GoPro Control

Reaction score
I've looked everywhere and can't find any definitive instructions on accessing the available controls for the GoPro. I'm sure I'm missing it someplace, but not having any luck. I see the section on the 3DR site, but it's very brief in regards to using the paddles on the controller to start and stop the recording, but as far as the other things you can do, I can't find the documentation. If someone can point me to some instructions, I'd be very appreciative.

I've looked everywhere and can't find any definitive instructions on accessing the available controls for the GoPro. I'm sure I'm missing it someplace, but not having any luck. I see the section on the 3DR site, but it's very brief in regards to using the paddles on the controller to start and stop the recording, but as far as the other things you can do, I can't find the documentation. If someone can point me to some instructions, I'd be very appreciative.
Right now all you can do is start and stop recording using the red button in the Solo app.

They are adding the ability to change GoPro settings, etc. We might even get that functionality this month.

Right now all you can do is start and stop recording using the red button in the Solo app.

They are adding the ability to change GoPro settings, etc. We might even get that functionality this month.

You mentioned maybe this month but did 3DR make an announcement on this. I have been trying to get what features are currently supported and I don't get a straight answer.

I went to the field today and got a big surprise as my GoPro battery was dead within the first few minutes of flight. Now I know the gimbal is not supplying power to the GoPro.

You mentioned maybe this month but did 3DR make an announcement on this. I have been trying to get what features are currently supported and I don't get a straight answer.

I went to the field today and got a big surprise as my GoPro battery was dead within the first few minutes of flight. Now I know the gimbal is not supplying power to the GoPro.
Maybe you didn't install the gimbal correctly. My battery charges fine. Even so, I always make sure I start out flights with a full charge.

As far as a straight answer goes, for now you can only start stop recording. I'm speculating this month for additional controls based on the discussions between devs at diydrones and github. It's all out in the open, but I guess they should do a better job keeping their own website up to date.

Thanks. I'm happy to know my internet search skills haven't failed me.

Maybe you didn't install the gimbal correctly. My battery charges fine. Even so, I always make sure I start out flights with a full charge.

As far as a straight answer goes, for now you can only start stop recording. I'm speculating this month for additional controls based on the discussions between devs at diydrones and github. It's all out in the open, but I guess they should do a better job keeping their own website up to date.

There are only two cables for the gimbal. One for control and one from HDMI output. I have both HDMI output and control so I believe its installed correctly.

I'll double check but when the GoPro is connected to power (e.g., powered USB from a computer or outlet) one of the lights on the front turns red which indicates its charging. This does not occur when I power the Solo on but the gimbal itself flashes green.

I'm pretty much super confused right now as well. Soooooooo.. currently the only thing that can be done is starting and stopping video. Wow - what superior integration! I'm sitting here with like, yeah ..... a monkey can fly Solo because all a monkey would want to do is put it in the sky and move it back and forth. You can't even power the gimbal off and on from the app or; if you can, I can't find the setting to do it.

I'm pretty much super confused right now as well. Soooooooo.. currently the only thing that can be done is starting and stopping video. Wow - what superior integration! I'm sitting here with like, yeah ..... a monkey can fly Solo because all a monkey would want to do is put it in the sky and move it back and forth. You can't even power the gimbal off and on from the app or; if you can, I can't find the setting to do it.
Monkeys get full GoPro integration. The rest of us will have to wait.

I sent a email to 3DR support last night asking about the integration. Lets see what their response is going to be. I pretty much listed out what functions I'm unable to get working but they work in all of the advertisements.

I'm not complaining (well kinda - I am), but for anyone who is also using DJI GO on a Phantom 3 knows what it's like to actually control the camera settings on the fly. Was anything other than stopping or starting video every advertised previously by 3DR? I'm not sure because after a while I stopped looking at the adverts and features until I had the full package.

... As far as a straight answer goes, for now you can only start stop recording. .

In another thread I had asked about 3DR stating on their site that you can press both preset buttons at the same time to snap a photo.

This doesn't work for me but perhaps it's because it can't be done while taking video, only if you take off with the Solo set to take images not video? Haven't gotten around to taking still images yet-- having too much fun with the video!

Why would you want to power the gimbal off and on? But no you can't do that...and yes the only thing you can do is turn the recording on and off (if the camera is set to video) or snap a picture if the camera is set to photo....and OBTW....you have to MANUALLY turn the camera on before you fly and don't forget to turn it off after you fly or the next time you fly you'll be without video because your gopro will be DOA:)

Why would you want to power the gimbal off and on? But no you can't do that...and yes the only thing you can do is turn the recording on and off (if the camera is set to video) or snap a picture if the camera is set to photo....and OBTW....you have to MANUALLY turn the camera on before you fly and don't forget to turn it off after you fly or the next time you fly you'll be without video because your gopro will be DOA:)

The gimbal charges the GoPro and it's set to turn itself off in 4 mins so I'm not worried about it ever being DOA. Turning the GP Off/On was just an example of functionality that could be added. You yourself just told me not to forget to turn the GoPro off when I'm done so, why can't the software do that for me?

I'm not complaining (well kinda - I am), but for anyone who is also using DJI GO on a Phantom 3 knows what it's like to actually control the camera settings on the fly. Was anything other than stopping or starting video every advertised previously by 3DR? I'm not sure because after a while I stopped looking at the adverts and features until I had the full package.
Dodge this is exactly why my solo is sitting on the shelf collecting dust and I am out flying the P3, it truly is RTF out of the box.

Dodge this is exactly why my solo is sitting on the shelf collecting dust and I am out flying the P3, it truly is RTF out of the box.

I totally get it. I had shelved my Solo and had been flying my I1 but I'm ready to give Solo it's shot to earn a spot on the team. I'm gonna give it a fair shake but the Solo software needs to be a little more robust.

Has anyone contributed Gimbal problems to using different battery in the GoPro? "wasabi" is a little bit lighter then a GoPro battery. Easy fix if it's a problem, just add the difference in weight. Right?

I totally get it. I had shelved my Solo and had been flying my I1 but I'm ready to give Solo it's shot to earn a spot on the team. I'm gonna give it a fair shake but the Solo software needs to be a little more robust.
Agreed, I am still waiting for the gimbal, so hope I can make a true comparison soon.

The gimbal charges the GoPro and it's set to turn itself off in 4 mins so I'm not worried about it ever being DOA. Turning the GP Off/On was just an example of functionality that could be added. You yourself just told me not to forget to turn the GoPro off when I'm done so, why can't the software do that for me?
Can you set the gopro to shut itself off after 4 minutes of inactivity? I need to do that. I will tell you that if you leave your gopro on (and it doesn't auto shut itself off, like i did) the gimbal won't have enough power to fire up your gopro in the dead battery condition. Maybe if you fly it around for awhile it will charge the battery and then you can land and turn the camera on...but if you put a dead gopro in the gimbal it will remain dead and not turn on even when the app and solo are fired up!

Can you set the gopro to shut itself off after 4 minutes of inactivity? I need to do that. I will tell you that if you leave your gopro on (and it doesn't auto shut itself off, like i did) the gimbal won't have enough power to fire up your gopro in the dead battery condition. Maybe if you fly it around for awhile it will charge the battery and then you can land and turn the camera on...but if you put a dead gopro in the gimbal it will remain dead and not turn on even when the app and solo are fired up!

Yeah, it's in the camera settings. The setting is labeled OFF - the O is actually a power symbol.

Screen Shot 2015-09-17 at 3.32.22 PM.png

Reactions: thetac

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44