GoPro not Staying Powered On in Gimbal

Reaction score
Hello, I purchased the Solo drone with a gimabl during Black Friday and went out for my first flight today. The drone flies great, the gimbal keeps my GoPro steady, except the GoPro won't stay on for more than 5 seconds. I have a GoPro Hero 3+ Silver (which now reading seems to have issues with the gimbal) with firmare v3.02 on it. If I plug the HDMI in when the GoPro is not in the gimbal I get live video no issue. When I put the GoPro in the gimbal the camera will shut off after a few seconds. I am able to turn the GoPro on in the gimbal, see video for a few seconds and then it will shut down. I really don't care about controlling the camera settings while in the gimbal and just want to be able to use it to keep things steady. Has anyone dealt with this or have any thoughts? I am considering exchanging just the gimbal to see if the gimbal is the issue. Thanks!

The questions is:
What are the prerequisites for your GoPro Hero 3+ Silver to work with your new Solo?

GoPro Hero 3+ does work with Solo, many Members have the same setup as you.

Please confirm Updates performed & tell us the updated version "GoPro & Solo"

I'm sure someone with the same setup as you will chime in soon, but may ask the same questions, so get info ready.

Welcome To 3DRPlilots

Hello, what do you mean by prerequisites? Only thing I want is my GoPro to stay on in the gimbal.

Here is my info:
Camera - GoPro Hero 3+ Silver v3.10.03.02 (version changed after factory reset)
App - 2.4.0
Solo - 2.4.2
Autopilot - 1.3.1
Gimabl - NA (no number in app)

I performed a factory reset of the Solo, controller and GoPro. I uninstalled the app from my phone and redownloaded since my first post. Solo and controller were paired and updated. I updated the Solo/controller with the gimbal uninstalled, shut everything down, installed gimbal, and continued to have issue where the GoPro will shut down once installed in the gimbal.

Reactions: lperry3
The first time I set up the solo I updated it with the gimbal installed, second time without. Went to Best Buy and got a brand new gimbal. I setup the Solo with the gimbal installed. I now have the following:
Solo - 2.4.2
Autopilot - 1.3.1
Gimbal - 1.3.6
Controller - 2.4.2
Controller firmware - 1.2.11

I am still having the same issue. When the GoPro is put in the gimbal it shows the initial startup screen then shuts off. I have full control over the gimbal with the controller

Man I thought I was the only one with GoPro shutting off. I have a GoPro hero 4 black, a few week ago I took it to a lake and let it rip, my GoPro kept shutting off after 5 minute.. not sure why.. I have post a thread here asking if the GoPro have to be charge. They mention the GoPro have to be charge. Have not confirm that myself yet..

The solo powers the GoPro directly. The GoPro's battery is irrelevant other than a backup. The solo does not charge the GoPro battery, and the GoPro batter does not discharge so long as the solo is on powering it. You can run the GoPro without a battery at all and it will still work in the Solo.

I am in the EXACT same boat ... I will be returning to bestbuy within the 15 day return period if i can not at the very least get video feed with my hero 3+ silver. I am not spending $400 on a hero 4 black when my hero 3+ silver works just fine for every other purpose i have it for.

Reactions: brianuc4
Bit the bullet and found a new old stock Hero 3+ Black for $179.99 shipped on ebay and sold my mint gopro hero 3+ silver to my buddy for $160 so only $20 out of pocket and ended up solving my issue as well as upgrading my gopro

so I have a Hero3+ Silver and I have tried everything mentioned in this thread and others and still my camera shuts down after 3 seconds.....without fail.

is the solution a Black?

so I have a Hero3+ Silver and I have tried everything mentioned in this thread and others and still my camera shuts down after 3 seconds.....without fail.

is the solution a Black?

Yes you will need to update to the 3+black or any of the 4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey! the other solution is to downgrade the 3+ silver to the v2 software. This will let the GoPro stay on during flight. You will get video feed but be unable to control the GoPro so you have to start recording before you take off and stop when you land.

I ended up doing what someone above said. Bought a 3+ black and sole my 3+ silver and was only down like $30 after eBay fees

Reactions: SARDG
All the advertising list the hero 3+ as a compatible camera but it does not show up in the app as a camera option.
Mine cycles on and off too and have camera feed.

I continue to have problems just getting fpv in the fixed stock GoPro mount.
Sometimes it works and other times not whether I use my iphone6 or the att zte tablet.

Then often after I connect the GoPro it will not start recording when I manually hit the record button. It's like the GoPro just freezes up.

Please help. I have a fleet of refurb solos and not sure what I'm doing wrong. All firmware is up to date on both solo and hero four black. Grrrr

Blue skies

I have the same issue, Solo from Best Buy with new gimbal,, disabled my Hero 4 Silver. So I bought a Hero 4 Black, it dose the same camera stops after seconds, have to reset camera defalts several times afterwards to even get the gopro menu to stay on more than 15 seconds. Made test flight last night woked. Then drive to the mountains today with 3 charged batteries, freezing cold trying to make the dumb drone fiction properly, go Pro kept turning off. Now Sun going down and I wasted another trip to the mountains. Nobody every gives a valid fix. These devices don't funtion together. My gopro has sufficient battery to record 10 flights, Solo has no need to take over the gopro just monitor is all it needs. Solo is damaging any gopro I connect. They say they sending me an HDMI cable, but that doesn't solve anything. My fist solo self destructed its power supply so I bought a brand new Solo, and have the exact same issues as the first even without the gimbal. So the global is going back on warranty but I still have a two week old 3 flight Solo that beats up its GoPro and makes life fighting Solo hell.

Hello, I purchased the Solo drone with a gimabl during Black Friday and went out for my first flight today. The drone flies great, the gimbal keeps my GoPro steady, except the GoPro won't stay on for more than 5 seconds. I have a GoPro Hero 3+ Silver (which now reading seems to have issues with the gimbal) with firmare v3.02 on it. If I plug the HDMI in when the GoPro is not in the gimbal I get live video no issue. When I put the GoPro in the gimbal the camera will shut off after a few seconds. I am able to turn the GoPro on in the gimbal, see video for a few seconds and then it will shut down. I really don't care about controlling the camera settings while in the gimbal and just want to be able to use it to keep things steady. Has anyone dealt with this or have any thoughts? I am considering exchanging just the gimbal to see if the gimbal is the issue. Thanks!
There is plenty of info on this. You must revert to firmware 2.0 on the gopro 3+. It will then act normally. You must turn on camera manually and start recording manually.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo