GNSS U-Blox M9N - Upgrade

Reaction score
Hello, guys

This is my first post.
I'm an EE and I work with U-Blox on a daily basis, mostly with WiFi modules (NINA).
My Solo has the rev A GNSS board and it takes time to acquire the satellites, I'm going to update the module only, not buy these 3rd party entire boards, I can get samples from U-Blox for free and they are only $25 on DigiKey if anyone wants to update as well.
I haven't seen anyone using a M9N that is much more precise than the M8N at the cost of higher power consumption (negligent on a drone).
From my research and a quick talk with a U-Blox FAE the modules are pin to pin compatible and the protocol is the same, the M9N should be backwards compatible with the 7 and 8.
My question is: Have anyone tried this? My samples are on the way and I will try and let the community know.
Another question: Does anyone know what is the difference between Rev A and B?

I also found out that there are newer and better taoglas antennas like the HP5010A

Comments and suggestions are welcome!

Last edited:
Hello, guys

This is my first post.
I'm an EE and I work with U-Blox on a daily basis, mostly with WiFi modules (NINA).
My Solo has the rev A GNSS board and it takes time to acquire the satellites, I'm going to update the module only, not buy these 3rd party entire boards, I can get samples from U-Blox for free and they are only $25 on DigiKey if anyone wants to update as well.
I haven't seen anyone using a M9N that is much more precise than the M8N at the cost of higher power consumption (negligent on a drone).
From my research and a quick talk with a U-Blox FAE the modules are pin to pin compatible and the protocol is the same, the M9N should be backwards compatible with the 7 and 8.
My question is: Have anyone tried this? My samples are on the way and I will try and let the community know.
Another question: Does anyone know what is the difference between Rev A and B?

I also found out that there are newer and better taoglas antennas like the HP5010A

Comments and suggestions are welcome!

What are you trying to accomplish with the M9N? It is marginally better accuracy than the Neo7 from the 3dr stock module, but isn't "high accuracy" like a RTK/PPK chip. Just curious what use case you would be trying to improve. I don't recall offhand what the difference between Rev A and Rev B was, but B was substantially better, and it was discussed at length on these forums. The various M8N replacements (like mRo) are great too.

I would be extremely interested in a ZED-F9P module that was drop-in compatible with Solo, especially with a small patch antenna like you linked. Drotek did this with the M8P, but being single frequency was frustrating to say the least.

Does anyone know what is the difference between Rev A and B?
REV A - Poor shielding and poor battery charge...if idle for a week, Solo would need to update constellation. Was a time sucker, 10 minutes maybe. 3DR had to make an improved copper shield to reduce the interference of near electronics.
REV B - Resolved both Rev A's issues. limited distribution or too late to the party...

mRo makes a drop in ready GPS for Solo, the best fitted GPS option available. What it should have been from the beginning...

@RichWest Thanks for the info, I can shield the antenna passives on my board as well.
mRo is a solution but my idea is to make a better one, mRo uses the M8N and I want to use the M9N along with a batter antenna.
M9N is a little better than the M8N but significantly better than the M7N.

I`m flying with mRo GPS u-Blox Neo-M8N + shield v2 = no isues at all
Can't comment on others if they are better or not, not compared

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc