Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just got myself a Solo 3DR. Flies great. I do not have the GoPro gimbal. I’ve wanted to know if their is something I’m missing or what, but my problem is, when I save the video feed of the app, it is not great quality during play back. If I hit record in the GoPro, I lose the live feed on my phone. Is that normal? I’ve gone into the video setting but no luck. I’ve seen some videos with great quality so theirs gotta be something I’m missing. I have a GoPro 4 silver. Thanks.

What kind of phone do you have?
The feed from Solo to your phone is just a 720 feed so you can see what the camera sees. The high quality recording is on the SD card inside the GoPro. You need to download that to see it. What kind of SD card are you using?

When you say you hit record in your GoPro do you mean your using the record button in the app?

You should not lose live feed. It's been discussed here before but I can't remember what the possible causes were.

What kind of phone do you have?
The feed from Solo to your phone is just a 720 feed so you can see what the camera sees. The high quality recording is on the SD card inside the GoPro. You need to download that to see it. What kind of SD card are you using?

When you say you hit record in your GoPro do you mean your using the record button in the app?

You should not lose live feed. It's been discussed here before but I can't remember what the possible causes were.

I’ve been doing a lot of reading in here. Seems like I have to have the GoPro gimbal?

So when I hit record is straight of the button on the go pro. Once I do that, the live feed on my phone goes offline.

I have an iPhone 7 and GoPro, drone, and remote are all up to date.

Nothing gets saved on my GoPro sd card. Everything gets saved on my phone from the solo app.

Something else that I’ve noticed it’s that, my GoPro Camera does not connect to the setting on the solo app. In other words, I cannot adjust nothing to the GoPro off the app.

I am thinking I need the gimbal for all that I’m asking. What do you think? Thank you.

Reactions: SlappHappyPappy
I’ve been doing a lot of reading in here. Seems like I have to have the GoPro gimbal?

To control the GoPro remotely, yes.
So when I hit record is straight of the button on the go pro. Once I do that, the live feed on my phone goes offline.

That's very strange. Are you sure that the GoPro is in Video mode? If it's in Photo mode, or Multi-Shot mode, that might interfere with the video feed.
Nothing gets saved on my GoPro sd card.

Then either you never really started recording, or your SD card is fubar (try a different one).
Something else that I’ve noticed it’s that, my GoPro Camera does not connect to the setting on the solo app. In other words, I cannot adjust nothing to the GoPro off the app

Correct. That can only be done through the gimbal.

To control the GoPro remotely, yes.

That's very strange. Are you sure that the GoPro is in Video mode? If it's in Photo mode, or Multi-Shot mode, that might interfere with the video feed.

Then either you never really started recording, or your SD card is fubar (try a different one).

Correct. That can only be done through the gimbal.

When I hit record on the GoPro, I can see the timer running. I can download that video just fine I to my computer. Tried 4 different sd cards. All different. I definitely don’t have it on any other mode other then video shoot.

Like I said, the live video feed works great, I just can’t figure out why it doesn’t save on the GoPro for better quality.

Hitting the record button on the GoPro works fine, but it’s such a let down when I can’t see where my drone is flying from a far since I lose the live feed.

All I can assume at the moment is that I need the GoPro gimbal that I see everyone have. Yet to find someone with this similar problem. Let me know what other advice you have. I keep trying and trying whatever I see. Thank you.

Does the GoPro record to the SD card when not connected to Solo?

If not, the camera is defective.

Yes it does record.
That is very odd. It should work fine in the fixed mount- gimbal not required.
I also have the 4 silver.

I use GoPro firmware v3 because it will turn on & off with Solo.

Do you have the correct camera selected in the Solo app?

You might try downgrading the GoPro firmware to 3.0. Here are the instructions but the link for the zip file doesn't work for me.

The new GoPro firmware update (v4.0) is compatible with your SOLO app video feed and settings will work just fine, however, it will no longer turn on along with your SOLO unit. This is permanent and probably that functionality will not be re-enabled for the new GoPro Fw, although this is not a final decision. Besides that, there's a video codec change that alters the video feed when recording on 2.7K and 4K. It will simply distortion the image that is displayed in the app (the live feed), but the video recorded on the GoPro itself is not affected by this.
In case you want to revert firmware to v3.0 to regain old functionality, the steps to downgrade the GoPro Firmware below:
1. Download the UPDATE.zip file for your camera. GoPro Firmware
2. Extract the files with the option Extract to UPDATE
3. Insert the SD card from the GoPro into the computer
4. Copy the UPDATE folder to the microSD card
5. Insert the SD card back into the GoPro
6. Turn on the GoPro. This will perform the downgrade (the camera will restart itself about 4 times during the downgrade, this is normal).

If it doesn't work for you maybe somebody will post where to find that file.

You might try downgrading the GoPro firmware to 3.0. Here are the instructions but the link for the zip file doesn't work for me.

The new GoPro firmware update (v4.0) is compatible with your SOLO app video feed and settings will work just fine, however, it will no longer turn on along with your SOLO unit. This is permanent and probably that functionality will not be re-enabled for the new GoPro Fw, although this is not a final decision. Besides that, there's a video codec change that alters the video feed when recording on 2.7K and 4K. It will simply distortion the image that is displayed in the app (the live feed), but the video recorded on the GoPro itself is not affected by this.
In case you want to revert firmware to v3.0 to regain old functionality, the steps to downgrade the GoPro Firmware below:
6. Turn on the GoPro. This will perform the downgrade (the camera will restart itself about 4 times during the downgrade, this is normal).

I will give that a shot. To your previous post, the settings on the solo app have the hero 4 silver selected, but doesn’t recognize at all. I’ve tried switching back and forth with the different GoPro option that it gives me, but no luck. I appreciate all the help.

I will give that a shot. To your previous post, the settings on the solo app have the hero 4 silver selected, but doesn’t recognize at all. I’ve tried switching back and forth with the different GoPro option that it gives me, but no luck. I appreciate all the help.
Those settings are not useful and do not work unless you have the SOLO Gimbal with a compatible GoPro installed to it.

You do not need the gimble for live feed from a gopro. Sounds to me like you are using the gopro app on your phone for the feed instead of the Solo app to get the feed. Be sure to turn wifi off on the gopro camera because it interferes with the wifi between drone and controller. You should then be able to monitor the camera live feed in the solo app. As for the live feed when using the gopro app. You would only use that when you are using the camera off of the solo, while recording the live feed will be blank. That is what happens on my phone and on my tablet. I suspect there may be some way to get it to work while recording but have not tried to figure that out.

I bought a refurbed GoPro. Post #6 in this thread offers two files. I used the 3.000 file.

First time I tried, I did not change the unzipped folder name to "UPDATE". After updating the folder name and copying the folder to the microSD card, the process worked. Down arrows in motion on the GoPro screen appeared several times. Now the camera works like a GP 4 with v3.0 firmware should. I checked the card and found that the "UPDATE" folder and its three files were automatically deleted during the update process. (All of this after a GoPro help desk person asserted that the camera could not be reverted from 5.0. )

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo