Gimbal Unearthed at Best Buy!

Reaction score
Hi guys, my first post.
I got my gimbal today at Best Buy. That's all well and good, but it's the how of it that makes the story!
I've been an RC pilot for over thirty-five years, with the last fifteen or so pretty much devoted to aerial video. Planes, helicopters, but until very recently no Quads. In fact, i didn't care much for them until I saw the Solo in the display at Best Buy - I thought "Now there's a cool-looking drone thingy! Might just give it a look-see..."
Well, I did, and after a long time dithering and dathering - at least forty-five seconds - I decided to pull the trigger. I turned to the girl that - I mean, the female salesperson - stood there. "Ma'am? Yes. I'd like to - ma'am? Ma'am? SIR OR MA'AM? Either gender will do just dandy longs it's an actual EMPLOYEE of this fine business establishment!"
Patience has certainly never been my strong suit but Lord have mercy, the kids these days! After awhile she heard me. Listened. Smiled. Turned to her computer. Smiled again winningly and told me "Very good sir, we expect a few to arrive hear the end of this month. Now, by pre-ordering you'll have the opportunity to -"
Back the truck up! There was a box, right there under the shelf, apparently holding one of the bloomin' things! I pointed it out.
And was told, basically, that it was there simply for appearances sake. The box was empty. I'd been had!
Well, not really. I didn't pre-order, but instead called another Best Buy near me and asked the status of their Solo situation. Nope, another girl told me, they didn't have any, but as a "hub" store (and holler three times and whistle Dixie if you know what that means), she could search the inventory of every store in our state for one. Break a leg, I said.
"Sir, it appears that Store XYZ has one. It's in XXX XXXXXX. You familiar with that area?"
Familiar? Heck yeah I was familiar! It was the store I'd just left! I got her name, asked her to call the forementioned store and have them hold it for me, and hustled to my pickup.
I headed straight to Customer Service. And was told:
The Solo had been in their warehouse for over a month. The employee who'd been assigned to stock it had forgotten it.
Forgotten.
The call from Store VVDXX lit a fire under their bum and the manager sent out a search party. The Solo was found huddling near a Samsung home theater outfit. It had never been in the system at all - only because of its shipping record to that store coupled with it having never been reported sold allowed it to surface.
Howsomever, I was happy. Fantastic machine! I love the buzzin' whizzin' thing.
Today I decided I wanted the gimbal. Got into my truck. Drove to Best Buy. Made enquiry. Was assured none were in stock - in fact the guy snickered at the very idea one might be. Hilarious, no?
Went home. Called Store VVDXX again. Spoke. Hung up, walked back to truck and drove.
Right back to Store XYZ where the gimbal was being unearthed on the other side of the Samsung home theatre system it had hidden under with the Solo from the day they'd arrived together.
Did I mention I'm not a patient man?
Harrumph! Well. Anyhow, tomorrow it's off to the wild blue yonder for a few aerial videographical miracles. Gimbal works great at home, but everyone:
Keepeth thy fingers crothssed!

Great story, glad you uncovered their stock. Seems common at Best Buy if the kids there don't feel like working they just simply don't and hide things. I had to pretty much pry both parts of my solo from their hands and show them exactly what and where they were when they Recieved them. Not to mention spelling 3 d r and solo for them as well as going behind the counter to point out what box my gimbal was in, this after two people said they couldn't find it. It all worked out and I too love my solo now.

I do have to give the kid yesterday credit though, apparently if something's on its way they let you do an in store pickup. Well after a couple impatient hours I finally called a second time to talk to a manager and to my suprise I didn't have too. The same kid who told me earlier I had to wait for the email confirmation actually woke up and went back in the warehouse to investigate where my gimbal was. Turns out they were just getting them from the big brown truck and he actually found it for me. Your story does make me wonder if mine was also stuck in a corner and the UPS story was just to sound good, it did seem odd to me that I could order things that weren't even delivered yet. I could hear while they searched but couldn't tell one way or the other, needless to say waiting for the search was a tense few minutes after all the delays. Oh well either way I've got a complete solo platform now and am loving it, ran a second battery through it with the gimbal earlier and it's working great.

Anyway fly safe and have fun with the new bird, the best thing I've done was add an fpvlr antenna and it's pretty close to perfect now.

Reactions: Earldgrayjr
Well, here is my Best Buy story. After spending weeks calling my local Best Buy daily, and checking their website daily, I found out from a very nice lady in customer service that they showed 1 Gimbal in stock in Thousand Oaks, but was only available for store pickup. I called my local store again, and they confirmed since Thousand Oaks was out of their district, they could not transfer it to their store. They also had no idea when they would be receiving the Gimbals. I called the Best Buy in Thousand Oaks and talked to a young man named Jason. He said they had one left, and could either ship it to me or to my local store. Great! Let's do it. After putting all my info into the computer, he hit a brick wall and said he was sorry, but he could not ship it after all, nor could he transfer it to my local store. He also said since it was the last one, he had to physically locate it. I asked if he could call me when he actually had it in hand, and he said yes. About 2 hours later he called and said he was looking at it as we spoke, and could hold it for me until end of business that day. I said to hold it, and he said it would be in customer service till 9 p.m. Since I was looking at a round trip of over 200 mi., I had to really think this over. No Gimbals in sight locally, and a 200+ mi. drive hoping it was really waiting for me. I called back and spoke to a young man named Matt in customer service. He promised me it was there with my name on it. So I hopped in my truck, ate dinner on the road, fought L.A. traffic, and arrived to indeed find a Gimbal with my name on it. I got home after 10 p.m., and went to bed very happy. A lot of kudos out to Jason and Matt at the Thousand Oaks Best Buy. They went above and beyond for me and I really appreciate their customer service.

Well, here is my Best Buy story. After spending weeks calling my local Best Buy daily, and checking their website daily, I found out from a very nice lady in customer service that they showed 1 Gimbal in stock in Thousand Oaks, but was only available for store pickup. I called my local store again, and they confirmed since Thousand Oaks was out of their district, they could not transfer it to their store. They also had no idea when they would be receiving the Gimbals. I called the Best Buy in Thousand Oaks and talked to a young man named Jason. He said they had one left, and could either ship it to me or to my local store. Great! Let's do it. After putting all my info into the computer, he hit a brick wall and said he was sorry, but he could not ship it after all, nor could he transfer it to my local store. He also said since it was the last one, he had to physically locate it. I asked if he could call me when he actually had it in hand, and he said yes. About 2 hours later he called and said he was looking at it as we spoke, and could hold it for me until end of business that day. I said to hold it, and he said it would be in customer service till 9 p.m. Since I was looking at a round trip of over 200 mi., I had to really think this over. No Gimbals in sight locally, and a 200+ mi. drive hoping it was really waiting for me. I called back and spoke to a young man named Matt in customer service. He promised me it was there with my name on it. So I hopped in my truck, ate dinner on the road, fought L.A. traffic, and arrived to indeed find a Gimbal with my name on it. I got home after 10 p.m., and went to bed very happy. A lot of kudos out to Jason and Matt at the Thousand Oaks Best Buy. They went above and beyond for me and I really appreciate their customer service.

Was going to go on a 200 mile trip yesterday to Frys in Fischer Indiana, never even heard of Fischer and never been to Frys since they aren't around here. Checked best buys site a minute before leaving and located mine at best buy a half hour away. It's amazing how desperate we got, congrats finally getting your hands on one. So far I'm pretty impressed with mine, everything is working well to this point.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig