Gimble burnout

Reaction score
Haven't flown in a couple a weeks but started up today and immediately started to smell that overheating smell. Heated the GoPro so hot on the gimble side that it burned my fingers. Now the gimble won't hold steady and smells burned on the arm closest to the GoPro. Still starts and stops the camera and transmits video fine. Anyone ever have this happen to them? I've maybe got 10 flights on this gimble. Expensive part to have go down.

Your post has been up for a while with no replies.
I haven't heard anyone having a Gimbal "Burnout"
Maybe warm to the touch, but never like the way your is.

What does 3DR say?

I have this problem as well. Smoke smell and gimbal clip very hot, measured it at 72 Celsius so shut it down. Think it needs replacing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haven't flown in a couple a weeks but started up today and immediately started to smell that overheating smell. Heated the GoPro so hot on the gimble side that it burned my fingers. Now the gimble won't hold steady and smells burned on the arm closest to the GoPro. Still starts and stops the camera and transmits video fine. Anyone ever have this happen to them? I've maybe got 10 flights on this gimble. Expensive part to have go down.
I had my first gimbal do the exact same. I also burned my thumb trying to remove the GoPro. I sent support ticket to 3DR and they sent me an RMA to have it replaced with a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My is the same after the latest update go pro feels very hot and the gimbal will not tilt up and down any more.
same here i test my solo sitting on the ground for almost 20 minutes without recording i noticed the gopro very hot but the gimbal is fine im hoping 3dr will fix in the next release.

A few days before the update I had my gimbal make a horid grinding sound. After several reboots I could not get it to stop. Manually moving the yaw axis around a bit and using a PC duster I got the noise to stop but I'm really doubtful that anything I did to "fix" it actually worked and it is more along the lines of a hardware error. Not too happy with 3DR at the moment having to wait for the new features to drop on android. Figured they would try to keep the open source community happy.

Replacement is on its way - Thanks 3DR for prompt and efficient turnaround!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lou Mannatti

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig