Gopro Hero 3 silver firmware

Reaction score
Hello this is my first post because my rather new solo is giving me some problems. When I first got it my gopro would connect to live video feed if I messed with it a little, but now no feed at all. it works without gimbal but not with the gimbal, I even tried a new gimbal. I would like to try old firmware but can't find it anywhere. Does anyone here have older firmware for Hero 3 silver or a link? and help would be much appreciated.

I have to turn my drone on and once it is ready to fly I have to turn the go pro off and on and close and reopen the video feed 'not the app'
I have the hero 3 black and the only way I can record is just by pressing the button on the go pro before flight

See this thread. You can also search this forum with "GoPro Silver+" and get more suggestions. Be sure the connector on the side of the GoPro is completely seated (inserted). If no video feed, check the connector first. Happened to me a number of times.

You folks need to remember that the Solo gimbal was designed to work with the GoPro Hero 3+ Black, and the 4 Silver and 4 Black. Anything below the 3+ Black may give you video feed, but little or no camera control. It would be useless to try older firmware, since the gimbal wasn't designed for cameras older than the 3+ Black. Also remember that GoPro will not be issuing anymore updates for the 3 series cameras. I have a 3+ Black, and it works fine except that I have to power on the camera before Solo. Good luck......

Reactions: SARDG
You folks need to remember that the Solo gimbal was designed to work with the GoPro Hero 3+ Black, and the 4 Silver and 4 Black. Anything below the 3+ Black may give you video feed, but little or no camera control. It would be useless to try older firmware, since the gimbal wasn't designed for cameras older than the 3+ Black. Also remember that GoPro will not be issuing anymore updates for the 3 series cameras. I have a 3+ Black, and it works fine except that I have to power on the camera before Solo. Good luck......

same problem here but my 3+ just keeps turning on and off and on and off - duh
Is there some way u can control the camera like manually so that when u plug it into the gimbel it just keeps recording?

Being a 74 year old jackleg and addicted to drones for 6 months, I came up with this solution. I have read all the threads and cant get affirmative answers. I have a Traxxas aton which is great and fun too fly for tricks, but it wont do all the solo will do. and furthermore the Solo is not much good unless you can take videos.
I made a foam spacer to put in the camera mount just thick enough so the cp would not go into the gimbel socket but u could still connect the usb. Stqart the camera recording and mount the camera and take off. gimbel still works, camera charges and u get pics.
Go ahead and laugh- u wont hurt my feelings. Your comments are welcome good or bad.
Bill

Reactions: mudbeast66
I'm supper excited about my Solo. I did a couple flights and it meets beyond my expectations.
I purchased the hero 3 black from Ebay, and picked up an open box gimbal from Best Buy today. Got it installed correctly. I have live feed, and the camera tilts as expected, but no controls for still pictures and video using the gimbal.

My question however per the 3DR boxing stated it would support the hero 3. I should have done some more research (ie. this site) to be certain. As such, the question I have is, the only way to be certain that the go pro is recording, is to turn on and off before flight correct? If this is correct, you can only video, and not take pictures unless I upgrade the cam to a 3+, or 4. My final question is if I upgrade the Go Pro, can I save pictures, and videos to my android device during flight, or is it all saved to the SD card? Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

Love My Solo,
Dr. L. Lucas

Welcome aboard!
... the question I have is, the only way to be certain that the go pro [3 black] is recording, is to turn on and off before flight correct?

Correct. The 3B can't be controlled by the Solo app in flight.
If this is correct, you can only video, and not take pictures unless I upgrade the cam to a 3+, or 4.

Correct. If you get a 3+, be sure it's a 3+ Black.
My final question is if I upgrade the Go Pro [to a 3+B or 4], can I save pictures, and videos to my android device during flight, or is it all saved to the SD card?

The live video feed (which you can save on your mobile device) is a lower-resolution image than the video which gets saved on the GoPro's SD card. So YES you can save the live feed on your phone or tablet, but it'll look awful compared to the high-res video on the SD card. Also the video feed is prone to hiccups because of momentary dropouts in the connection between the controller and Solo, but the video on the SD card will be unaffected by that.

Reactions: drluc20004
U right. Minimum to work right is 4 silver. Sent 3+ back and for 60 more got 4 silver. Works like a charm.
Bill

Reactions: drluc20004
Cool cool. Awesome feed back. Thanks a lot. I'm now in the market to purchase Go pro 4, as it seem like the best to have for the 3DR Solo drone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig