say thank you for all the great information on the forum. I received my Solo for Christmas. I must say I am impressed by this machine even more now that I have my hand on and flying it. I ordered a gimbal from Amazon and installed it . I am getting no video feed from the gimbal. The pan and record work as advertised. I called 3dr support and troubleshoot down to a bad gimbal. So naturally I contacted Amazon to ship another out to me. I received my new gimbal and would you have guessed this one is producing the same results. Once again I contacted 3DR support and did more trouble shooting. The tech said I have another bad gimbal. For a list of trouble shooting my go pro silver 4 has the latest firmwear as does the controller and Solo, and yes the Android app is updated. It works perfectly directly plugged in to the camera from the Solo. But not from Gimbal. What are the chances I get two gimbal in-operatable. Has anyone had similar issues besides the thread I am posting to. Thanks

Hello all,

This is my first post first wanted to say thank you for all the great information on the forum. I received my Solo for Christmas. I must say I am impressed by this machine even more now that I have my hand on and flying it. I ordered a gimbal from Amazon and installed it . I am getting no video feed from the gimbal. The pan and record work as advertised. I called 3dr support and troubleshoot down to a bad gimbal. So naturally I contacted Amazon to ship another out to me. I received my new gimbal and would you have guessed this one is producing the same results. Once again I contacted 3DR support and did more trouble shooting. The tech said I have another bad gimbal. For a list of trouble shooting my go pro silver 4 has the latest firmwear as does the controller and Solo, and yes the Android app is updated. It works perfectly directly plugged in to the camera from the Solo. But not from Gimbal. What are the chances I get two gimbal in-operatable. Has anyone had similar issues besides the thread I am posting to. Thanks
The chances are low that you got two bad gimbals. Make sure the GoPro is firmly seated in the gimbal. Check that the GoPro is updated to the latest firmware. Check to see if the HDMI out on the GoPro works when connected directly to a TV. Borrow someone else's GoPro (or buy a new one at bestbuy - you have 15 day to return it) and test with that.

Have you plugged your gopro into the HDMI lead coming from solo prior going into the Gimbal and have you got Vision there??? if you have which was my problem, yes indeed its a Gimbal issue, but I would agree with Erik the chances of two having the same issue is ODD not saying it cant be though, all the best.

Have you plugged your gopro into the HDMI lead coming from solo prior going into the Gimbal and have you got Vision there??? if you have which was my problem, yes indeed its a Gimbal issue, but I would agree with Erik the chances of two having the same issue is ODD not saying it cant be though, all the best.

Yes I have plugged directly to the Solo HDMI and got video. I will be receiving yet another gimbal today and installing. Hopefully third time is the charm.

Update of the gimbal saga. I received another gimbal, and would you have guessed it still no live view. So I borrowed a Gopro 4 silver and installed no live view. I also changed my phone to an IOS Ipad, still no live view. I then utilized a Galaxy tab still no live view. But some how I have live view directly plugging Gopro to HDMI of the Solo. With all that, 3DR asked me to send my Gopro, third gimbal, and Solo back to 3DR. Now, I am having to wait for my Solo to get inspected and possibly a resolution. I am to say the least very frustrated. Has anyone had to send there Solo back to 3DR? Did they repair and send any extras back to you? (ie: battery, props, ect.)

Just thought i would chime in and say i have the same issue. Out of the box with the gopro frame mount and hdmi cable everything works perfectly. Once i use the gimble i can pan up and down, start and stop recording but no video on my samsung galaxy s5. Ive raised a ticket with 3dr.

Oh dear, nothing's changed after all this time, I had exactly the same issue on one of the first machines in Australia, I sent the gimbal back and waited 3 months for a replacement, good luck, all though I have been told things have improved.
Cheers, John.

Just thought i would chime in and say i have the same issue. Out of the box with the gopro frame mount and hdmi cable everything works perfectly. Once i use the gimble i can pan up and down, start and stop recording but no video on my samsung galaxy s5. Ive raised a ticket with 3dr.
Did you update your GoPro firmware? And did you update your solo and gimbal?

Most of these live feed issues end up being caused when folks don't update their GoPro firmware.

Yeah had to manually download the latest gopro hero 4 silver update and install it but unfortunately that didnt fix it. Based on what ive read on this forum my solo, controller and gimbal are running the latest version.

Was considering a factory reset, what are people's thoughts on that?

I am having live video issues as well. It will flicker and horizontal loop like an old tv. Then at times turn to an all green hue or just blink and go black or freeze while flying. This does not happen all the time but seems to be happening more after the last software update. Thoughts? Do external wifi signals interfere with the video signal or perhaps some interference with the gimbal wires? It's very annoying. I do not have my GoPro wifi on. I've tested on both iPad mini and iPad Air with same results.

+1 my gopro is behaving identically. Anyone else?

Below is a GoPro check list for live-feed issues.
Based on some of the comments above, I suspect that a lot of you might have luck if you do number 5.
  1. Update GoPro firmware.
  2. Update Solo app and Solo/Controller firmware.
  3. Now double check that you really did update the GoPro firmware.
  4. Make sure GoPro is firmly seated into back connector on gimbal, and make sure HDMI cable is firmly plugged in.
  5. Try changing camera type in the Solo app to a different model, and then back to the correct model.
  6. Turn everything off, then power up GoPro first, then Solo, then Controller, then connect tablet/phone to Solo wifi, then launch Solo app.
  7. Test GoPro HDMI out on a TV (requires cable)
  8. Borrow another GoPro and test it in your Solo. (but make sure it's firmware is up to date!)
  9. Send support ticket to 3DR

Reactions: Maddog
Hero 4 latest version is still dated July 2015... before I bought mine. :)

Hero 4 latest version is still dated July 2015... before I bought mine. :)
Yup. That's around the time of the last GoPro firmware update. But just because you bought it after the firmware update was released doesn't mean it has the latest firmware installed. It could have been sitting in a warehouse for months. If you have a Hero 4 Black, it should show you the firmware version (briefly) when you turn it on. It's also easy to check for a firmware update using the GoPro app, or when you connect your GoPro to a computer.

http://gopro.com/help/articles/How_To/Software-Update-Instructions-for-HERO4-Cameras

Yeah had to manually download the latest gopro hero 4 silver update and install it but unfortunately that didnt fix it. Based on what ive read on this forum my solo, controller and gimbal are running the latest version.

Was considering a factory reset, what are people's thoughts on that?
Hi Marty- welcome to the forum!

I've never done a factory reset but I know it's recommended you have 3DR on the phone when you do so. I guess so they can talk you through if any "issues" come up when doing the reset.

Took the gimbal back to Harvey norman today (where i bought it from) and got them to do an exchange. Got home and installed it and hey preto everything is working! Guessing there may have been a batch of faulty gimbals.

Reactions: Mr_Chris
It happens Marty there must be something with very close tolerances that just makes it or doesn't, Last Year mine was the same but I had my Solo a good month before i got the Gimbal stuck it in and no vision got an exchange and its been faultless since and I would say yours must be fairly recent wheras mine was apart of the big delay last year, but a great machine all grissles aside.

Took the gimbal back to Harvey norman today (where i bought it from) and got them to do an exchange. Got home and installed it and hey preto everything is working! Guessing there may have been a batch of faulty gimbals.
Man, I was just whinging about this in another thread. Might do the same.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado