Go Pro 4 downloading and updating.... unexpected fact.

Reaction score
ELEMENTARY DR WATSON ! :

The no frills fact and conclusion:

TO UPDATE , TO HAVE THE GO PRO SOFTWARE RECOGNIZE YOUR CAMERA, YOU NEED THE ORIGINAL GO PRO CABLE!!!!!!!!!!!

After much frustration and detective work why sometimes it woks and some not. Hold on to the original gopro 4 cable and tag it distinct from the rest on your work area.
Result of not reading the finer print, I hope it saves you some frustration.

Guy

ELEMENTARY DR WATSON ! :

The no frills fact and conclusion:

TO UPDATE , TO HAVE THE GO PRO SOFTWARE RECOGNIZE YOUR CAMERA, YOU NEED THE ORIGINAL GO PRO CABLE!!!!!!!!!!!

After much frustration and detective work why sometimes it woks and some not. Hold on to the original gopro 4 cable and tag it distinct from the rest on your work area.
Result of not reading the finer print, I hope it saves you some frustration.

Guy
Thanks- good to know! How did you find out?

Well crap....what does one do if they get a Go Pro 4 from eBay without the original cable?

The original cable is printed go pro and has a thick plug which goes into the PC. But we accumulate cables over time

You can buy a gopro cable from the gopro web place . I don´t exactly know but the technology to put a chip in a cable has been around as apple i pads and other have it . I only found out after many attempts with my gopro 4 , then i started by process of elimination , as i have battery chargers with usb cables, and finally when i tried with the go pro cable the software detected the camera and everything worked.
Guy

Reactions: Maddog
You'll also find if you use an external mic on your GoPro, you have to use the GoPro approved 3.5mm adaptor, eBay copies from China are no use.

Seemingly there is an inline resistor (or similar component) hidden in the plastic mould of the cable.

I found this out after buying two cheap copies on eBay - I assumed there would surely be nothing complicated about a simple MIni USB to 3.5mm Jack adaptor.

Buy cheap, buy twice; or so they say.
(Its possible to modify and there are 'how to guides' if you Google).

Reactions: Maddog
You'll also find if you use an external mic on your GoPro, you have to use the GoPro approved 3.5mm adaptor, eBay copies from China are no use.

Seemingly there is an inline resistor (or similar component) hidden in the plastic mould of the cable.

I found this out after buying two cheap copies on eBay - I assumed there would surely be nothing complicated about a simple MIni USB to 3.5mm Jack adaptor.

Buy cheap, buy twice; or so they say.
(Its possible to modify and there are 'how to guides' if you Google).
Thanks Pie! I'm planning on adding an external mic so now I know not to cheap-out!

The original cable is printed go pro and has a thick plug which goes into the PC. But we accumulate cables over time

You can buy a gopro cable from the gopro web place . I don´t exactly know but the technology to put a chip in a cable has been around as apple i pads and other have it . I only found out after many attempts with my gopro 4 , then i started by process of elimination , as i have battery chargers with usb cables, and finally when i tried with the go pro cable the software detected the camera and everything worked.
Guy
Ah-so... I have a charger that charges 3 GoPro batteries at once and I tried to use that cable to connect my GoPro to my computer. I got an error message that said something that made me think I had a problem with the USB port. I never suspected the cable, but I stopped using in anyway.

You are supposed to be able to update it now using the GoPro app on your phone wirelessly. I've not seen this work yet, maybe next update

you can update any GO PRO Camera as well through the GO PRO app if you connect to your phone and use the APP..... also lets you view your work when you get done flying and you can save the small bits and pics straight to your phone instantly!!!

you can update any GO PRO Camera as well through the GO PRO app if you connect to your phone and use the APP..... also lets you view your work when you get done flying and you can save the small bits and pics straight to your phone instantly!!!
Have you done this? (Wireless update)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc